Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: sporty motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default sporty motor?

Ok so I know I'm going to open a can of worms with this but I need suggestions and adevice.on a sporty motor as the sporty on its way to me is my first comp rig. I was thinking a team brood apocalypse with a 35t hhk-t arm and abec7 bearings, but I'm not sure if I should go higher turn.
idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: sporty motor?

This is what it's going in, any advice on gearing also? I will be running 3s
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho View Post
I was thinking a team brood apocalypse with a 35t hhk-t arm and abec7 bearings, but I'm not sure if I should go higher turn.
Your call, but I wouldn't.

I'm running this.....

at 35 turns,
in this..........

Pretty sure I'm still running the Scorpion's stock 14/87 (48 pitch) gearing, stock gears in the rear axle, overdriven front axle, and 2.2 Rovers.
And this ride's currently laid up with a broken output.

Gearing's going to depend on the courses you're going to run and your driving style. I don't know you, or how much you like wheel speed, nor do I know if you're running on a large enough of a course where your crawler can 'stretch out it's legs', so to speak. I ran on a reeaallllyy tight course, so the only time i ever needed wheel speed was if I flipped over. And then, I only needed enough to get the thing rockin'.
You're going HHK, isn't that the large-wire option? I personally don't think you're wanting any more that 35 turns. As it sits I'd recommend going easy on the trigger finger. My opinion is that with as strong as I think that motor's going to be, I think you could step up to 16/87 and scrub off some 'mechanical advantage'. I'd be real leery of you going any steeper than 18/87, but you know where and how you'll be running it. I say start at 16 and see where that gets ya.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
RCC Addict

My votes for a brood 30t onslaught type gt

Crawls and pretty stupid wheel speed........ All Robinson gears in that trans too!
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I run a 35t handwound Brood. No complaints.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

If you want a Brood motor and you're unsure, message "EddieO". He'll set you straight.

I run the "intensity" machine wound in my shafty and it worked great. The hand wound equivalent is the "chaos".

Make sure you tell him ESC, battery voltage rig weight and he can help you with gearing as well
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
Your call, but I wouldn't.

I'm running this.....

at 35 turns,
in this..........

Pretty sure I'm still running the Scorpion's stock 14/87 (48 pitch) gearing, stock gears in the rear axle, overdriven front axle, and 2.2 Rovers.
And this ride's currently laid up with a broken output.

Gearing's going to depend on the courses you're going to run and your driving style. I don't know you, or how much you like wheel speed, nor do I know if you're running on a large enough of a course where your crawler can 'stretch out it's legs', so to speak. I ran on a reeaallllyy tight course, so the only time i ever needed wheel speed was if I flipped over. And then, I only needed enough to get the thing rockin'.
You're going HHK, isn't that the large-wire option? I personally don't think you're wanting any more that 35 turns. As it sits I'd recommend going easy on the trigger finger. My opinion is that with as strong as I think that motor's going to be, I think you could step up to 16/87 and scrub off some 'mechanical advantage'. I'd be real leery of you going any steeper than 18/87, but you know where and how you'll be running it. I say start at 16 and see where that gets ya.
Well my terrain is actually all over the place, we have some big open courses and super tight and technical and everything from nice rough granite to smooth river rock that was kind of my reasoning behind the hhk arm to have wheelspeed on demand(my driving style with my scalers uses lots of wheelspeed) but still be able to go slow in the technical spots but being new to comp rigs I've been reading up and see a lot of guys using 55t motors and I was wondering if I was missing something lol, thanks for the advice.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
If you want a Brood motor and you're unsure, message "EddieO". He'll set you straight.

I run the "intensity" machine wound in my shafty and it worked great. The hand wound equivalent is the "chaos".

Make sure you tell him ESC, battery voltage rig weight and he can help you with gearing as well
Didn't even think about doing that, duh! Lol
Old 04-25-2014, 02:43 AM   #9
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
Might be kinda tough to see, but I run an Intensity in JUNKFOOT.

Since that runs 1.9s, I figured I could bump up to 16/87 gears, and since I wanted something with more speed for trail running, I went with the 30 turn.
Unfortunately, I haven't had enough stick time with that truck to really fall for it's charms, but it's got an entirely different feel to it, that's for sure.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
RCC Addict

In my sporty I run a conflux with .020 can, 30t HHk-T epoxy balance 7.5mm comm....standups again with Dual FB12 magnets. This motor absolutely rocks!!! Tons of wheel speed and super smooth low end. If I had to do over again I would buy this exact motor again! It's in a Sudu Pro Fl with Tomi's transmission running 16 tooth pinion. Which I have been told is equivalent to a 14/87.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote

sporty motor? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sporty? BudLight Newbie General 9 12-10-2012 09:44 PM