RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   picking the right radio (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/485046-picking-right-radio.html)

Rockwolf58 02-26-2014 03:05 PM

picking the right radio

looking to upgrade my radio. Want to add four wheel steering. I want to be able to steer rear separate from front. I will at a later date also add a dig system maybe double digs. Might add a winch . my ride is a gmade r1 rock buggy. looking for a radio that will grow with me so I don't have to buy another in the future. Would a stick radio be better. I would prefer to stay with a pistol grip. Any suggestion's would help.

k7zpj 02-26-2014 03:31 PM

Re: picking the right radio

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf58 (Post 4688043)
looking to upgrade my radio. Want to add four wheel steering. I want to be able to steer rear separate from front. I will at a later date also add a dig system maybe double digs. Might add a winch . my ride is a gmade r1 rock buggy. looking for a radio that will grow with me so I don't have to buy another in the future. Would a stick radio be better. I would prefer to stay with a pistol grip. Any suggestion's would help.

I would look at:
Futaba 4PLS -- They are really nice radios and support mixing for steering and dual esc for MOA. They pretty much do everything but it lists for around $250.

Hacked GT3B or GT3C from Overkill RC -- The radio firmware has been upgraded to support up to 8 channels and supports mixing. Depending on model/options you can get it for under $100. Flysky GT3B

I have both radios and like both of them. I would be hard pressed to pick, if I had to pick just one.

Rockwolf58 02-26-2014 03:43 PM

would the futaba 4pls also support at least one dig unit

mark32 02-26-2014 04:18 PM

spend the money on a good 4pls or 4pks. i went cheap with a rc4wd 4 channel and regret it know that i need more channels great radio just should have spent the money on the two mentioned radios. this is just my two cents.

Master Basher 02-27-2014 10:28 AM

I love my dx3r and dx4s.

Exocaged 02-27-2014 10:35 AM

GT3b or GT3c. Fully hacked from overkillrc.com. With everything you want to do I am counting 6ch needed, there is no other pistol grip radio out there that will do what you need.

I have a 4pl and it's for racing. I use my Gt3b for all my crawling stuff. 4ws/2-speed trans/dual winch/dig, the hacked flysky does it all.

dentonmac 02-27-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark32 (Post 4688115)
spend the money on a good 4pls or 4pks.

X2, you can now or you will later.

Both are great radios, I knew that I was going to be in the hobby for awhile so I bit the bullet and got the 4pk years ago. Never regretted it, has been able to do whatever I needed it to from go-fasts, to go-slows, to nitro, to whatever.

They are the standard for a reason.

k7zpj 02-27-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf58 (Post 4688043)

The GT3B or GT3C is the only radio choice that gives you enough channels to do what you want to do.