Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Question about radios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Question about radios

Right now I use a traxxas tqi for all seven of my rigs. I picked it up cheap because I wanted one radio for everything. It is supposed to automatically switch vehicles when you power on that vehicle. I have a problen with it not doing this. Most of the time I will have tk rebind the receiver and then it will bring up the model I'm wanting to use. But, onto another problem, it uses an ios device and my old iphone is getting to the point that it won't hold a charge anymore.

I'm looking at picking up a new radio to solve all my issues, hopefully. Something with a built in screen and selectable models. The receiver is a pain to get to on just about every one of my vehicles. I'm leaning towards a futaba 4pls. I had read about the flysky radios being good but even though it has model memory you still have to rebind every time you use a different receiver. I have looked but I can not find a definite answer on the futaba, does it require you to rebind every time you want to switch vehicles? If it does, what radio out there doesn't?
maxxa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Location: Between the thoughts of yesterday and the ideas of tomorrow
Default Re: Question about radios

I have a Hacked Flysky. IT works great. True you do have to bind to the different vehicles(multiple rx's) but after you do that, just select it on the screen, click the toggle button and power on/off to set it. Plus the rx's are only 7-12 dollars depending on 3-6 channels
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You don't have to rebind. Once you bind the Rx, it's done. It's extremely easy to switch vehicles through the Tx on the Futaba.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:37 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Ok thanks. I read on two or three other forums when I was google searching radios that with the flysky you had to rebind every time even though it saved settings for up to so many models. Maybe no one knows you have to turn it off to set which model you want to use. I will need to make a run to the kocal hobby shop and see if they have any out of the box so I can try and hold each one and see which one I like the feel of.

If anyone has any other things I should look for or experiences good or bad to add about any of the 4 channel pistol radios it would be appreciated. I've been reading and watching reviews and comparisons for the last couple days but more advice never hurts.

Last edited by maxxa87; 02-14-2014 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:45 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The futaba's are great radios but IMO a pain in the butt to program at first till you learn the menu system. IMO the spektrum a are amazing radios because they are easy to program and most of the time you won't need to look in a book to program them and receivers are getting super cheap since there are so many out there. On the computer radios it would be extremely rare that you would lose binds to receivers. The cheaper basic/rtr radios normally don't have model memory.
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

+1 for spektrum, I use a dx4s for me and I am waiting for the dx4c to be Released so I can get one for my wife's rig.
idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

That's funny most forum threads I had read people complained about spectrum stuff glitching or losing the bind so I hadn't even priced their 4 channel radio.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I like my stock gtc3. Once you bind a receiver to it all you have to do is push the big chrome button twice, turn it to choose whichever model you want to run and push the end button. No re-binding needed.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

+1 more for dx4s. Agreed that Futuba is good but programming is tedious.
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
Got Worms?

On the Flysky's, when you bind an rx to the radio the rx "remembers" the radio. So once its bound to that radio you should never have to bind it again unless you change radios.

You will, however, have to change the model in the radio so you have the proper settings in each car.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I'm not seeing the issue using a Futaba. The two 3 ch. radio's I had and now the 4PL, they're pretty easy to program...after reading the manual like 15 times. However, the T8J heli radio I have is a bitch!! Extremely frustrating. Now that thing makes me want to get an 8 ch. Spektrum!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I ended up pulling the trigger on a 4pls new in bpx for 220 shipped on ebay. The sensors are ridiculous but I'm wondering if maybe I can make my own. A google search says traxxas sensors won't work, the futabas have something inline on the wire. I was going to pick up a couple of the micro non-telemetry rxs from one of the shops that had the tx at 220-230 but the price of those was retail so I figured I'd wait and try out the radio first.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
I'm not seeing the issue using a Futaba. The two 3 ch. radio's I had and now the 4PL, they're pretty easy to program...after reading the manual like 15 times. However, the T8J heli radio I have is a bitch!! Extremely frustrating. Now that thing makes me want to get an 8 ch. Spektrum!
If you want a great air radio IMO the best is the hitec arura 9x. It's touch screen and you can put any module you want in it unlike any for the spektrum radios. I think the spektrum radios for air are trash if you don't have a dsmx rx.
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by some87 View Post
If you want a great air radio IMO the best is the hitec arura 9x. It's touch screen and you can put any module you want in it unlike any for the spektrum radios. I think the spektrum radios for air are trash if you don't have a dsmx rx.
I almost went for the Hitec, but instead dropped $330 for the Futaba and the aluminum case for it. I could try to sell it.

Question about radios - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about ground radios and receivers for Wraith halifax Newbie General 2 01-25-2014 05:20 AM
Stick vs. Pistol Grip for 4+ Channel Radios Question disjaukifa Electronics 4 09-16-2010 08:32 PM
Question about radios shadowrejects Electronics 11 11-11-2009 03:36 PM
newbie question about radios bigz57 Electronics 2 05-10-2009 01:59 PM
The newbie has a question about radios cmdrpopnfresh Electronics 5 04-13-2008 09:06 PM