Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need your input on custom servo leads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Need your input on custom servo leads

I decided to start carrying good wire strippers and cutters because it makes wiring a lot easier and didn't seem like many folks had a good set. (That old trusty pair of dikes and the automotive stripper/crimper combo is not a good set of tools for RC car wiring).

However, selling these has lead me to think about also carrying a good pair of crimpers for servo connectors...and the connectors themselves.

So, what i want to know is.
1.) Do you or would like to shorten servo leads or make new ones?
2.) Do you want to enough to buy a tool thats in the $40-50 range (This is where i think most people will change their mind)

Thanks for your input
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Need your input on custom servo leads

I bought a $21 set of crimpers a few years ago. Still use them til this day. They are now $16 a set. One of the best tools in my tool set.

Best $21 ever spent. Servo Connector Crimping Pilers

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
Got Worms?

I had a pair like that way back in the day. I may have been using them wrong, but could never get a good crimp.

The pair i've been using for awhile now (same ones I'd carry in my store), is a much better tool. Very clean, tight crimps and easy to use.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:53 AM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
So, what i want to know is.
Nope, hate it with a passion. If I need to shorten a lead significantly, I'll coil it up, stick some shrink tube around the coil, and shrink it down. If it's a longer run, and I just need a little shortening, I'll coil the lead around a pen, little heat from the gun, and hope it stays that way when it cools.

But there's no way around making receiver bypass adapters. Them things you just gotta put yer head down and get 'em done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid
2.) Do you want to enough to buy a tool thats in the $40-50 range (This is where i think most people will change their mind)
I've got the same cripmer that Szczerba mentioned, makes the job as easy as I think it can be, I guess. I wasn't real impressed with it being laminated, but it works. I also think it's a bit wide.

I was thinking just yesterday about what would make crimping easier. I can't remember where, but I thought I had seen a crimper with machined, replaceable jaws. I thought something like that in a miniature punch-press would free up both hands for positioning. Okay, miniature punch-press, I realize that's a little outside the box for a vast majority of us. Even modifying a powered riveter isn't something most of us can pull off. Then I thought about a tree limb trimmer I have, and wondered if I could hook up a pedal under the coutertops downstairs and make sort of a foot powered arbor press.
It's just more engineering than I really feel like doing.
I'd be interested in seeing what you have up your sleeve, though.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yes, I shorten the servo leads so that they are at the right length so that I don't have big bundles of servo wires all over the place.
I make new leads if I have to lengthen the leads instead of using servo extensions or if moving the servo to a new rig the leads are too short.

Quote:
I would rather buy one expensive crimper that lasts than buy several cheap ones because they because the break or wear out after a little bit of use.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote

Need your input on custom servo leads - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rear steer servo input needed Goebs Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 02-13-2010 03:08 PM
DNA Dig Custom Servo Mounts, Full Size or Micro Servo Kraqa Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 09-11-2009 10:17 AM
Roller Leads? metomwhou General Scale Talk 12 02-09-2008 03:53 PM
Steering Servo Idea........Need Input RCALLOYS Electronics 8 11-01-2004 06:38 PM