Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Beating the dead BEC horse. Please help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Beating the dead BEC horse. Please help.

I bought a CC MMP with the 10a BEC already wired to the battery wires of the ESC. I've never had an external BEC before, do I just remove the red power wire from the ESC to the receiver and plug the BEC to the bind plug, then servo to the receiver as normal? I guess I just don't see how that would change anything over using the internal BEC. I always thought it was the receiver browning out not the ESC's internal BEC.

Also, the guy I bought it from said that the servo would have power when the battery was connected. I noticed he had cut the power switch off and connected the wires. I planned on rewiring the switch. Is there a way to have it only get power when I switch the ESC on?

Or do I have it wrong all together
jrowles91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Beating the dead BEC horse. Please help.

Yes pull the red wire from the plug coming off of the esc and wire as you described. Leave the switch off. There is no point in having one since leaving any battery plugged into the system is a terrible idea under any circumstances.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:57 PM   #3

You have it right. Just remove the red wire from ESC and plug in everything in to your rx. The bec goes to the bind port on a spectrum rx. Even if you rewire the switch on the esc you will still have power to the servo. The switch is only for the esc power. You could probably run an on/off switch for your bec. I'm sure someone else has done it, I never have.
ROCKCRAWLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Yup. The idea is you can either run it this way or wire the BEC directly to the servo power wires and plug the servo signal wire into the receiver servo signal port. Then you keep the ESC hooked up as normal to the receiver.

So what's the big deal? Well, the ESC typically provides power to the receiver for all the items powered into the receiver as well as the receiver itself. The BEC has battery voltage(depending on how you power it) and a much higher power capability (10amp). So if you plug the ESC power and BEC power into the receiver....brown out!

By removing one if the power inputs from the receiver, you eliminate that possibility.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Alright guys. Thank you so much for the help and sorry again for beating a dead horse here. I just couldn't figure out what I was doing with reading the other posts because it didn't seem to make any sense to me. Anyway, I guess I'll just run without a switch anyway and remove the power wire from the esc. Seems to be the easiest way. Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Ok, so I started routing my wires and everything and noticed in my Wraith, that currently all of the slots on the ESC are spoken for. I have the factory lights that connect to the Bind, servo for steering, esc for throttle and servo winch in AUX.

Which one can I run the splitter to connect the BEC too?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowles91 View Post
Ok, so I started routing my wires and everything and noticed in my Wraith, that currently all of the slots on the ESC are spoken for. I have the factory lights that connect to the Bind, servo for steering, esc for throttle and servo winch in AUX.

Which one can I run the splitter to connect the BEC too?
The BEC can go in "Any" slot. Personally in your situation I would put the BEC into the BATT slot or whatever its called on your RX. I would use a Y splitter for the lights and the winch or whatever you choose. It really doesn't matter. But I like to have my BEC in a dedicated slot. Since it powers everything.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjpjr View Post
The BEC can go in "Any" slot. Personally in your situation I would put the BEC into the BATT slot or whatever its called on your RX. I would use a Y splitter for the lights and the winch or whatever you choose. It really doesn't matter. But I like to have my BEC in a dedicated slot. Since it powers everything.
This is actually what I was thinking. Do you think though that if I'm using the winch the lights would flicker or would the BEC provide enough amperage to power both ok?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #9
RCC Addict

If you're simply needing battery voltage, get some JST plugs or Futaba connectors and wire the lights or winch controller or BEC....whatever, off the battery terminals. Works great when you're in a pickle.

Another option is this....

Get a female to female pigtail for your BEC, plug the servo directly into the BEC and pull the signal wire out and plug it in the signal port on the receiver like this....

Last edited by redsawacs; 04-07-2014 at 02:21 PM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I think I'll go the splitter route. I'd have to imagine the CC BEC can handle a couple lights and a servo at the same time. If not I'll wire the servo to the BEC directly.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

The advantage to wiring the servo directly are for higher voltage servos where you want more then 6v.

Otherwise wiring to the receiver is just fine and the splitters will take care of you without issues. The lights are very low draw, so they don't even really count.

One thing to be sure if though, make sure your BEC is set to. 6v so you don't fry anything. Just check the output with a meter just to be safe.

Good luck
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgh117 View Post
The advantage to wiring the servo directly are for higher voltage servos where you want more then 6v.

Otherwise wiring to the receiver is just fine and the splitters will take care of you without issues. The lights are very low draw, so they don't even really count.

One thing to be sure if though, make sure your BEC is set to. 6v so you don't fry anything. Just check the output with a meter just to be safe.

Good luck
OK perfect. The servo I bought is 6v max.

If I have the lights on ch. 3, will I be turning off the lights when I toggle my 3rd channel to run the winch?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

The lights will stay on all the time without the fancy Heyok light controller regardless of what you are doing with the channel 3 switch on the radio.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The lights will stay on all the time without the fancy Heyok light controller regardless of what you are doing with the channel 3 switch on the radio.
I already have his winch controller. Not buying anything else.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowles91 View Post
I already have his winch controller. Not buying anything else.
Never?

Just kidding. Hope you like the winch controller.

Al
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Never?

Just kidding. Hope you like the winch controller.

Al
Haha, I do like it. Works well for me.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I got everything wired and it all works. Used the Castle link to program the esc and place the bec at 6v. My questiong is, sometimes and a very slow speed the throttle seems to go nuetral then kicks back on. Kind of hard to explain. Almost like it's cogging but after it's rolling already. Sensor cable is brand new.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Are you running sensored only or smart sense? Sounds to me like the esc is trying to figure out what the motor is doing. You can also try changing the neutral range or upping the start up power and see if that helps it. I also am assuming you calibrated the esc to your setup now that it's all running?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Are you running sensored only or smart sense? Sounds to me like the esc is trying to figure out what the motor is doing. You can also try changing the neutral range or upping the start up power and see if that helps it. I also am assuming you calibrated the esc to your setup now that it's all running?
It's set at sensored only right now. I set the neutral range on the ESC to as low as possible. I do like how tight it is but if you think that may be an issue I will change it. Other than the slight stutter it runs great. It doesn't always stutter either just sometimes. Could it still be glitching even though I have the bec?

Beating the dead BEC horse. Please help. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
beating a horse! Rootar Chit Chat 9 01-15-2012 06:35 AM
Project Dead Horse IceBox84 Axial SCX-10 6 12-19-2011 06:07 AM
Beating a dead horse... dAng! XJ Axial Wraith 4 11-17-2011 03:26 PM
beatin the dead horse again ( which servo) TwistedCreations Electronics 9 01-04-2005 08:44 PM