Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Does charge rate effect run time lipo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Does charge rate effect run time lipo?

Just as it says ive got some lipo packs that are getting on in there lifespan and starting to dump early. i was wondering if charging at a lower amperage lik 1a vs my regular 4a will improve runtime? Any other tricks for improving runtime on lipo packs?
Reaxion911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
What could go wrong?

Default Re: Does charge rate effect run time lipo?

Shouldn't do, no. You're just making the charger push more slowly, essentially. If you don't balance charge, I'd advise picking up a cheap balancer as well.

I'm sure others will chime in as well .
Noll11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It depends on the charger. One of my flying buddies uses the same packs that I do. If he charges at 2c with his china charger it finishes quickly and and doesn't quite fill the pack. When I charge the same packs at 2c with my Hyperion the algorithm slows down the charge rate so much near the end of the charge that it fills it up like you started on 1c. At the end of the charge that started at 5amps the Hyperion is charging at .15amps. I don't think his china charger slows down any where near that much at the end and it finishes more abruptly.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, you're not gonna get the same results when using a high quality charger compared to a cheap piece of crap.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have both cheap dual and quality chargers. I Always balance charge
Old 02-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

So no tricks for gaining runtime on experienced packs?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Are you not getting full charges? Does your charger show capacity as a percentage? If not, do you have a lipo meter?
Old 02-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaxion911 View Post
So no tricks for gaining runtime on experienced packs?
If you're charging at the suggested C rate and each cell is 4.2v, then there is nothing else you can do. Packs don't last forever.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I charge most of my packs at 1C, although some of my larger lipos I'll charge at 1.5C (I'm talking about 5 cells or bigger 5000+ mAh lipos, even though they're rated for 5C charging). Always balance charge and never run them down past 3.7V per cell. I have had lipos last 4+ years with heavy usage for some of my smaller airplanes. Most of time I'll 'retire' a battery due to the balancing wires pulling out of the battery. My current batch of 2s5000 packs for some of my trucks are around 3 years old and still going strong. Having a decent charger is a must, and I know a lot of people balk at spending $200 for a charger and/ or power supply but it's a worthwhile investment for RC hobbies.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Having a decent charger is a must, and I know a lot of people balk at spending $200 for a charger and/ or power supply but it's a worthwhile investment for RC hobbies.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
I charge most of my packs at 1C, although some of my larger lipos I'll charge at 1.5C (I'm talking about 5 cells or bigger 5000+ mAh lipos, even though they're rated for 5C charging). Always balance charge and never run them down past 3.7V per cell. I have had lipos last 4+ years with heavy usage for some of my smaller airplanes. Most of time I'll 'retire' a battery due to the balancing wires pulling out of the battery. My current batch of 2s5000 packs for some of my trucks are around 3 years old and still going strong. Having a decent charger is a must, and I know a lot of people balk at spending $200 for a charger and/ or power supply but it's a worthwhile investment for RC hobbies.
Road rascal which charger you talking about. I need to get one. I have 3s 850 lipo.
Thanks
Madmax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #12
~THE SCALE SHOP~

in my old NiCad racing days it did. a fast high C charge would discharge harder but not last as long.
a slow trickle charge would last a bit longer but not have as much punch.
no clue if true or not, but that was the consensous.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:38 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
in my old NiCad racing days it did. a fast high C charge would discharge harder but not last as long.
a slow trickle charge would last a bit longer but not have as much punch.
no clue if true or not, but that was the consensous.
A slow charge is better because it spreads the charge more evenly over the entire inner surface.
This maximize the capacity and I see no reason why it shouldn't also be able to deliver at least as high current as if fast charged.

Another aspect to consider is the number of cycles.
Higher charge rates "eat" permanent capacity faster from the battery, so after 200 recharges a battery that's always been charged at 1.5C will have notably less capacity than one of same make/model/batch that's always been charged at 0.5C.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
A slow charge is better because it spreads the charge more evenly over the entire inner surface.
This maximize the capacity and I see no reason why it shouldn't also be able to deliver at least as high current as if fast charged.

Another aspect to consider is the number of cycles.
Higher charge rates "eat" permanent capacity faster from the battery, so after 200 recharges a battery that's always been charged at 1.5C will have notably less capacity than one of same make/model/batch that's always been charged at 0.5C.
You're correct as far as lips are concerned but he's referencing NiCd/Nihm betteries.

As far as older battery types the charge rate absolutely made a difference. We would charge our 1700 scr packs at 2 amps till they peaked then right before lining them up crank it up to 10 amps fore initial hit off the line. That higher peak would last about half a lap.
WHITE-TRASH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
You're correct as far as lips are concerned but he's referencing NiCd/Nihm betteries.

As far as older battery types the charge rate absolutely made a difference. We would charge our 1700 scr packs at 2 amps till they peaked then right before lining them up crank it up to 10 amps fore initial hit off the line. That higher peak would last about half a lap.
I don't miss nicad racing one bit. Having the pack dump on the last lap sucked.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
I don't miss nicad racing one bit. Having the pack dump on the last lap sucked.
That's a fact! I stepped away from everything rc for years because battery technology was crap.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
As far as older battery types the charge rate absolutely made a difference.
... crank it up to 10 amps fore initial hit off the line. That higher peak would last about half a lap.
That's a completely different story. What you did was to overcharge the battery, giving it a slightly higher initial voltage that, as noted, lasted a short while.
What you also did was to permanently reduce the total capacity by ~10% (according to a study performed at a Swedish college a couple of years back), so I suppose the packs weren't useful for that many runs.

It would also be interesting to know the difference in top speed at lap 20 between a "supercharged" battery compared to a slowly charged one...
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
That's a completely different story. What you did was to overcharge the battery, giving it a slightly higher initial voltage that, as noted, lasted a short while.
What you also did was to permanently reduce the total capacity by ~10% (according to a study performed at a Swedish college a couple of years back), so I suppose the packs weren't useful for that many runs.

It would also be interesting to know the difference in top speed at lap 20 between a "supercharged" battery compared to a slowly charged one...
So every time we cranked up the amperage we reduced the capacity by 10%... That study may have said that but our real world experience says different. Did our technique shorten over all cell life? Certainly but the capacity remained pretty close to advertised.

Nicad and nihm batteries acted far different depending on charge rate. A slow 1 amp charge would last a long time but top speed was reduced. A higher charge rate made the top speed at the expense of run time.

i haven't noticed that effect in lipo batteries.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

10% my ass..........we used to nuke our packs daily and there certainly was no 10% drop in runtime....we would see a drop over time sure, but nothing like a 10% rate, I doubt it was even 1%.

But to answer the OP question, regardless of battery type....higher charge rates will over time shorten cell life, not only reducing runtime but increase resistance and within time lower voltage curves.

Don't buy into the no memory crap either.....NICADs were by far the worst, but anyone who raced when NIMH hit the scene can recall the whole "they have no memory" crap we were told. NIMH had memory as well, just not as bad as NICADs....Lithium packs have it as well, its just greatly reduced...

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

There's nothing wrong with high charge rates on a lipo as long as the battery is designed for it. Most of mine are charged at 3C except for the few that the mfr. states 1C charge rate max.

Does charge rate effect run time lipo? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lipo charge rate? (first time charging) dogsofwar Newbie General 18 08-26-2011 06:12 PM
charge rate for Blue 2s lipo 2200mah? bluenosegoat Electronics 5 01-07-2011 05:10 PM
Lipo charge time? ba450crf Electronics 10 06-06-2010 10:44 AM
Alien gets 5 hours run time on a 6 hour charge - WTF? Doc Mojave Electronics 3 03-02-2010 08:18 PM
lipo run time spgrading Electronics 2 12-27-2009 09:56 PM