Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: How long should a 2800mah lipo last?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #1

Default How long should a 2800mah lipo last?

my buddy just got a racers edge 2800mah 7.4v 2c lipo for his stock scx10 and my racers edge 5000mah 2c lipo will last around an hour and 15 mins. he doesnt have a programmed esc so no lipo cut off and was wondering if the 2800mah will give less time or just power and what a safe running time would be. THANX
Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: How long should a 2800mah lipo last?

Not good for the lipo battery to be discharged lower than 3.2v per cell. If not using a LVC on an esc, get a cheap voltage monitor so you don't accidentally discharge too much. The 2800 will give you less run time. I would say get a Nimh battery or upgrade the esc if wanting to use lipo...
Hirschowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

why would anyone want a nimh battery these days,
MCW24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirschowl View Post
Not good for the lipo battery to be discharged lower than 3.2v per cell. If not using a LVC on an esc, get a cheap voltage monitor so you don't accidentally discharge too much. The 2800 will give you less run time. I would say get a Nimh battery or upgrade the esc if wanting to use lipo...
The AE-2 esc which is in it has a lipo cutoff but you have to program it i think. or maybe it is pre programmed. idk... and yeah i would never get a nimh battery for my self or recommend it to my buddy.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I would also never, ever buy a nimh for myself. Only recommend a nimh or new esc because he said there is no lvc, OP didn't say it was an AE-2 esc. I wouldn't run a lipo with out a lvc. Only a suggestion...., rather than ruining a lipo by overdischarge.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I would also never, ever buy a nimh for myself. Only recommend a nimh or new esc because he said there is no lvc, OP didn't say it was an AE-2 esc. I wouldn't run a lipo with out a lvc. Only a suggestion...., rather than ruining a lipo by overdischarge.

buy a five dollar battery moniter and your set, again stay away from the old thoughts of nimh
Old 04-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
RCC Addict

If your friend damages his rig or his battery due to misuse and lack of knowledge, I would blame you for recommending a battery chemistry without proper knowledge.

Lipo batteries are NOT for beginners unless they are willing to put in the time to learn about the chemistry, charging, discharging, storing, handling, etc. Know your electronics and how to use them with Lipo batteries. The rig he bought has a manual, read it. Axial has a website, surf it. The battery he purchased has paperwork with it - read that too. That way when things go wrong, you don't blame the company for a defective product.

For the record....The AE-2 comes preset with LVD on and Battery "MAH" rating equals "size of the fuel tank" and the "Voltage" equals "amount of horsepower"
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
If your friend damages his rig or his battery due to misuse and lack of knowledge, I would blame you for recommending a battery chemistry without proper knowledge.

Lipo batteries are NOT for beginners unless they are willing to put in the time to learn about the chemistry, charging, discharging, storing, handling, etc. Know your electronics and how to use them with Lipo batteries. The rig he bought has a manual, read it. Axial has a website, surf it. The battery he purchased has paperwork with it - read that too. That way when things go wrong, you don't blame the company for a defective product.

For the record....The AE-2 comes preset with LVD on and Battery "MAH" rating equals "size of the fuel tank" and the "Voltage" equals "amount of horsepower"
i did not recommed any battery for him... and he wanted to run it after i told him the risk of destroying the battery. so i would not blame myself for something i didnot do. And i read that the AE-2 will limit the power once it gets to the low voltage point or cut it off to save the battery. so should i just watch closely for signs of it slowing? i guess thats all there is to do.. would the voltage monitor still be necessary with the pre programmed ESC?
Old 04-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post

Well i would have to say your wrong, Im very much a beginner. I didn't read jack about my battery or my charger for that matter. nothing has gone wrong or fried. Have a simple battery moniter and your set
Old 04-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Just so we are clear, my post was directly influenced by the original post asking amateur questions.....anyone with battery knowledge would know MAH is time and V is power. Also, the original post eluded to the fact they have not researched or learned about the setting or capabilities of the stock ESC. Both of these facts drew me to the conclusion and warning I posted.

Get defensive or take the advise - know your electronics or know where you keep your cash. I'm just trying to help people enjoy the RC experience instead of becoming discouraged from incidents that can easily be avoided.

Last thing, I'm not bashing you, but there is something to be said for learning from others experiences.....

Last edited by redsawacs; 04-25-2014 at 01:54 PM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I'm sticking to nimh becuse I can put it away for months 5-6 months and not have a paper weight after I try to use it again... and yes I've read lots of info on them but I'm sticking with nimh for now.

and to the OP I say get nimh or get voltage monitor of sometype.
dannan_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCW24 View Post
buy a five dollar battery moniter and your set, again stay away from the old thoughts of nimh
re-read post #2......
Old 04-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

If he has the AE-2 which I believed you have confirmed, just be sure the low voltage cutoff is turned on. As long as that is on it will stop the truck when it reaches the safe low level ( typically 3.2-3.4v / cell)

You will also see the truck starting to slow down like you said.
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
re-read post #2......

Yup re-read it. Great advice to buy a nimh ugh
Old 04-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

i have the ae2 and it will just completly shut the rig down at 3.2 at 3.4 it will make u keep hitting the trigger to try and keep going i thought my rig was bugging out on me untell i realized what it was doing
ben h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
get a cheap voltage monitor so you don't accidentally discharge too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCW24 View Post
Yup re-read it. Great advice to buy a nimh ugh
I will quote it out for you so you don't miss what I wrote in post 2. Your eyes are only reading what you want them too. You missed my point from the beginning...ugh...
Old 04-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #17

i tried getting it to lvc and it took about an hour and 45 mins with 5000mah.
i guess i just never got it that low. its suprising how long a lipo can last. it got all jittery once it hit the lvc it would stop and i would pull the throttle and a few seconds later it would shoot forward then stop. Thanks for all the help.

Tags
lipo, scx10

How long should a 2800mah lipo last? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long will a lipo retain its charge 12stepRC Electronics 43 12-16-2013 03:49 PM
how long will the stock Axial 20T motor last, running on 3S LiPo? ussprinceton2004 Axial Wraith 6 02-13-2012 03:16 PM
How long to charge lipo WestTxRc Electronics 8 11-02-2011 04:42 PM
long lost newbie lipo questions andrewhendler Electronics 65 02-07-2008 12:05 PM