Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Yeah Racing Hacktronic XTA 120A Brushless Sensored ESC and Hackmoto XTA 21.5T Motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #1

Default Yeah Racing Hacktronic XTA 120A Brushless Sensored ESC and Hackmoto XTA 21.5T Motor

I was lucky enough to have the chance to try the new Yeah Racing Hacktronic XTA Crawler Sensored Brushless ESC and 21.5T XTA Hackmoto Motor Combo and the Hacktronic ESC Programming Card.

The first thing you will notice is that the motor and ESC come in a very nice box with cool graphics. Yeah Racing did a nice job on the packaging. The ESC, motor, and programming card all look and feel very sturdy. These are high quality items.

I highly suggest purchasing the ESC programming card because it allows you to change a multitude of settings in the ESC and you can fine tune it to your liking. It also allows you to switch to and from crawling mode should you ever have the desire to use this ESC in other applications such drifting, touring or other on-road and off-road vehicles.

I installed the Yeah Racing combo into my Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon kit. I like that the ESC comes pre-soldered to the motor. It also has a Deans-style T-connector already installed so most people will not have to do any soldering. The ESC is also fairly compact and it fits nicely in the stock location. I did not install the fan nor did I reach high temperatures at any point.

The first thing I noticed during my initial drive is that the ESC and motor are incredibly smooth. The initial startup of the motor is very fluid. There is absolutely no cogging whatsoever even when under load. This is a definite plus for crawling because you don’t want the vehicle to surge forward on the rocks.

The drag brake, which Yeah Racing calls "Crawler Holding", is adjustable from 0% to 100%. There are plenty of increments in between to suit anybody's preference. At 100% it is incredibly strong! It will stop your crawler on the steepest of inclines.

The motor is very torquey. I was never able to stall the motor, but it did spin the slipper clutch on more than one occasion. The motor is so strong that it pulled one of my tires out of the bead. I think the 21.5T motor is a perfect compromise between speed and torque. I am running a 14T pinion gear.

I have put this ESC and motor to the test on more than one occasion and I have been extremely happy with it. It performs exactly as you expect. It is also highly adjustable so you can tune it to your liking. Neither the ESC nor the motor ever gave me a problem. The system has been extremely reliable. I would definitely recommend this combination to anybody!

More photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/101888...7642929558753/

The manual can be found here: http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/im...ard-manual.pdf

Highlights
1. Very nice looking ESC and motor.
2. Motor is pre-soldered to the ESC.
3. Deans-style connector pre-installed.
4. Compact ESC.
5. Includes cooling fan (not pre-installed).
6. Adjustable timing motor.
7. Loads of torque. The motor never stalled. Even pulled tire out of bead.
8. Super smooth. Absolutely no cogging.
9. Very efficient system. Battery lasts a long time.

Drawbacks
1. On the expensive side.
2. Not waterproof.

ESC
Feature:
• For: 1/10
• Support Brushless Sensored Motor
• Multi Protection System (Motor Lock, Overheat, Signal Fail)
• Comes With 25mm Cooling Fan
• User Friendly Setting Interface
• Can Swap Around to Touring and Drift Program with Firmware Update USB Cable #HTN-303
• Specially for Crawlers with 6 Crawler Settings (Turbo Timing, Punch, RPM Lock, Brake LV, Crawler Holding, and Crawler Reverse)

Specification:
• Length: 39mm
• Width: 31mm
• Height: 22.5mm
• Forward/Brake/Reverse:Yes
• Weight: 45g
• Voltage Input: 4.8 ¡V 9.9V DC, 3 ¡V 6 Cells NiCD/NiMH 1~2-Cell LiPO / 1-3 cell LiFe
• Peak Current: 540A
• Motor Limit: Over 5.5 Turns
• B.E.C: 6V / 3.0A

Motor
Feature:
• Size:540
• For: 1/10 RC Car
• Material: Aluminum
• Color: Gunmetal
• XTA™ Timing (-3 to +3 Step-less adjustment)
• Premium Quality Ball Bearing Minimum Friction
• High Purity Copper Winding
• Removable/Replaceable Rotor
• High Power Neodymium Magnet
• Premium Quality Material for Minimum Heat and Energy Loss
• Sensor-based for Excellent Torque and Low-Speed Smoothness
• Sensor-based for Precise Timing and Turbo Timing function for exceptional Acceleration and Top Speed. (With Hacktronic ESC)
• Aluminum Endbells For Light Weight and better heat dissipation
• Venting Holes Engineered Carefully For Efficient Air Flow and Cooling

Specification:
• Turns: 21.5T
• LiPo: 1-2S Lipo
• Weight: 160g

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 05-28-2014 at 08:40 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Yeah Racing Hacktronic XTA 120A Brushless Sensored ESC and Hackmoto XTA 21.5T Mot

I love "reviews" that don't mention any negatives.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Suck it up!

Default Re: Yeah Racing Hacktronic XTA 120A Brushless Sensored ESC and Hackmoto XTA 21.5T Mot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
I love "reviews" that don't mention any negatives.
Agreed. All positives makes it sound like either A) its simply publicity, or B) the reviewer has little experience with anything else. Everything has a downside...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #4

Good points. I have added the drawbacks to the review. To be honest though, I have found very few flaws in this system.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

How long have you been running the setup?
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
How long have you been running the setup?
I've been running it since March. This includes many days of running at a crawling course at a local hobby shop as well as 2 to 4 hour trail runs with my local crawling club on the weekends! The system has never gotten hot for me so I don't foresee any issues with reliability.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:03 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

How does it compare to a simple castle Sidewinder SV3 and a mid-table brushed motor (e.g. HH TorqueMaster Expert)? This setup can be had for just over $100 brand new and ESC is water proof.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 AM   #8
RCC Addict

how much is it?
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgout View Post
How does it compare to a simple castle Sidewinder SV3 and a mid-table brushed motor (e.g. HH TorqueMaster Expert)? This setup can be had for just over $100 brand new and ESC is water proof.
This system can do pretty much anything that that system can do, but this one isn't waterproof. This system can be put in a different RC, such as a drifter without changing anything except the settings of the ESC. Brushless isn't for everybody, but I'm a big fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1009cucv View Post
how much is it?
I got it for $135.00 here: Yeah Racing Hacktronic XTA Crawler Sensored Brushless ESC 21.5T XTA Hackmoto Motor Combo #HTN-C03
Old 05-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Agreed. All positives makes it sound like either A) its simply publicity, or B) the reviewer has little experience with anything else. Everything has a downside...
I'm with ya on "b" I would like to see an actual review that includes more than " it looks cool" and "makes my rig roll back and forth"

One drawback I've seen is limited to 2s Lipo.

Last edited by JokersWild; 05-29-2014 at 08:43 AM.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
This system can do pretty much anything that that system can do, but this one isn't waterproof. This system can be put in a different RC, such as a drifter without changing anything except the settings of the ESC. Brushless isn't for everybody, but I'm a big fan.

I got it for $135.00 here: Yeah Racing Hacktronic XTA Crawler Sensored Brushless ESC 21.5T XTA Hackmoto Motor Combo #HTN-C03
So this is the first brushless system ever that can creep on down hill starts like a brushed motor?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #12
RCC Addict

for the money i would buy another HH combo. i think mine was about 150 and waterproof. not brushless but it has been great
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeah Racing Hacktronic XTA 120A Brushless Sensored ESC and Hackmoto XTA 21.5T Motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Use Brushless Hobbies 120A ESC? ik632 Electronics 397 03-19-2014 07:43 AM
Yeah racing Hackmoto Evo motors CyberFox Electronics 20 08-02-2013 05:23 PM
Mamba Max Pro Vs HobbyWing 120a sensored Esc EvanSouders Electronics 5 09-06-2012 12:56 PM