Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: How to have a switch for waterproof SCX10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

Default How to have a switch for waterproof SCX10?

I am in the process of waterproofing my SCX10, but my son will be driving it mostly. Every waterproof tutorial says to get rid of the switch and just have the car turn on when you connect the battery. But that is too involved for my son.

Any suggestions on how to keep a switch on a waterproof SCX10? Should I buy a special waterproof switch or somehow seal the factory switch that comes with the car? Thanks.
RCTelluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: How to have a switch for waterproof SCX10?

The battery should be disconnected when you store it anyway.
Are you concerned about removing the switch?
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #3

My son will drive the car for short periods of time and turn it on and off multiple times during the day. After the day is over, I will recharge the battery. I want a switch for him to use, but don't know how to waterproof it
Old 03-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I guess you could open the switch and fill it full of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTelluride View Post
I am in the process of waterproofing my SCX10, but my son will be driving it mostly. Every waterproof tutorial says to get rid of the switch and just have the car turn on when you connect the battery. But that is too involved for my son.

Any suggestions on how to keep a switch on a waterproof SCX10? Should I buy a special waterproof switch or somehow seal the factory switch that comes with the car? Thanks.
How is it too involved to have one less step in a process? Anytime that any rc is not being used, the battery should be disconnected anyway.

All a switch does on any esc is turn off the internal bec, the power is still being sent through the esc to the motor but the signal portion is not responding to anything. There still is parasitic drain. Kinda like a phone charger, even when a phone is not connected its still drawing a small amount of current.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #6

Good point - It is more involved because it means my son has to take the body off and unplug the battery connector each time he is done. I know it seems silly, but it increases the chance the body gets broken. Perhaps there is a way I could put a switch on the battery lead itself to shut off the parasitic drain? If I did that, what kind of switch would I need? I am using 2C Lipo batteries.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #7

I basically don't want my son handling LiPo batteries and getting into the "guts" of the car. I want to handle disconnecting and recharging the battery, but need a way to have it connected with a switch he can turn on when he wants to drive it.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTelluride View Post
Good point - It is more involved because it means my son has to take the body off and unplug the battery connector each time he is done. I know it seems silly, but it increases the chance the body gets broken. Perhaps there is a way I could put a switch on the battery lead itself to shut off the parasitic drain? If I did that, what kind of switch would I need? I am using 2C Lipo batteries.
That can be a viable option for your situation. A simple 12v switch between the esc & battery should work. However as another possible failure point, be aware of it if something power related happens. Had too many switches fail in the past.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #9

Anyone done something like a 12V switch between battery and ESC before? Any advice on a waterproof 12V switch or how to make one waterproof?
Old 03-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Just use some dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. You don't have to waterproof power switches just like you don't need to waterproof battery plugs.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I can add in that even turning off the esc, but keeping the battery plugged in is an accident waiting to happen with a lipo.

Highly suggest you get a couple of stick packs to use instead of LIPO for your little one.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #12
In the band for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
I can add in that even turning off the esc, but keeping the battery plugged in is an accident waiting to happen with a lipo.

Highly suggest you get a couple of stick packs to use instead of LIPO for your little one.
agreed, if you leave the lipo plugged in it still draws a little juice even with the switch off. ALWAYS UNPLUG THE LIPO
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #13

I love taking my ax10 scorpion through mud and water.
All my electric components are in a small waterproof box that I have cut a hole for cords and then glued it up.
I also have led lights on my car. I just leave the switch alone and its fine in water.
I also run 3s lipo but I always unplug it.
brado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Simply put the switch in a balloon with a ziptie on the end.

HOWEVER, I would agree with all others that have posted here in that you MUST disconnect your batteries, especially LiPo when not in use.

Just this past weekend I set my deadbolt in front of my house after a run and went to fire up the grill without disconnecting the battery. Looked outside my window and there was a plume of smoke rising from the AX10. This was likely caused by a short due to heavy water running and the AE-2 ground had melted off completely.

My point is, your sons safety should be the utmost concern here and the best way to ensure that is to disconnect batteries when not in use. This could literally burn your house down. Also agree that you should stick with NiMH for the little fella.

I do commend you for getting your family in to the hobby as that is what our channel is all about so kudos on that.

Keep on truckin! (but do it safely)

RCTogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #15

could always use the deans plug method as a switch coming off the esc power wire. just put a deans plug on the +side of the power wire going to the esc and wire it so when you uplug the deans it effectively cuts the power.

im not explaining that as clear as i know i should, but ive seen it done before and it works.

only problem would be your kid potentially losing the deans plug.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Some one started making magnetic switches that look like scale accesories that would probably work for you deadman switch i cant remeber the name of the company buy they are on this site and they advertise on this site so they shouldent be to hard to find
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
Some one started making magnetic switches that look like scale accesories that would probably work for you deadman switch i cant remeber the name of the company buy they are on this site and they advertise on this site so they shouldent be to hard to find
PowerShift RC, I think.
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

The Deadman switch would probably be the most slick way to completely disconnect a lipo, but why not just run the leads and connection somewhere he can get to outside of the body? In a bed, cabin, or scale bed toolbox. If he can work a switch he should be able to plug in a deans or similar connection. Would also potentially be free

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, waterproof

How to have a switch for waterproof SCX10? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Waterproof SCX10 RUBICON! skyline2019 Electronics 2 12-18-2013 06:34 PM
How to Waterproof your SCX10 BENDER Axial SCX-10 50 05-08-2013 11:14 AM
switch waterproof? unchained Electronics 3 02-15-2012 10:20 AM
Best waterproof method? SCX10 traxfan32 Newbie General 9 03-05-2011 02:55 AM