Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hobbywing Justock fan?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #1

Default Hobbywing Justock fan?

I put a Hobbywing Justock esc and brushless motor on my scx10. It performs great so far, but the fan spins stupid fast using 3s lipo. Would it be ok to just not run the fan on this setup? Also what is a acceptable esc temp so I can keep an eye on it. Also it's a 1900kv motor with stock gearing.(87 spur, 20 pinion)
Thanks.
Fletch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Hobbywing Justock fan?

Have never used a fan on any of my rigs in 20 yrs.
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch85 View Post
I put a Hobbywing Justock esc and brushless motor on my scx10. It performs great so far, but the fan spins stupid fast using 3s lipo. Would it be ok to just not run the fan on this setup? Also what is a acceptable esc temp so I can keep an eye on it. Also it's a 1900kv motor with stock gearing.(87 spur, 20 pinion)
Thanks.
Don't know if it has changed, but in my older HW 120s you are not supposed to run the stock fan off the ESC when running 3s. If you run a fan you need to run the fan off the receiver, or get a high voltage fan (I think).

BUT I run the 120 ESCs in my go-fasts without a fan, you should be just fine. I wouldn't worry until you start getting to the 150 deg range. A good field check is if you can't hold your finger on it for about 5 seconds, then its time to cool down. But with the lack of timing adjustment and low gearing, I really don't think you will ever get close to that.

With the 17.5 on 3s, I would almost try dropping the pinion a few teeth. When I am doing crawling I run a 16t pinion, when I need a little more speed I run 18-20T pinion with an 18.5 Novak on 3 or 4s.

This was years ago, but I never could get the 120s to run in my crawler. I never get it to not have a delay going to reverse, and the low end was a little squirrely. I bet they have updated their programming since then. I love these ESCs in my 1/10 go fasts.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmac View Post
Don't know if it has changed, but in my older HW 120s you are not supposed to run the stock fan off the ESC when running 3s. If you run a fan you need to run the fan off the receiver, or get a high voltage fan (I think).

BUT I run the 120 ESCs in my go-fasts without a fan, you should be just fine. I wouldn't worry until you start getting to the 150 deg range. A good field check is if you can't hold your finger on it for about 5 seconds, then its time to cool down. But with the lack of timing adjustment and low gearing, I really don't think you will ever get close to that.

With the 17.5 on 3s, I would almost try dropping the pinion a few teeth. When I am doing crawling I run a 16t pinion, when I need a little more speed I run 18-20T pinion with an 18.5 Novak on 3 or 4s.

This was years ago, but I never could get the 120s to run in my crawler. I never get it to not have a delay going to reverse, and the low end was a little squirrely. I bet they have updated their programming since then. I love these ESCs in my 1/10 go fasts.
That depends on the model. Some HW esc drive the fan on battery power and some run the fan from the bec. I don't use the fan on my HW 120 sct-pro and it never even gets warm.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I've ran it a few times now with no fan and it's fine. Doesn't really get hot at all. So far it's been a good esc/ motor combo for me. Enough speed and still crawls great. Thanks again!
Fletch85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hobbywing Justock fan? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbywing/junfac sixhundred71 Newbie General 5 03-12-2012 08:54 AM
Hobbywing Justock drag brakes poor? Aramis76 Electronics 14 12-08-2011 06:39 PM
Hobbywing JUSTOCK COMBO-JS6 BL System rpm1300 Electronics 3 03-09-2011 08:32 AM
ESC fan & heatsink fan wiring question slashbasher Electronics 2 03-25-2010 10:59 PM