Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 3Racing winch only one direction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #1

Default 3Racing winch only one direction

Hi guys,
I got a problem with my 3Racing winch.

When I press the switch on the control unit it only works in one direction.
That means, when I meter the voltage I get the values 0V, 0V, 6V(voltage of the supply), 0V.

Possible it could has to do with my former speed control which put the whole 7.2V into the control unit.

Has anyone an idea how to repair the control unit?

Thanks in advance
HamburgerJungeJr
HamburgerJungeJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2014, 01:16 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 3Racing winch only one direction

the voltage shouldnt be a problem as its stated as supposedly being fine with a 7.2v stick pack, some people on here will even tell you they have been happily running theirs from a 3s lipo as long as you dont let it stall.

aside from binning it and buying another controller the only other thing you could do if you are"tech savvy" and not intimidated by smd components is to tear of the heatshrink and probe the transistors/fets whilst operating to see if any of those have died.

im not completely sure of their circuit as mine was chucked when i got it in favor of my own but from pictures i have seen with the heatshrink removed there are 6 SOT23 case transistors or fets on the pcb, and assuming they have gone the route of the traditional H bridge their would be possibly 4N channel and 2 P channel.

2 of the N channels would typically be used to switch the 2 P channels and the remaining 2 would be used to switch the load negative for forwards/backwards, possibly if one of thos had died then that could cause no operation in one direction but that could also be the case with any of them, also if you were to identify a suspect part then identifying the specific part number would have to be done to find a replacement.

its alot of work as opposed to just buying a new one unless youre a tinkerer like me (lol) then its just fun
Awesome-Sauce RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Are you using the controller that came with the winch? If so they usually don't last long if you really give them a hard workout. I would check into a Heyok winch controller. I got one for my 3racing winches and have never looked back and I run 3s to them.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:11 AM   #4

Thanks for your replys.

@Tony_G
I think you misunderstood me. My speed control put 7.2 V into the reciever and into the control wires of the control unit.

@hatefulboy
I will have a look on these Controllers.

HamburgerJungeJr
Old 02-02-2014, 06:19 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Hamburg also check your end points on your radio. They should be set to 120% or as high as your radio allows. I made the mistake once and had them set at 100% and the winch wwouldn't work at all.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #6

Hi Hatefulboy,

I have the problem, when I use the switch on the control unit, too.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

HeyOk winch controller
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm guessing that parts are going to be hard to come by in Germany? But I believe the winch controller you have is kaput. On thing to try just to make sure take a battery and plug it to the red and black wires coming from the winch and see if runs, then reverse the red and black and see if runs the other direction. If so then the winch controller is bad for sure. If so buy a winch controller from Heyok.

3Racing winch only one direction - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3Racing winch issue - only pulls one direction Nickle Electronics 7 08-04-2013 09:08 PM
AX10- 3racing dig Runnng Direction Arctic Fire Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 10-10-2011 05:16 PM
3racing winch spool in only one direction? nafie Electronics 5 06-27-2011 12:09 PM
Who sells Warn winch decals for 3racing winch? Wild Snapper Scale Accessories 6 12-03-2009 06:38 PM