Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: H2o proofing thought.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default H2o proofing thought.

I'v been researching waterproofing our electronics for several weeks and then I noticed that I have a can of Permatex SA-9. It's a battery protector and sealer.
Now I'm curious, can this protect our electrical conections? What about coating the circuit boards in esc's, servo's and receivers?????

Has anyone thought, used, tested this product to waterproof????????. Thank you.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: H2o proofing thought.

I have no experience with that product.

But why not use something made for waterproofing circuit boards? Conformal coating

Tape off connectors, Brush on 2 or 3 coats of CC to the boards, let it dry per inst, top that with black rtv silicon. Done.
WAFFLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

As the title states, a thought. I just asking a question for info. and it's something i have on hand already.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I don't know if it would stick well enough for me to trust it.
Grimreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

When I was using phase change to super cool my CPU for overclocking I'd pack the socket with dielectric grease to protect from condensation and slather the surrounding area with vaseline. WHAT A MESS. But it worked. Other guys would use grease in the socket and put kneadable eraser around it like a water dam. But you can't argue with conformable coating...it's the most professional approach and won't get runny when the circuitry heats up...and you know it's going to heat up.

I used epoxy on a couple of servos and got away with it then screwed up one (got in the pot). I guess it depends on how expensive the part is and how much of a risk you are willing to take. I don't think I'd want to screw up a high dollar part. Better to purchase some CC and sleep well.

I used Plastidip on my Lipo. I have a cheap receiver that is sealed in a box so I flooded it with super glue...so far so good. My ESC is also partially sealed so I coated the solder points I could get at with super glue. So far so good. If you have the room a water tight plastic box seems to be a well tested method. Takes some prep work. Individual holes for each wire, blobs of silicon on each hole. I don't have room for that on my rig.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
As the title states, a thought. I just asking a question for info. and it's something i have on hand already.

Its a good question!

I think my answer is the best advice. Its the professional approach like Mountain storm suggests. Its inexpensive, removable(if you don't RTV), can solder though it and recoat.

Ive sent in at least 4 servos to hitec with conformal coating on the boards and never had it void my warranty. Tekin also got a bad FXR that was conformal coated and didn't void warranty. as I mentioned before its easy to remove to if your worried about voiding warrantys.

I RTV just for second measures on some stuff. sensor boards on motors I just CC and use RTV to seal cracks/holes in the motor can. Servos CC only to the board, I don't mess with the POT. Receivers I've done both ways CC only and CC topped with RTV. My MMP I CC the board and then stuff the board into the bottom case only and RTV seal the case around it and seal up to the heatsink. axial light controller CC only. BEC Pro was done the same as the MMP. regular BEC I just seal the ends of the shrink wrap with RTV. I'm pretty sure all castle products come with a light coating of CC. I've never done anything to my lipos, never had an issue. All connectors stay bare on everything.

That's how I roll my rigs.

Take a look at my TTC rig, page 1 shows the process, page 2 show it working: Jeep JK TTC

Last edited by WAFFLE; 03-27-2014 at 11:31 AM.
WAFFLE is offline   Reply With Quote

H2o proofing thought. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
H2o Hydro-Tank Chit Chat 6 06-09-2012 01:22 AM
water proofing dezl_dub Newbie General 10 07-28-2009 10:48 PM
Water Proofing.. Borkenhagen Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 07-21-2009 03:05 AM
H2O proofing: on/off switch? solomon7 Electronics 13 01-08-2008 11:26 PM