Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin FX-R BEC Capacitor question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tekin FX-R BEC Capacitor question

Ok, I found 1 thread that hinted on this in another forum. An it was an old thread. After much searching on this forum, I got tired of reading an figured I would just ask the question.

Due to a ID-10T move when soldering the capacitor an power wires to my ESC, I cut the neg leg on the capacitor all the way to the can. Not repairable.

I know the instructions clearly say I need the capacitor on the ESC. Is that for the ESC protection, or the electronics which the esc is powering?

What I had found was if using a BEC, I do not need the capacitor. Any thoughts on this?

John
johnfm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tekin FX-R BEC Capacitor question

its to help keep the power from the battery spiking and damaging the esc. Im sure someone can explain better than me.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Nailed it ^^^^^ tekin sell new caps and I believe crawler inovations also sells a 4 cell cap. Holmes hobbies also.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The cap has nothing to do with the BEC, it does as said above, absorb voltage spikes between the ESC and battery. Always need to have one on there or you risk damaging the ESC.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thank you everyone for helping me clear this up. So I found the hobby store which told me over the phone did not have the Capacitors, did sell the 2 pack. Grr... So I blindly bought a package happily, got them home, an soldered up my second ESC only to find that the ones I bought were 180uf vs the 330 which came with the FXR 35T crawler kit. I wouldnt be so worried except I may install both ESC's in my Dual motor SCX-10. Originally, I had dual Axial 27T motors, dual AE-2's, running with dual 3000mah Nicad's.

Now the SCX is going to be running Dual Tekin 35T motors driven by dual batteries. But unsure if I am going to run Dual AE-2's again, or install the FXR's in as well.

Thoughts on the mixed matched capacitors?

My original thought was to just run 1 ESC (with the 180uf cap) in my wraith an purchase a third ESC for the dual setup in my SCX so they can run matched 330uf capacitors. Going this route would just mean the SCX would be down for another month. (I guess I could move the wraith AE-2 over to the SCX as well)

John
Old 03-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

You can put the two 180uf caps in parallel. Equal to 360uf cap.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I see that its OK to goto a 1000uf capacitor. Is there any problem with a rig running a single 180uf? In this case a Wraith with 5000 mah 2S lipo. Would that change if I planned to move to 3S? Why would I NEED a larger capacitor? Why would a smaller capacitor be ok to use?

John
Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Ok, So after some conversations with some people over this whole topic. Its been concluded that the 180uf would be OK running the stock single motor setup with the ESC running a little warmer an maybe some smoothness issues. This being said, I wont be installing this in my Wraith. But as part of my dual setup in my SCX running just the second motor, this should be fine. The load of the electronics an servo's will be on the primary ESC/Motor setup which will have the correct 330uf capacitor.

I will post as to how it initially works out hopefully next weekend.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

So I ran my SCX with my dual Tekin FX-R esc's an 35T motors this weekend. It was impressive. I definitely have some calibration work to do.

What I am thinking about now is how I want my drag brake setup. I am considering only setting up the drag brake on the primary ESC (which has the 330uf cap an is driving the electronics). My other option is to set the drag brake on both ESC's.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
John

Tekin FX-R BEC Capacitor question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CC BEC capacitor removal RcBro Electronics 3 07-01-2013 01:15 PM
Tekin Fx-r capacitor? jdacus Electronics 2 03-11-2012 07:52 PM
Tekin FXR and CC BEC voltage question. skkeeter Electronics 10 07-15-2010 11:57 AM