Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What's up with my HH Crawlmaster 13T?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What's up with my HH Crawlmaster 13T?

I just finished the build of my Wraith and I wanted to see how it does. I took it outside and played around with a mixture of full throttle passes and some small crawling up 4x4 blocks of wood, etc. The crawling seemed very off. There was no finesse, I would have to give it 3/4 throttle just to get the tires slightly moving, once they started moving it was way to much wheel spin. I have a stock Ridgecrest and it can climb them no problem and I've never had this kind of issue so that's why I'm a little thrown off.

Anyway, even though today is only 54 degrees outside I made sure to keep an eye on the temps. Temps were between 95-105 on the motor can. Well I tried crawling up the side of my deck. The deck is around 6" off the ground, it had already climbed it several times but this time the motor started smoking. I immediately turned everything off and checked the temp again and it was still at 105 degrees. So what's going on?? I'm using the stock AE-2 ESC, a 5000mah 25c 2s battery. I did extend the power cables to the ESC using 4mm gold plated bullet connectors, I posted about this last week and I was told that would not create any issues. The ESC connects to the motor using the same 4mm bullet connectors.

I let it set for a minute and turned it back on and the top speed seems to be the same, although I did not try crawling up anything again.

It's a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster 13T, 32P 56T Spur and 16T Pinion, which is the recommended spur and pinion in Harleys motor recommendation thread.

Edit: Forgot to add that it's the Expert model which is supposed to be broken in before it's sent out.

Last edited by Mudfrog; 02-02-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: What's up with my HH Crawlmaster 13T?

A 16t pinion seems a little big for that combo on a 2.2 rig. I run a 1.9 and I use a 12t 32p and it gives good wheelspeed.

I'm betting you smoked your motor, your can was still cool due to the ambient temp, but inside I bet it was HOT.

Snow put a lot of strain on an RC..

From HH website

Quote:
IMPORTANT!! For use in the Axial Wrath on 3s lipo (11.1v) you must use a 16t pinion to avoid overheating the motor!!
A 16t 32p is vastly different from a 16t 48p.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I wasn't running in the snow. I have a 12T pinion I can install, I didn't see anything stating a 16T is different in 32p, wish I knew that. I ran it for a few minutes a little bit ago and it seemed fine. What signs should I look for? If it is smoked is it rebuildable?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
RCC Addict

48P or 32P doesn't matter, it's the gear ratio that matters. Stock is 80/20 which is a 4:1 ratio. Holmes suggests 16T which would make it a 5:1 ratio.

When changing to 32P and get the same ratio you'll need 56/11 (roughly), but 56/12 should be close enough. I run 56/12 in my Wraith with a 16T Crawlmaster and that combo works great.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I swapped to a 12T pinion and the motor seems much stronger and appears to run fine, except from the burning smell... Anyone know if the rebuild service covers this type of an issue?

What's up with my HH Crawlmaster 13T? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESC for crawlmaster 13t merin_83 Axial Wraith 3 07-22-2013 08:10 AM
13t crawlmaster + 5s ? brianw Axial SCX-10 5 07-06-2012 09:02 PM