Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Esc handle my lipo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 03:47 AM   #1

Default Esc handle my lipo?

I recently started this crawler madness and it's fun as hell !
But my nimh batteries are in bad condition and instead of buying new nimh i want to switch to lipo, but does my esc takes it?
I have an HBX rock crawler byt i cant find any numbers or anything on the esc,
Anyone know anything about them?
Se if i can link a pic soon
MarkusJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
In the band for now.

Default Re: Esc handle my lipo?

at the very least you could run a 2s lipo to be on the safe side. the 2s and the NIMH are about the same voltage.
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

google search the name
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusJH View Post
but does my esc takes it?
A six cell fresh off the charger starts off around 9 volts, and can usually be discharged down to 6 volts. (I don't like to run mine that low, but it's not the end of the world.)

A 2S Lipo fresh off the charger will start at 8.40 volts, and I like to stop mine once they get down to 7 volts.

So as mentioned, the voltage of a 2S LiPo is well within what your truck should be able to run.

Typically, the difference between a 'LiPo Safe' ESC and a 'non-LiPo' ESC, is that the LiPo-safe models will have a Low Voltage Cutoff that you can set to shut off your truck, so your LiPos don't get completely drained.
On a non-LiPo ESC, there's no cutoff, you can just run, and run, and run, 'til you ruin your LiPo. There are Low Voltage Alarms you can plug into your balance tap, and those will beep/flash at you when it's time to stop.

Now, as far as running 3S LiPo...........

When I was starting off in comps, I ran the stock AE-1 ESC. I had (still have) an external BEC to handle the servo, and I had an alarm on the LiPo, and it ran fine. Granted it was the stock 55 turn motor and stock Scorpion gearing (14/87), but I never had a problem even with all that extra voltage.
I can't say your truck will handle 3S, 'cause it likely may not in stock form. I was willing to take the gamble with mine simply because I knew I was getting a different ESC, so what did I care if mine blew?
If you decide to try 3S, just know it may not work out for you, and there may be some costly consequences. Or, with a BEC, it may work out fine. Don't know, can't say.
2S with an alarm, and you should be fine like it is, though.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote

Esc handle my lipo? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can the XL-2.5 esc in a 1/16th summit handle a LiPo? BadRockNoCookie Traxxas Crawlers 3 09-24-2012 01:50 AM
I got a 3S 11v lipo. Will my ESC motors handle it? knuckleslammer Electronics 13 04-17-2009 04:24 PM
Will a sidewinder handle 4S lipo? NickRummy Electronics 4 10-14-2008 04:59 PM
ESC handle Lipo Pack? jeepster73 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 09-07-2008 05:03 AM
Novak Crawler esc handle 3cell lipo? bubbaracing Electronics 3 08-07-2008 07:42 AM