Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: FXR Forward/Reverse Mix Up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default FXR Forward/Reverse Mix Up

I've got an RC4WD G2 that I've just put together and just wrapped up the electronics. This is my first non-plug-and-play electronics set up. I'm having a problem getting everything ironed out.

Equipment is as follows:

Flysky GT3B TX
Hobbyking 6CH RX (CH1 is steering and CH2 is throttle)
Tekin FXR (plugged into an extension with the red lead removed)
CC BEC (plugged into BAT port on the RX)
HiTec HS-5645MG
Holmes Torquemaster Expert 540, 35T
2S Lipo

With everything plugged in and ready to go I had to reverse the steering (the G2 puts the servo in reversed orientation, so no problem). The throttle worked correctly though, forward and reverse are proper. Pull the trigger and go forward, push the trigger and go reverse.

When it came time to do the radio calibration and brake settings on the FXR I found a problem. The brake only works when going from reverse to forward. If I go from forward to reverse it immediately changes direction. Also, in the calibration mode (leave it neutral, then pull 100% forward, then push 100% reverse) I have to push reverse when the directions say forward and pull forward when the directions say reverse.

Any pointers?

I've checked all the positive/negative orientation on the BAT, ESC, and motor. Everything checks out... hmm...
Honger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: FXR Forward/Reverse Mix Up

The fxr lights should ramp up from left to right when you pull the throttle for forward motion. Make sure they are doing that, then if when you pull the throttle for forward motion and the rig goes in reverse direction swap the wires on the motor around. Make sure you have the timing correct for reverse polarity or that the motor has zero timing....if timed at zero it doesn't matter which way the motor spins and there will be no speed difference between forward and reverse directions.

Drag brag should work in both directions, how strong it is is up to you as far as the setting you choose. Instant reverse and brake cannot both work at the same time. If you choose instant reverse you will have no brake but you will have the drag brake function when you let of the throttle.

You can set it to have a braking function by selecting reverse delay in the settings, it will be a double tap to get to reverse from the throttle trigger and will allow you to have brakes on the first tap of the trigger. Drag brake will still function in that mode.

Do you have the hot wire ? Makes setting it up and changes much easier !

I am not sure with your radio, but with the futaba radios you have to have the throttle setting set in the reverse mode for the radio to calibrate like it should.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 02-09-2014 at 01:15 PM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
KMS
Rock Crawler

Here's a nice video from Tekin ,,I have used it to help me ,,,Explanes a few items that might help,,,Robert,,,
Radio Calibration and adjustments - YouTube
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:04 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
The fxr lights should ramp up from left to right when you pull the throttle for forward motion. Make sure they are doing that, then if when you pull the throttle for forward motion and the rig goes in reverse direction swap the wires on the motor around. Make sure you have the timing correct for reverse polarity or that the motor has zero timing....if timed at zero it doesn't matter which way the motor spins and there will be no speed difference between forward and reverse directions.
So when I pull the throttle forward it goes from right to left... so it's reversed. However, the car moves forward appropriately.

Timing is zero... so I could swap the wires on the motor around.

Quote:
Drag brag should work in both directions, how strong it is is up to you as far as the setting you choose. Instant reverse and brake cannot both work at the same time. If you choose instant reverse you will have no brake but you will have the drag brake function when you let of the throttle.

You can set it to have a braking function by selecting reverse delay in the settings, it will be a double tap to get to reverse from the throttle trigger and will allow you to have brakes on the first tap of the trigger. Drag brake will still function in that mode.
You are right about drag brake being both directions... I meant reverse/brake. So I've set the reverse/brake to be Proportional Brake with Reverse Delay. However, when I swing the throttle switch from forward to reverse (pull to push) it instantly changes direction... but if I swing the throttle switch from reverse to forward (push to pull) it does the proportional braking. So the controls are reversed in the ESC, yet the car moves the correct direction.

One of the clear solutions here is to switch the wires on the motor... and then also switch the radio throttle channel to reverse. That just feels half-assed to me. However, it sounds like this is a fairly routine part of putting all these electronics together. Is that so?

Quote:
Do you have the hot wire ? Makes setting it up and changes much easier !

I am not sure with your radio, but with the futaba radios you have to have the throttle setting set in the reverse mode for the radio to calibrate like it should.
I do have the Hot Wire... and I'll plug in tonight and take a look at the settings.

Sounds like my radio is like the Futabas... I'll need to reverse the throttle channel. But also reverse the wires on the motor.

Can you confirm that these kind of swaps... wires on the motor and reverse channels... are just part of getting it set up?

Thanks,
Joel
Old 02-10-2014, 02:05 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
Here's a nice video from Tekin ,,I have used it to help me ,,,Explanes a few items that might help,,,Robert,,,
Radio Calibration and adjustments - YouTube
That is a handy video, nicely illustrates a few of the on-board options. Thanks for pointing me this way.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Just to wrap this thread up, here's how I solved my issue:
1. Turned the motor end bell 180* (same result as just swapping the motor leads).
2. Set my radio's Channel 2 to reverse orientation.

Now, when I pull my trigger the rig moves forward, when I push the trigger the rig moves reverse, and the "Proportional Brake with Reverse Delay" setting functions in the right manner (ie. when rapidly moving from forward to reverse it functions as a brake; when delaying the transition to reverse it functions as reverse).
Old 02-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
KMS
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honger View Post
That is a handy video, nicely illustrates a few of the on-board options. Thanks for pointing me this way.
I read the instruction Manuel ,had trouble fig-n it out until I watched the vid ,, Yes it helped me too ,,,I like my ,,fx-r,, its a great esc, Some day need to invest in a Hot wire ,,Glad it helped,,,Robert,,,
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote

FXR Forward/Reverse Mix Up - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
forward is reverse? idunnowatimadoin Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 06-22-2016 07:53 PM
no forward/reverse hEdly Electronics 8 07-16-2011 10:33 AM
Forward? Reverse? HELP! cipe Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 9 01-16-2010 02:17 PM
won't go forward/reverse nothinbutpower Electronics 11 10-20-2008 10:57 PM
More reverse than forward with a MM rocktoy Electronics 7 03-25-2008 11:24 PM