RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   3racing 1/8 winch problems, help needed! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/502855-3racing-1-8-winch-problems-help-needed.html)

axial 4x4 crawler 07-24-2014 03:27 PM

3racing 1/8 winch problems, help needed!

Hey guys,
I know I have a build thread going on in the scx10 section but I figured I'd ask about the strange problems I'm having with my winch.

Ok so first off I have a 4pls and I wired the winch to the esc BATT wires (so I didn't need a y-connector). Anyways, I set my 4pls and tried using the winch.

1. I pulled it out using the 3-pos. switch and then I reeled it back in although something happened and it only went in reverse after that..do you think the BEC shorted it out since it's wired right next to the BEC wires?

2. I then tried reversing channel 3 on the radio and still did the same thing so I check to make sure it was connected right..it was.

3. So I finally just reeled it back in and then put the body on. I then again pulled the winch line out all the way by hand ( since forward action wouldn't work) and tried lifting the truck by sliding a screwdriver in the hook to hold it and started reeling in the winch. Ahh well bad news, the winch got the 7-8lb jeep about half way and it slowed down and started to weaken out..then stopped.

4. After that the winch won't even work..I think I burned it out! Any thoughts guys? Is the winch bad now? If so then I'm going with a KMS and a 4a relay from HeyOk. But I'd like to here what's wrong with it first. Thanks in advance!

axial 4x4 crawler 07-24-2014 08:32 PM

Re: 3racing 1/8 winch problems, help needed!

Ha screw it, I'll just get a warn winch from rc4wd..but I'd still like to now what's wrong with the 3racing. We're trying to figure that out in my build thread..ahh what a nightmare. Any thoughts on the problem the 3racing winch is having?

Norton 07-24-2014 08:37 PM

You'll just end up burning the Warn up to with the weight of your rig too:roll:

axial 4x4 crawler 07-24-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norton (Post 4845016)

ahh well shoot..I'll try cutting the weight down a bit and see how much it weighs then. In fact I'll weigh it later with the battery ( I'm gonna get a smaller mah btw). Well let's just say if its under 6 pounds then I'll go with the warn and if its above that then I'll get a KMS. I read on rc4wds website that the warn can handle that much weight and a little more so yeah. Hmm, do you know if the warn has a JST plug on it? If so then I can get this:
HeyOK Winch Controller for Radio with Three Position Channel with JST Conn
I might just PM Heyok but if you know then I won't lol. Thanks for the input"thumbsup"

Speedracer19 07-24-2014 08:52 PM

Sounds if you may have burnt the controller for the winch out.
Try putting voltage (7.2 at first) on the winch leads (wire coming out of the winch) don't worry about + and - as this just controls the rotation of the winch, reversing the + and - changes the direction of the winch. If the winch works with the direct voltage then the control is bad.
If the controller is bad you can replace it with a RC4WD Warn Winch controller and it will work fine, also you can run the winch and controller on 3S ( you can only run the stk 3racing controller at about 9V before things go bad). The 3racing winch will work using 3S voltage.

axial 4x4 crawler 07-24-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedracer19 (Post 4845025)
Try putting voltage (7.2 at first) on the winch leads (wire coming out of the winch) don't worry about + and - as this just controls the rotation of the winch, reversing the + and - changes the direction of the winch. If the winch works with the direct voltage then the control is bad.
If the controller is bad you can replace it with a RC4WD Warn Winch controller and it will work fine, also you can run the winch and controller on 3S ( you can only run the stk 3racing controller at about 9V before things go bad). The 3racing winch will work using 3S voltage.

Thank you for the input"thumbsup" I can't bump the voltage up because I'm using lights on there that can take a max of 6v and if I bump it to 7.2v it will blow the lights. I'm not going to put anymore $ into the 3racing, with the weight of the rig and all of that it just be better to get a 180 oz KMS..can't go wron there. Yeah I think the controller is bad so I'm going to put it away for another rig of mine or..it can be a target for my 12 gauge..boom!..blow that sucker up lol jk anyways thanks again, now I know the issue and eventually get a HeyOk controller. After Norton posted pic of his rig in my build thread of his KMS winch that made me want one so I'm going that route lol.

allanon1965 07-25-2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norton (Post 4845016)

The warn 9.5cti winch will handle his rig fine..mine weighs a little over 8 pounds and my warn will pull it straight up off the ground on a single line pull...double line pull is rated for 12 pounds...so it is a better winch than the 3racing winch..

TacoCrawler 07-25-2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedracer19 (Post 4845025)

Quote:

Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler (Post 4845037)
Thank you for the input"thumbsup" I can't bump the voltage up because I'm using lights on there that can take a max of 6v and if I bump it to 7.2v it will blow the lights. I'm not going to put anymore $ into the 3racing, with the weight of the rig and all of that it just be better to get a 180 oz KMS..can't go wron there. Yeah I think the controller is bad so I'm going to put it away for another rig of mine or..it can be a target for my 12 gauge..boom!..blow that sucker up lol jk anyways thanks again, now I know the issue and eventually get a HeyOk controller. After Norton posted pic of his rig in my build thread of his KMS winch that made me want one so I'm going that route lol.

purdy sure he is saying you can test the winch for operation
by simply hooking it up directly to a 2s

reversing the + and - polarity will control the direction it spools.

if the winch does not spool... then the motor was probably damaged
if it does... then you know the problem lay with the controller.

* yes the RC4WD Warn 9.5 comes with the JST plug end installed.

heyok 07-25-2014 06:17 AM

Those are great trouble shooting tips for finding out if the trouble is the winch or the controller!

My suggestion for you if it turns out that the winch is broken is to keep the 3R winch in place on your rig. The 3R winch looks very scale. Now mount up a KMS or a servo winch somewhere behind the 3R winch and run the winch line out through the 3R winch. You still get the scale look, but end up with a strong winch.

axial 4x4 crawler 07-25-2014 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyok (Post 4845278)
Those are great trouble shooting tips for finding out if the trouble is the winch or the controller!

My suggestion for you if it turns out that the winch is broken is to keep the 3R winch in place on your rig. The 3R winch looks very scale. Now mount up a KMS or a servo winch somewhere behind the 3R winch and run the winch line out through the 3R winch. You still get the scale look, but end up with a strong winch.

yeah I'll either do that or just make a fairlead myself..then move the receiver and wires to the back (I'll need extension wires). I already took my 3racing winch off the bumper but I may debate about putting it back on just for the scale looks and the fairlead. I've been making up a few ideas of making a fairlead. I'm going with the K2 180oz KMS and which 4a relay do you recommend? The fused one or the normal one? Haha sorry, I can't decide which to get. I saw that I'm suppose to wire the white wires to the motor but..do I just cut the KMS connector off and solder the white wires from the relay to the winch? Or do I have this messed up...? Maybe I should just PM you to get all of these answers.

axial 4x4 crawler 07-25-2014 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacoCrawler (Post 4845170)
purdy sure he is saying you can test the winch for operation
by simply hooking it up directly to a 2s

reversing the + and - polarity will control the direction it spools.

if the winch does not spool... then the motor was probably damaged
if it does... then you know the problem lay with the controller.

* yes the RC4WD Warn 9.5 comes with the JST plug end installed.

Yeah I know:) When I get home later then I'll cut the controller off to test it with a 2s. Thank you"thumbsup"

heyok 07-25-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler (Post 4845289)
yeah I'll either do that or just make a fairlead myself..then move the receiver and wires to the back (I'll need extension wires). I already took my 3racing winch off the bumper but I may debate about putting it back on just for the scale looks and the fairlead. I've been making up a few ideas of making a fairlead. I'm going with the K2 180oz KMS and which 4a relay do you recommend? The fused one or the normal one? Haha sorry, I can't decide which to get. I saw that I'm suppose to wire the white wires to the motor but..do I just cut the KMS connector off and solder the white wires from the relay to the winch? Or do I have this messed up...? Maybe I should just PM you to get all of these answers.

See what version of controller (fused or not) that KMS recommends and get that one. You can get the controller with a JST connector on it so that it will plug directly into the KMS winch.

Send me a PM anytime if you have questions.

axial 4x4 crawler 07-25-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyok (Post 4845316)
See what version of controller (fused or not) that KMS recommends and get that one. You can get the controller with a JST connector on it so that it will plug directly into the KMS winch.

Send me a PM anytime if you have questions.

Oh okay, I saw on RPP that they have the one with or without the JST connector.
And yes, I'll probably PM you soon with a few questions, thank you"thumbsup"

DrDiff952 10-10-2014 11:44 AM

OK If I were to get a sepparate battery for this winch, then how many cells 2 or 3 and how many miliamps?

I use a 3S 2200 LiPo in my rigs, so I was thing something in the 2S 500 LiPo range?

MCW24 10-10-2014 11:50 AM

just make a servo winch and be done with all the other garbage out there