Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ESC problem Castle MMP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default ESC problem Castle MMP

I was running my wraith today, and all was just a bliss, I had reasently made a Foff out of it, and it was the most fun I ever had with a wraith. But then suddenly all lights started to blink/flash quite rapidly, the headlights, taillights, all ESC ligths, and the motor started to make a pulsating noise. I tryed to change battery and it did not help. What can the problem be?
All led on ESC indicates radio connection problem, but that is not the case here.

I also have the same problem with a Castle mamba XL2
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: ESC problem Castle MMP

Found a old thread from a diffrent forum who mentions the same problem, but there was not any fix to the problem there either.
Quote:
Turned the ESC on and all three lights are flashing and the motor has a constant beep but no power. I can move the front tires but the motor wont go into program mode. Any idea?
Seems like this is a problem with Castle ESCs. Does anyone know whats wrong? and what causes this?
Old 03-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What happens when you plug a servo into the throttle port on the receiver and cycle the throttle?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Changed the ESC and now the truck works, so the ESC was the problem. But still dont know whats wrong with ESC or what caused the problem.
Is Castle really this unreliable?
I now have both a Mamba XL2 and a Mamba Max Pro with the same issue.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #5

Seems like a faulty internal BEC on Castle's part.
Winx6T9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have had a lot of problems from the MMP. I am beginning to think they are garbage. I went through 4 MMPs in the same truck in about 2 months. same thing. The internal BECs were cooking. I dont think I am going to use them any more.

Good thing is, is that castle will warranty them though.
iluvdrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

For what it's worth fellas, I've talked to Castle in the past. When they place an order for their boards (yes they're out sourced) they get a bunch. Thousands at a time, and they are not aware of any problems until they reach the masses and start getting feedback. He told me when that happens every board in that particular order will have the same problem.

They're very legite company and that's why they warranty things without a problem. For the most part their ESC's are pretty reliable.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
For what it's worth fellas, I've talked to Castle in the past. When they place an order for their boards (yes they're out sourced) they get a bunch. Thousands at a time, and they are not aware of any problems until they reach the masses and start getting feedback. He told me when that happens every board in that particular order will have the same problem.

They're very legite company and that's why they warranty things without a problem. For the most part their ESC's are pretty reliable.
But I thought Castle had there own "pick and place"?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I'm only repeating what was conveyed to me when I inquired about a rash of problems I was having over a short period of time.

I was rather frustrated (ie: pissed) and that's how it was explained to me.

Whether that is accurate or not, I can't be 100% certain.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
I'm only repeating what was conveyed to me when I inquired about a rash of problems I was having over a short period of time.

I was rather frustrated (ie: pissed) and that's how it was explained to me.

Whether that is accurate or not, I can't be 100% certain.
I thought John Holmes said that Castle had their own US based pick and place but I may be remembering that incorrectly or it may be a dated matter. I think it was mentioned regarding his minis.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

While they are good at warranting their products, it is still frustrating to spend that kind of money on a speed control and it only lasts 1-2 packs. Then I have to de-solder it and wait 2 weeks+ before I get a new one.
iluvdrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

You guys are all running external becs right?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
You guys are all running external becs right?
My guess would be no....which from everthing I read when I got into crawling and have experienced is a big mistake when using castle esc's....they are great esc's imo, but they are known to have weak bec's and need an external one....
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Well my MMP is the 1cell version without BEC, I got it hoocked up with a external CC 10a BEC. So I dont know its a BEC problem.
I made a short video of how its acting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFFRvtaRx6E
My 5th scale has the same issue with a Mamba XL2, and that one was running great last time i used it, but after i picked it up with a month without driving if was just like the MMP is now.
The MMP got this during a bash session with my Wraith who is buildt as a Foff with 2.8 sandpaws. So it just stopped suddenly and started to flash the lights. At first i thougth it was only out of battery power, but when I got closer I saw this flashing behavior. I did not notice any heat then. But now the battery, wires and ESC get hot after just a few seconds connected, the wires is hottest.

Is not tempting to get a new MMP if its not more religable. And I guess warranty is out of the question since i have cut the sticker when I waterproofed it.
I have been in contact with Castle regarding the Mamba XL2, but did not get any answer on what could cause this. or what was wrong. They suggested to send in the ESC and they would rapair it if it was within warranty, if i had receipt and it was under 1 year old. But I bought this used with noe receipt and dont know how old it is. They told me also that if i send it in and dont have warranty, they could still send a new one for 160$. But incl shipping that will cost me 185$ and is more expensive then what I can get the ESC new from of Ebay.

Regarding the MMP I think im better off buying a good sensored Hobbywing ESC.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

It's a trip in this joint sometimes. A load of us stand by our castle products, no matter what. Or our fxr's, or brxl's, or whatever the case. I've had a slew of mmp's, on everything from 6v stix, to 4s beast pax. Never a hiccup. same with my tekin stuff. So i'm fond of that stuff. Haven't gotten my mitts on a holmes esc yet, but have an idea they'll be ok. Now i've had several goats spontaneously combust(lost part of a rig), so i'm not fond of novak. But, you could search thru here & find problem threads on any product. Point? It seems brand loyalty has alot to do with luck. Get no lemons, love the company. And vice versa. Ooops, think i just wrote an editorial.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #16
RCC Addict

i still have my MMPs in my crawlers ALL which have CC external BECs and not once have i had an issue.
ill still stick solid to castle products in the future!
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I've had sv2's , sv3's, mmp's, brxl (waterproof and non), fxr...some other cheap no name brands...only issues I've ever had with my castle esc's was from trying to waterproof them myself...when I first attempted to do that I didn't do a good enough job and they failed on me...but lately I've got my waterproofing method down and have had nothing but luck with my stuff..anything can give you problems at any time.. I do alot of reading before I buy things, and seeing issies pop up in the searches has helped me avoid the same issues...
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:32 AM   #18
RCC Addict

From the Castle FAQ:
"Flashing all colors = speed control is not receiving a valid signal from the receiver, usually indicates the receiver wire is plugged in backwards into the receiver; possible problem with controller or with throttle channel on receiver."
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I know, tryed it, no fix.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I had this problem and it was a receiver issue. I used a different one and it started working again.
Nicolasmj is offline   Reply With Quote

ESC problem Castle MMP - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I use the castle programming link for my mmp esc? axial 4x4 crawler Non Crawler RC's 5 07-11-2013 09:09 PM
Castle MMP (MOA) ESC Settings. Jcdelcarmen Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 12-08-2011 12:25 PM