Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Turnigy Trackstar opinions???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Turnigy Trackstar opinions???

I ordered a turnigy sensored esc and 17.5t motor.
has anyone used this. Im considering this for my scx10. maybe a wraith down the road.
I have a tekin fxr pro and 35t double speed gems 2 as well.

Im wondering who had one? If it held up? How was low end cogging/takeoff? Things like that. Im trying to determine if I wanna save up for a better one down the road or if its good get a couple more.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=41184
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28138

Last edited by jh1985; 03-09-2014 at 11:48 AM.
jh1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Turnigy Trackstar opinions???

Well, I had a trackstar esc in my slash, just a regular one, and it went up and stopped working after one run. So I can't vouch for the quality of those, exactly. I never returned it since it was 30 bucks and probably would have cost that in shipping to send it back to china anyway. I hope maybe I just got a bad one or something.

However, I do have a Turnigy Trackstar 13.5t sensored motor in my vaterra, or at least I did before I sold it, and it was definitely a solid motor. I liquid taped the sensor ring on the inside so it was pretty water resistant if not waterproof, at least I never had any issues with it after that. It almost never got more than luke warm running on 3s at speed on our track. I also have a Turnigy 5200Kv I use in a jato e-conversion that has performed pretty well also. It seemed a little finicky depending on what esc I was using, but that was probably more of a timing thing than anything.
Hatersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have one of the regular brushless trackstar escs and I can say, there is no revere circuit protection. I accidentally soldered my deans on crossed and let out some magic smoke. Totally my fault but the esc never seemed right after that. Reverse is always stronger/faster than fwd even if you reverse that channel so I assume I fried part of fwd. It still does work though. I run it in an old tamiya M chassis. It's still plenty fast enough for it.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have the same esc and it works well. The reverse sucks because when you use the brake the reverse seemed to lock out. I do not use it in my scx10 anymore. I was running a trackstar 9.5 motor in it too. MAKE SURE Your motor stays dry. Mine literally went up in smoke during some slow crawling. Some mud splashed on it and I believe it got on the sensor board. Making a set if wheel wells for your truck will help it from getting wet.
tstmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have 3 of them now, 1 in an SCX, 1 in a CR01 and 1 about to go in my Twin hammers. Different ESC's, but the same motor. Great systems for the price, Very smooth, great power and all day runtime. I'm totally spoiled now, I don't even want to go back to brushed.

I do NOT do water, so cannot comment on that but you'd for sure have to do some standard waterpoofing tricks.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Hi,
I am running the 13.5t in my TwinHammer with a turbo esc, too. The turbo esc has very little drag brake (max 30%). Crawling was a mess. I switched to the Trackstar 100A ESC. Enough power on 2S and very good low speed driveability now. I don`t run my TH in water and mud, just rocks and dirt, so I am happy with it.

Greetz,
Stollenritter
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:11 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I run this version and I'm not that happy with the characteristics at very low speed.
I had to go down in gearing well below what's required by the load in order to make the truck less jumpy at crawl speed.

Not being able to set the mechanical timing at less than 15 degrees doesn't help either, but your motor version doesn't obviously have that problem...
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:14 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks everybody. Just got it today. Gotta say 3 days from hobbyking I almost fell over. I knew it was in usa but i still expected a week. So I threw it in my redcat sandstorm baja for a test. I was just burning up the tires so i threw some 1.9 maxxis treps on it. makes the buggy look sweet. Runs great. Got 3 packs threw it. no problems. went threw water and pushed it as hard as it can till I snapped my controll arm mounts. Was a bit slow for that car but I think it will be great in my scx10 project.

I did have issues with reverse lockout but my buddy had a program card and it shut it off. Well Ill give an update after its in my scx10.
Oh i did seal the sensor board.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Put in your truck yet?
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
Put in your truck yet?
put it in my scx10 monday. so far im happy. Its smooth slow crawling, no cogging at at and has enough power to pull the left front off the ground when i hit it hard. I dissasembled the esc and liquid electrical taped the circuit board then put the case on. So it looks good and i dunked it in water and ran it for 5 minutes under water held up motor too. i did the same on the sensor board
Old 03-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, keep us updated.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #12

Never run a trackstar in my crawler but I have run many turnigy trackstar esc's and motors in onroad cars and in my short course trucks

Love them. Never had any problems and they are cheaper than a mofo
WarWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

So 17.5 is about the sweet spot for a SCX10? I'm just wondering because I'm clueless when it comes to brushless! What gearing are you running? What battery are you using?

Thanks

Last edited by TrailAddict; 03-29-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Tapatalk is acting up xD
TrailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stollenritter View Post
Hi,
I am running the 13.5t in my TwinHammer with a turbo esc, too. The turbo esc has very little drag brake (max 30%). Crawling was a mess. I switched to the Trackstar 100A ESC. Enough power on 2S and very good low speed driveability now. I don`t run my TH in water and mud, just rocks and dirt, so I am happy with it.

Greetz,
Stollenritter
Doh, wish i would have seen this post before i bought mine. Ordered the 120a turbo as well for my 2.2 tuber.

Might have to get a 100a now. . . i gotta test it first though as this is an ultra4 style rig not a dedicated crawler

I've got a Pro4 motor but this esc is too little for that motor so i'm considering a trackstar sensored brushless.
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richterat83 View Post
Doh, wish i would have seen this post before i bought mine. Ordered the 120a turbo as well for my 2.2 tuber.

Might have to get a 100a now. . . i gotta test it first though as this is an ultra4 style rig not a dedicated crawler

I've got a Pro4 motor but this esc is too little for that motor so i'm considering a trackstar sensored brushless.
mine caught on fire almost fried my truck. it was great till then. hooked up a 2s and started driving about 1 min in poof white smoke and flames now hobbyking wont warranty it till i send it to them even tho they saw the pics kinda pisses me off.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Doh that sucks

Got mine installed and running on 2s with the pro4

As you said, the drag brake is useless. But truck runs good
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Turnigy Trackstar opinions??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
turnigy 1259 tg servo opinions please biggamehunter Electronics 5 02-14-2014 09:22 AM
Turnigy TrackStar 13.5T Sensored Brushless Motor 3040KV sidehiller Electronics 1 10-23-2012 10:36 AM
turnigy trackstar motor 701 Technique Newbie General 5 08-26-2012 04:10 PM
turnigy trackstar esc elsewhere Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 11-12-2011 09:12 PM