Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Short Review: Novak Crusher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Short Review: Novak Crusher

So Thursday I installed a Novak Crusher 21.5 Brushless sensored system in my super Deadbolt. Initially I had a brownout problem with the internal BEC. I installed Castle BEC and the brownout situation vannished. The fact that crawler electronics manufacturers can't add an effective BEC doesn't make any sense to me....With the brownouts cured, I went on the RCRNV weekend trail event. The Novak system worked perfectly. Great low speed control, great low speed torque and no glitching or shut downs. I ran two 3S 4200 packs thru the system and covered approximately 4.5 miles stopping to climb rocks ford creeks and match tasks with twenty other trucks. I'm exceptionally happy with this set up. One downside is the one touch programming. I'd really like to be able to connect to a computer to set up the ESC.
Note, I did not submerge the motor or ESC. I have yet to decide how I want to waterproof this system.
If I have any future problems with the Novak Crusher 21.5 Brushless system, I will report it here.

fyi: Axial Deadbolt
motor: Novak Ballistic 21.5
esc: Novak Crusher 2 to 4S
axels: RC4WD Aluminum
lockers: Locked Up RC F1 lockers
tires: HB Rovers pink dot
foams: Crawler Innovations Double Duces
shocks: Axial internals in Integy aluminum tubes
radio: Futaba 3PL
driveshafts: MIP
gears: Axial HD 38/13 stock ratio front & rear
wheels: Gearhead Delrin beadlocks

CG3

CG3

Last edited by chipgibbs; 03-02-2014 at 05:09 PM.
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Short Review: Novak Crusher

Follow up...
The Novak Crusher is working flawlesly. I've had it on several trail runs now and did some rock crawling at difficult run. No issues.
I did find that the drag break needs to be set at it's highest setting to hold on a rock face.
I did go ahead and apply some clear plastidip on the esc and sensor wire / motor connections for a bit of insurance.
Still playing with the gearing. Currently running a 20 tooth pinion & 88 tooth spur.
The truck weighs in at just under 8lbs and I've yet to see temps over 95 degrees at the motor or esc.

CG3
Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

It'll work flawlessly till it bursts into flames. That's how novak rolls.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jado6006 View Post
It'll work flawlessly till it bursts into flames. That's how novak rolls.

Thats is what I was thinking.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
MODERHATER™

I have good luck with Novak products, I have one of the first Goat brushless setups that is very well used, has been in many rigs over the years. It currently resides in my Class 2 Toyota scaler, it's been dunked, snowed on, G6ed, comped, abused, overheated, ran on 3 and 4 cell, and keeps going. I'm not exactly easy on things at all.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'll let you'all know if / when it burns up. Until then, I'm just gonna enjoy how good it's working.

CG3
Old 10-15-2014, 12:19 AM   #7

Exclamation Re: Short Review: Novak Crusher

I bought a combo Novak Havoc (in fact a Kinect) with a ballistic 8.5T. It burned after less than 2 hours and 5mns in a session. It literally burst into flames but fortunately my truck didn't burn!

After more than 2 month (and a strong reminder that I was waiting...) they are sending me through RCMart a replacement which is a Crusher.

I can see in that forum that I'm not the only one having burned a Novak ESC without explanation as when it happened the motor was still cold and I could touch it without problem!

To replace temporary the Novak I bought a X-Car 120 from Hobbyking at the staggering price of 34$! This ESC was accidentally filled with mud as the casing broke but it didn't burn, not even stopped working until I switched it off and realized that the switch was jammed! I used an electronic contact cleaner (dry) and it perfectly works... 34$

Last week-end the Novak ballistic that I put on my AE B4.2 using the standard XP ESC started to make strange noise. I opened it and found out that the shaft bearing had burned (the metal is purple). This is not a heavy buggy or a 2WD short course, it's a 2WD 1/10 buggy...

I use a Trackstar 8.5T on a pro-line pro 2 buggy powered by the X-Car 120, so far the bearing hasn't burned and the motor costs 40$...

I'm not a pro, far from it, but I simply cannot make the difference between the Trackstar and the Novak, except for the burned bearing and the price!
orouit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:59 AM   #8

A new problem with the Ballistic motor! I just received the Novak Crusher to replace the burned Kinect/Havoc.

So I put it in my brand new B44.3 and connected the Ballistic motor. Then surprise it seemed to work weirdly. Sometimes the motor wouldn't want to start again. Then I noticed that turning the wheels a little bit it would start. Fortunately the Novak ESC has a test of the sensor and I discovered that one of the sensor port is not working anymore, it is always on!

So I took my 35$ Trackstar and tested it with the ESC sensor test, and well this one perfectly works!

So I'll order a sensor board for the Novak motor (19$...) and the next time it fails I'll just use it with a sensor-less ESC.

Novak may be a race brand but as many race products it is not reliable and it is better to be a factory pilot so you don't have to pay the part and there is a mechanic to change them after every race!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orouit View Post
I bought a combo Novak Havoc (in fact a Kinect) with a ballistic 8.5T. It burned after less than 2 hours and 5mns in a session. It literally burst into flames but fortunately my truck didn't burn!

After more than 2 month (and a strong reminder that I was waiting...) they are sending me through RCMart a replacement which is a Crusher.

I can see in that forum that I'm not the only one having burned a Novak ESC without explanation as when it happened the motor was still cold and I could touch it without problem!

To replace temporary the Novak I bought a X-Car 120 from Hobbyking at the staggering price of 34$! This ESC was accidentally filled with mud as the casing broke but it didn't burn, not even stopped working until I switched it off and realized that the switch was jammed! I used an electronic contact cleaner (dry) and it perfectly works... 34$

Last week-end the Novak ballistic that I put on my AE B4.2 using the standard XP ESC started to make strange noise. I opened it and found out that the shaft bearing had burned (the metal is purple). This is not a heavy buggy or a 2WD short course, it's a 2WD 1/10 buggy...

I use a Trackstar 8.5T on a pro-line pro 2 buggy powered by the X-Car 120, so far the bearing hasn't burned and the motor costs 40$...

I'm not a pro, far from it, but I simply cannot make the difference between the Trackstar and the Novak, except for the burned bearing and the price!
orouit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

The only novak esc I have is in a berg and it was in there when I got it. The M2Dig is actually a descent esc. But everything else has castle.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgibbs View Post
The fact that crawler electronics manufacturers can't add an effective BEC doesn't make any sense to me....
4.8 - 5. volts is acceptable for normal operations...
But adding a high power servo changes the game slightly.
As many RX's will not handle excessive volts run thru them.
So the ESC mfgr's prefer reliability over pushing the limits.

That said...
my Axial AR3 RX has held up to 7.4v run thru it.
Tho' I've used other RX's that failed quickly when doing that.

The smarter way is to wire the BEC
so as to supply voltage to the HO servo directly...
and use the ESC's internal BEC to power up the RX.

This way the servo receives direct battery voltage...
and the RX will not be overly stressed by the servo's
voltage demand/draw.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Short Review: Novak Crusher - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G-Made G-Transition shocks short review MadForce General Crawlers 4 01-20-2019 09:43 AM
Novak Crusher intermittant shut down chipgibbs Electronics 3 03-25-2015 06:55 PM
Short Review on lipo, and service buggynutt Electronics 9 03-14-2012 06:16 PM
RC4WD 2.2 Rock Crusher Review YoUnG_vErSiOn Tires and Wheels 22 01-15-2008 12:48 PM