Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Futuba 4pks vs 4pksr vs Airtronics mt-4s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Futuba 4pks vs 4pksr vs Airtronics mt-4s

I'm in the market for a new radio and can't decide which way to go... Budget isn't really an issue so now it's just figuring out which one to go with... I'm leaning towards the 4pksr but haven't pulled the trigger yet ... The Airtronics is in the equation because I already have a couple of their receivers ...the 4Pks is in there cause it's fairly new and is also a great radio.. Any input would be great! I would be running my 2.2 pro dual Esc comp crawler, scx10 scaler, associated tc5r , and losi 22 scte with this application...Also , I am currently running my 2.2.comp rig with my DX-7 stick radio which seems to have some advantages...would the 4pksr be on the same level with the DX-7?

Last edited by D19er; 03-03-2014 at 07:47 AM.
D19er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Futuba 4pks vs 4pksr vs Airtronics mt-4s

Anyone? None of the futuba fan boys have any input on this? I tried a search but nothing turned up for the 4Pksr ...Does anybody own one?
Old 03-04-2014, 05:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by D19er View Post
I'm in the market for a new radio and can't decide which way to go... Budget isn't really an issue so now it's just figuring out which one to go with... I'm leaning towards the 4pksr but haven't pulled the trigger yet ... The Airtronics is in the equation because I already have a couple of their receivers ...the 4Pks is in there cause it's fairly new and is also a great radio.. Any input would be great! I would be running my 2.2 pro dual Esc comp crawler, scx10 scaler, associated tc5r , and losi 22 scte with this application...Also , I am currently running my 2.2.comp rig with my DX-7 stick radio which seems to have some advantages...would the 4pksr be on the same level with the DX-7?
Also.... I use the DX-7 to its fullest capabilities with mixing the esc's on the fly and what not... So I guess am asking is would going from my stick radio to the pistol grip be a down grade as far as maximum performance and control?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have the 4PKS and I love it. I use it with my comp rig and the button setup is so easy and fluid for digging around gates and what not. I also have it set up so i can adjust my front/rear motor bias on the fly for certain situations where I may want the rear pushing the front or what not. I believe the 4PKS can do pretty much any of the mixing the DX-7 can do while offering the comfort of a pistol radio. I've used other radios and didn't like the button positioning for the dig but on the 4PKS its right below the steering wheel and I can easily and quickly push it with my left thumb. It's the best radio I've ever used.
awdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Personally I use the Futaba 4pl. For me it does everything I need and works great. Digging is very smooth, programming is child's play, and mixing is very smooth. The switches on the grip make it super easy. I have programmed moa's and two speed transmissions without any glitches. The 4pks and 4pksr are definitely great radios, but for me, I couldn't justify spending the extra money when the 4pl did everything I need it to do.

The radio is very tough as well.. I have dropped it 6-8ft off the ground, many times, and have never had a problem with it. Just last weekend we had a scale run and it was pouring rain. Radio got soaking wet and still works without any issues.

Everyone will say something different, and there will be people stuck in their ways about which brand they like. Overall it comes down to you. They are all great radios, and will do everything you need. You just need to pick the one you would be happy with
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I had to make a desicion earlier so that I could receive it by Friday( needed for shortcourse racing).... And ended up ordering the Airtronics MT-4ssR...
I already had 2 receivers that are compatible so I felt this was my best choice. Hopefully I'm not let down.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Having owed all 3 of these radios, I will say thy are all good radios. The thing I noticed was the location of the buttons.

I went with the 4pksr after feeling a friends. I like having the dig button under the wheel. I also having more buttons around the wheels So I can set the rear steer for my super a bit better.
I'm really happy with my radio.
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

4pkrs if bugdet dont matter. It has a bank vault full of features.
lostonthetrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

"Update"
I ended up getting the Airtronics MT-4 ssR "Gold Edition"... I had two compatible receivers and this radio had everything I wanted at a reasonable price...
Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #10

My 4pks-Super Has Been a Great Radio... For the Money id get a MT-4///
mrkdubaya is offline   Reply With Quote