Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Differences in winch brands?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 12:29 AM   #1

Default Differences in winch brands?

While fiddling with my radiopost transmitter to try and get it to switch through all 3 gears on my tamiya high lift, I also uncovered a way to disable the steering, and control ch4 with the steering wheel, which instantly made me want a winch...

I started looking, and found a few things... I could get a 3racing winch, and a control system for around $22 shipped on eBay...

Or I could get an rc4wd winch sans controller for around $35 with who knows how much shipping...
Could I use a servo board as a winch controller?

Is there any noticeable difference between the cheap winches, and the expensive winches?
If not, then I'm definitely going cheap... But if the rc4wd winches are noticeably more powerful, I might go for one of those, and try to use a servo board as a winch controller (I have used them as small speed controllers in the past)

Thanks!
user unrelated is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Differences in winch brands?

I'd suggest a Heyok winch controller over a servo board so you won't have any problems with winch drift, I have the rc4wd winch and I can say it's a strong little bastard, it will lift my scx10 off the ground no problem, I would replace the steel cable first thing if you do go with the rc4wd mine snapped super quick.
idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho View Post
I'd suggest a Heyok winch controller over a servo board so you won't have any problems with winch drift, I have the rc4wd winch and I can say it's a strong little bastard, it will lift my scx10 off the ground no problem, I would replace the steel cable first thing if you do go with the rc4wd mine snapped super quick.

Which model do you have and what did you replace the cable with?
Jeff@TireBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #4

I dug through my holiday gift-card reserves, and found a $35 amazon gift code...
and then, while on amazon, I found a bulldog winch for $35 plus shipping...
It comes with the controller, steel cable, and a king-kong tow hook (things that I would get for the 3racing winch anyway)
Also, on RC4wd, it states that the winch comes with a spare gearbox, which would be awesome if it did...
The amazon page states that the winch is from RC4wd, but doesn't really do much describing, so I am HOPING (expecting) that it will come in the original RC4wd packaging with the spare gearbox and everything.

so that looks like the best deal right now, and also because I can't think of anything else to buy on amazon.
Plus, I can get a red one, instead of a gunmetal one that I don't really want... AND, I like the way the bulldog winch looks way better than either the 3racing one, or the RC4wd one.

The vendor only had one left in stock, so I totally just sniped that.
Now I am excited to get it!...
Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

The bulldog winch is the rc4wd winch. It's been discontinued for the new warn 9.5 model that was released a few months back. They are good winches but won't have much support now that the new model is out. Either way you'll like it.

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

No scale winch is going to have the power of a good converted servo winch. I run a BB 630MG with a Heyok controller and it spanks my RC4WD winch plus it costs less.

If you're looking for good winch cable, try bow fishing line. The local archery shop sold me 12 feet for a buck and it is incredibly strong, doesn't kink and doesn't fray.
CBR74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #7

I am sure the bulldog winch with its steel cable will be fine. I don't plan on trying to winch my super heavy high-lift up any vertical cliffs, the duty will be mostly for decoration, and the occasional "I can't get enough traction up this hill, let's use a winch instead of just pushing it win my foot" :p

Are the gearboxes different between the warn, and bulldog winches? I see a lot of "generic" winch gearboxes out there and was wondering which ones would work.
I HIGHLY doubt I'll be breaking a gearbox, but you never know...

Differences in winch brands? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 suspension brands Cme4293 Axial SCX-10 15 01-12-2014 01:47 AM
Choosing parts/brands filabob1 Newbie General 8 10-20-2012 11:31 PM
Laptop brands losikid Chit Chat 32 12-09-2011 07:35 PM
What are some lipo pack brands are you using? CarLo Electronics 41 06-19-2010 11:54 AM
Help with motor brands ernie Electronics 4 01-04-2005 10:06 AM