Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Can't change the BEC voltage, new servo..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Can't change the BEC voltage, new servo..

Hey guys, I messed up and ordered a Savox 1256TG servo, my BEC is set to 7.4V so the servo won't work. I tried changing the setting on the BEC but due to the way I have it wired only two of the wires go back to the BEC and my castlelink will not recognize it. I'm sure the answer is no but is there an easy fix for this aside from sending the servo back or wiring it all over again?
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Can't change the BEC voltage, new servo..

Do you still have the signal wire (white) coming out of the BEC or did you just de-solder it completely? If so, you can just get a JR connector with pins from places like Pololu and re-install the plug and your Castle Link should be able to recognize it. Worst case scenario is a new BEC and re-program it to 6.0 volts.

I don't get why you would need to send your servo back unless you fried it already.

My setup is the same in that the BEC powers the servo directly, but the way I did it is just pulled the black and red wires from the connector and I added a male JR connector to directly connect to my BEC while the remaining white signal wire still had the femail JR connector that plugs into my receiver. The BEC then retains all three wires and can be reprogrammed.

The only reason I would think you are worried about sending anything back is that you directly spliced the power wires between the BEC and servo together and/or completely pulled the signal wire from the BEC. A picture would help.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'll have to check when I get home to see how I have the wires ran. Do I need all 3 wires to change the setting on the BEC, or will it work with just the signal wire? I think I cut the BEC's signal wire and siliconed it closed, I still have about 5" of wire though so I could alter it if needed.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Just use a jumper for programming, keep in mind also that when the bec is soldered to the power connection that you may need to connect a battery for it to work. The extra connections are sometimes too much for the standard USB voltage to power the bec for programming. Either way it's much easier than sending a servo back.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Just use a jumper for programming, keep in mind also that when the bec is soldered to the power connection that you may need to connect a battery for it to work. The extra connections are sometimes too much for the standard USB voltage to power the bec for programming. Either way it's much easier than sending a servo back.
What kind of jumper do I use?
Old 04-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I rewired the setup so I could update the BEC. Now I can't' get castle link to recognize it. The link keeps flashing, per the castle link FAQ I need to reinstall the driver. I tried this but Windows claims the best driver is already installed. This is pretty frustrating...
Old 04-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I rewired the setup so I could update the BEC. Now I can't' get castle link to recognize it. The link keeps flashing, per the castle link FAQ I need to reinstall the driver. I tried this but Windows claims the best driver is already installed. This is pretty frustrating...
1) Uninstall the Castle Link software via Control Panel>Programs/Features
2) Reboot the computer.
3) Reinstall the Castle Link software package.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
1) Uninstall the Castle Link software via Control Panel>Programs/Features
2) Reboot the computer.
3) Reinstall the Castle Link software package.
Did that 5 times but still a no go. Gonna try again tomorrow.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Is the castle link USB stick flashing red or green? It may flash multi colors but green is there. If just red, you have to isolate the castle link from other voltage besides the computer USB.
If green but still not recognizing than there is another issue.
Also make sure of the stupid things, such as the wires are hooked up right. Orange to the U symbol, red to + ... Yada yada.
I'm in computer repair and it is the stupidly simple things that get you sometimes. Hope this helps not hinders.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I run my 1256 on 7.4 volts so I fail to see the issue.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjpjr View Post
Is the castle link USB stick flashing red or green? It may flash multi colors but green is there. If just red, you have to isolate the castle link from other voltage besides the computer USB.
If green but still not recognizing than there is another issue.
Also make sure of the stupid things, such as the wires are hooked up right. Orange to the U symbol, red to + ... Yada yada.
I'm in computer repair and it is the stupidly simple things that get you sometimes. Hope this helps not hinders.
It flashes red. Typically in between flashes the software will flash green, but the link itself always flashes red. U is going to orange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I run my 1256 on 7.4 volts so I fail to see the issue.
It shows it's only rated to 6.0v and I read in multiple places that running it at 7.4v will kill it. How long have you been running it like that and can anyone confirm that it's ok long term?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I run all of my servos overdriven. Minimum voltage to any of them is 7.4 volts from my CC bec. Been running that servo for about a year and a half.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

The only things that should be plugged in, is the USB cord from computer to link adaptor. Then link to bec. Only bec. No batts.
Does castle link software recognize the USB?
The software says in the lower left that its found the USB.
It has a second box that let's you know its found the ESC.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjpjr View Post
The only things that should be plugged in, is the USB cord from computer to link adaptor. Then link to bec. Only bec. No batts.
Does castle link software recognize the USB?
The software says in the lower left that its found the USB.
It has a second box that let's you know its found the ESC.
From castle's faq:
" 3. I am plugging into my Castle Link to change the output voltage to my servos, but the CC BEC will not connect. What is wrong?

First, verify that you have a green USB connection status in the lower left hand corner of the Castle Link screen. If not, go to the Castle Link FAQ section regarding loading the driver. If it is green but the ‘Device Connection Status’ light stays red, the USB port may not be able to provide enough current to power the CC BEC. Try plugging a battery pack into the CC BEC. This may also be necessary if you’ve already soldered the ESC to the CC BEC. If the problem persists contact Castle Creations Technical Support at support@castlecreations.com or give us a call at (913) 390-6939."

A battery is sometimes needed when the bec is already soldered to the power connector along with the esc.

For the op: I'd simplify the whole thing. Verify the drivers and that castle link is recognizing the bec and go from there
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote

Can't change the BEC voltage, new servo.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What exact thing do I need to change the voltage of my CC BEC? e32lover Electronics 4 02-12-2013 10:31 PM
BEC Voltage Orph3o Electronics 3 10-25-2012 10:53 PM
CC BEC software to change voltage bullet1231 Electronics 7 12-20-2008 05:22 AM
change output voltage? Georgerm Electronics 2 07-13-2008 05:49 PM
How to change output voltage of Castle BEC??? RedBetta Electronics 6 12-03-2007 11:10 AM