Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: MRC Motor Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.
Default MRC Motor Issue

So I was out in the backyard screwing around with my MRC and then all of a sudden it stops. Still has steering but won't move forward or backwards. My set up is a CC sidewinder micro, CC bec, team brood frenzy motor, and a hitec 5645 all being controlled by a MX-3FG. If I give it a nudge and apply throttle it'll move forward. But if I try this with reverse it won't move at all. I can't even get it to roll with my foot. I have no idea what's going on or how to fix it. It worked last time I ran it.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: MRC Motor Issue

Sounds like the brushes is the motor are toast. Time to penny up and buy a new motor.
iluvdrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdrt View Post
Sounds like the brushes is the motor are toast. Time to penny up and buy a new motor.
I'll have to take a look at the brushes. I haven't used this motor that much though. I do have a brushless system for it though. Eh, it was only $20 for the motor so not to big a deal if it pooped out on me.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I never had much luck with the brood motors. I think he uses very soft brushes and comms.
iluvdrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Soft comms? Copper is copper, not really such thing as a soft comm or a hard one. The copper type is the same as any other comm out there.

They are fairly soft brushes, so when stuff starts to go bad, they will give way faster than a hard brush....however they are better at preventing stuff from going bad in the first place. They are machine wound motor from a factory that no longer exists, as the owner died....didn't design the unit, just found something that works....and was a good deal.

I've ran my grabbed from the box not even broken in Frenzy in my MRC for over a year without an issue. Even dunked it through water a few times...still ran.

A few things to remember about the MRC.

1. The stock gearing sucks, its way to high. The spur gear mod is simple and gets you a much better ratio for any motor. (search for people who have done it)
2. The drivetrain in an MRC isn't the smoothest thing in the world. It's hard on motors....when it doubt flip it over, as it will eat any motor for lunch if given the chance.
3. The MRC is not a race truck....some people like to drive it like it is. When combined with the bad stock gearing and unforgiving drivetrain, smoking a motor WILL happen.

Its possible you smoked the arm. Not saying you did anything wrong, its just a fairly unforgiving truck towards motors (only the wraith beats it in motor destroyed count).

I would pull the brushes out, see what they look like....if they looked burnt, probably toasted the arm....time for another motor.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Soft comms? Copper is copper, not really such thing as a soft comm or a hard one. The copper type is the same as any other comm out there.

They are fairly soft brushes, so when stuff starts to go bad, they will give way faster than a hard brush....however they are better at preventing stuff from going bad in the first place. They are machine wound motor from a factory that no longer exists, as the owner died....didn't design the unit, just found something that works....and was a good deal.

I've ran my grabbed from the box not even broken in Frenzy in my MRC for over a year without an issue. Even dunked it through water a few times...still ran.

A few things to remember about the MRC.

1. The stock gearing sucks, its way to high. The spur gear mod is simple and gets you a much better ratio for any motor. (search for people who have done it)
2. The drivetrain in an MRC isn't the smoothest thing in the world. It's hard on motors....when it doubt flip it over, as it will eat any motor for lunch if given the chance.
3. The MRC is not a race truck....some people like to drive it like it is. When combined with the bad stock gearing and unforgiving drivetrain, smoking a motor WILL happen.

Its possible you smoked the arm. Not saying you did anything wrong, its just a fairly unforgiving truck towards motors (only the wraith beats it in motor destroyed count).

I would pull the brushes out, see what they look like....if they looked burnt, probably toasted the arm....time for another motor.

Later EddieO
Cool, so I have a check list of what I need to look at. Should be able to do it tomorrow. I really need to do the spur mod and I'll probably end up ordering another motor from you just as a back up. I was just kinda stumped and pissed off when it happened. Thanks for the help guys.

MRC Motor Issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
esc / rx issue on losi mrc? crawlerpat Electronics 2 09-27-2013 08:15 PM
losi mrc xcelorin issue ax10tn Electronics 5 06-20-2012 11:48 AM
MRC Steering issue 2.2u Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 10 03-06-2010 03:47 PM
MRC Issue Not Operating anymore... wangankin Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 02-22-2010 10:10 PM
Losi MRC Steering issue llinneman Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 09-23-2008 09:15 AM