Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: spectrum 3 position help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default spectrum 3 position help

I have a dx5e and channel 5 is off and on. I want to add a 3 posiion switch. Im very good with elecectronics and wiring. so nothing is too hard. Im just not sure how it would work. Has anybody done this???

Thankyou. even if you know how some one did a different radio I might be able to use a similar process.
If i figure this out ill be making a step by step for others.

ps I know how to use arduino, pwm, oscillascope. Im no pro tho thats why i figure Id ask for help.

Last edited by jh1985; 01-31-2014 at 05:30 PM.
jh1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #2

Default Re: spectrum 3 position help

I have literally sat here for the last hour pondering your debacle here and can honestly say this is a tuffy...
You may be able to accomplish this with if/then statements but I could see problems with this.
I found this Easy, Reversible Motor Control for Arduino (or any Microcontroller)
but depending on what you are wanting to control you may need different setups.

I hope this helps or maybe sparks your creativity, if I think of anything else I will post it up!
mwhite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhite17 View Post
I have literally sat here for the last hour pondering your debacle here and can honestly say this is a tuffy...
You may be able to accomplish this with if/then statements but I could see problems with this.
I found this Easy, Reversible Motor Control for Arduino (or any Microcontroller)
but depending on what you are wanting to control you may need different setups.

I hope this helps or maybe sparks your creativity, if I think of anything else I will post it up!
That could help. Thats one of my favorite sites. Im thinking winch or dual function lights. I really Just want the availability and so others can do it without going through what I am. The new version comes with a 3 pos.
I did learn that my trainer switch controlls channel 6 so this is actually a six channel radio. Just need to keep in mind you need the trainer for binding.
Im gonna test the channel to find out if its proprotional or not. If it is I can do it. If not Ill have to make an arduino controller for the truck.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

noy really familiar with that Tx but it sounds like your fifth channel is 2 position.
If so this may help...Winch Controller for Radio with 2 Position Third Channel

-
TOMCAT18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: spectrum 3 position help

best thing to do is open it up and spend some time with a multimeter and trace the pcb from the switch to see how they have interfaced it.

i did this with my DX3E and added the ability to use the aux channel as a true 3 pos or flip back to the spektrum style, what i found was that both of the buttons for the switch actually went back to one single pin on the microchip pic that spektrum used on the pcb.

the switch input rests high at 3.3v when no switch has been pressed i assume using the chips internal pullups as there were no external ones i could see following the pin and is pulled to ground through a 1% 10k resistor for switch up and pulled to ground through a 1% 5.6k for switch down.

either they have done something similar on that pcb but only wired in a 2p switch with the potential for a 3p later or that it is only capable of detecting a 2p switch being pulled high or low.

good luck

tony
Awesome-Sauce RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_g View Post
best thing to do is open it up and spend some time with a multimeter and trace the pcb from the switch to see how they have interfaced it.

i did this with my DX3E and added the ability to use the aux channel as a true 3 pos or flip back to the spektrum style, what i found was that both of the buttons for the switch actually went back to one single pin on the microchip pic that spektrum used on the pcb.

the switch input rests high at 3.3v when no switch has been pressed i assume using the chips internal pullups as there were no external ones i could see following the pin and is pulled to ground through a 1% 10k resistor for switch up and pulled to ground through a 1% 5.6k for switch down.

either they have done something similar on that pcb but only wired in a 2p switch with the potential for a 3p later or that it is only capable of detecting a 2p switch being pulled high or low.

good luck

tony
I did as you suggested and its only capable of detecting hi and low. Its 3.3 volt and it grounds out when you switch it. No way to add resistors to drop voltage the radio cant detect different voltage on that channel. I am going to use one of the sticks that i am not using. I locked the left stick in place so it only goes right to left then moved the potentiometer to a different place put a knob on it so i can control my winch at different speeds with 1 finger. Works great. im using channel 5 for lights. Just need to get a light controller for it.

spectrum 3 position help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 position and 3 position switches?? Laker67 Electronics 8 09-09-2010 09:49 PM
battery position frsttimer Newbie General 14 01-18-2008 08:14 PM
DX6, replacing the 2 position gear and aux switches for 3 position? 666 Electronics 10 04-30-2007 11:23 PM