Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Battery help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Battery help please

I have a couple of 2s that were run below the stock lvc settings on a Novak rooster system. Now when I go to charge them the charger (thunder ac6) tells me the voltage is to low for it to charge them. Is there something I can do to get enough juice into the batteries to take a charge again?

Thank for any help
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2014, 06:59 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Battery help please

Set the charger to nimh at the lowest charge rate to slowly bring the cells up to 3v/cell. Then switch back over to lipo charge and you should be good to go.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Got it set to a 1amp charge rate and going now
Old 03-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #4

You only need to charge the lipo for a couple minutes to bring it back to the proper voltage for your lipo charger to recognise it, and charge it again. It is important that you keep a constant watch on the lipo while charging it with an NiMH charger!

If your lipo is still not recognised by your charger, then charge it a bit more on the NiMH charger.

Note: Some lipos may last for numerous more cycles, whereas others might only last a couple more cycles before they die completely. Your results may vary

Battery experts: Do feel free to chime in and correct any information on here that may be wrong.
Edgarfierros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgarfierros View Post
You only need to charge the lipo for a couple minutes to bring it back to the proper voltage for your lipo charger to recognise it, and charge it again. It is important that you keep a constant watch on the lipo while charging it with an NiMH charger! If your lipo is still not recognised by your charger, then charge it a bit more on the NiMH charger. Note: Some lipos may last for numerous more cycles, whereas others might only last a couple more cycles before they die completely. Your results may vary Battery experts: Do feel free to chime in and correct any information on here that may be wrong.
I personally would replace the batteries instead because I have firsthand seen a Lipo fire start from someone trying to charge using a NiMH charger. That being said, if you do try I would suggest that you charge somewhere outside of your home with your charger plugged into an extension cord and not near anything flammable. Also if you have access to a metal bucket to put the charging battery in just in case things go awry. Good luck!!
rkerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I wouldn't make a habit of this but I allowed my wife and kids to bash a couple of rigs when I was at work and didn't explain about the signs of what to look for when they hit the LVC. Now that they know what to look for I don't anticipate this happening again.

I was able to save both batteries by utilizing a NIMH charge at 1 amp for roughly an hour each pack. I was a bit skeptical about it and charged them on the driveway, in a lipo bag, with a fire extinguisher close by. Probably a bit over the top but after watching some crazy lipo fires I wasn't about to take any chances!!

Thanx for the help and info guys!!!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I too just had this happen. My granddaughter didn't shut the power switch off my rig, sat for a couple days. I went to charge it and my charger said voltage too low. My charger isn't too adjustable on nimh settings so I went to nicad and charged at .1 amps until the voltage reading on the batt went over 6 volts. I then switched to my lipo settings and charged the batt. However, I hovered over that setup like a hummingbird until it fully charged!!! It took quite a while to fully charge but seems o-k. Time will tell. Hank
hank the crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

i used a car charger on mine like a defibrillator
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phins Fan View Post
I wouldn't make a habit of this but I allowed my wife and kids to bash a couple of rigs when I was at work and didn't explain about the signs of what to look for when they hit the LVC. Now that they know what to look for I don't anticipate this happening again.

I was able to save both batteries by utilizing a NIMH charge at 1 amp for roughly an hour each pack. I was a bit skeptical about it and charged them on the driveway, in a lipo bag, with a fire extinguisher close by. Probably a bit over the top but after watching some crazy lipo fires I wasn't about to take any chances!!

Thanx for the help and info guys!!!
That's great that they came back. Keep an eye on them, sometimes packs are not the same after you do that. Also did you fully charge them on the NiMH setting? You should only leave it on NiMH until each cell is above 3v then move it to LiPo mode with Balancing if possible.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I did this once on a 2s when I first got into RCs a few years ago. Did it on the first charge because I didn't know what the lipo cutoff would do. Anyways, shop guy just plugged it into charger and started charging without balance plug for like 30sec, then plugged balance plug in and it was all good for regular charging. I'm guessing this would be similar to using niCd settings for a short while until charger recognizes lipo voltage?
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

I am watching it because I wondered if it might have some long term ill affects. I did only charge for a few minutes on the nicad setting. As soon as the voltage on the charger showed above 6v I stopped and went to the lipo settings. I did not use the balance plug on the nicad settings however I always balance charge my lipo's. Hank
hank the crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

i should have mentioned, that fix for my battery was over 2yrs ago and it's been fine with plenty of charges since. Battery is a Dynamite Speedpack 2s, 20c, 5000mAh.
I think it really depends on how low you actually ran the battery voltage.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote

Battery help please - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK Version please - LOSB0862 Battery Charger & Battery. newth Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 05-26-2010 01:38 AM
Finding bad battery cells in a battery pack. ToTheMAXXcrawler Electronics 9 02-04-2010 10:14 AM
*No Battery* message w/battery connected to charger? pantablo Electronics 5 03-19-2008 11:06 AM