Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Receiver, ESC, or something else???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Receiver, ESC, or something else???

I'm going to do my best to describe all the weirdness going on with my SCX10, all surrounding my receiver (spektrum SR301) or ESC (Holmes BRXL, waterproofed but never really been wet) I think. I can’t try any of y’alls ideas out until after work, but I figured others might be bored today and could throw some ideas/solutions out in the meantime.

Quick backstory;

Been into scale rc for about 9 months now, got my SCX10 Jeep kit in April with my tax refund.
I was out trailriding and all of a sudden lost power to the truck, didn't think it was the battery but was pretty beat from a day of trail building so I went inside for the day. Charged the battery the next day but only put 600 mah into a 2200 3s lipo, obviously the battery wasn't dead. Fast forward to getting home and I tear the truck apart to try to figure this out. I am using a CC BEC btw too.

First thing I tried was re-binding. Put the bind plug in and got the blinking LED. I used a bind pack(?, 4 AA batteries) and could get it to bind, the receiver's light would stay lit but once I tried to turn the steering it would move the front a little then lose its bind and the LED start blinking again. I can’t try to accelerate because the bind plug replaces the BEC’s port in the receiver and the bind pack plugs into where the ESC was plugged.

Next I tried without the bind pack and using a regular battery (2000 mah 2s) but couldn’t get the blinking light to show at all and would get random jolts of power through the engine, luckily I had my truck on a stand so it stayed on my desk.

I have tried replacing the transmitter batteries with no luck and will try another receiver tonight.

I also took apart the receiver, the antennae is secure and I don’t see anything burnt or broken looking, it actually might be the cleanest thing in the truck haha
And the transmitter worked fine with my Twin Hammers using the stock SR300WP

I can get pictures later if needed, just let me know what you need to see to better understand my ramblings
Could this be user error? Or is something electronic (my least favorite parts on a rc) broken and needs replacing?

I’ll update this if anything else comes to mind during the rest of the day.

Thanks in advance guys, mechanical stuff makes perfect sense, but I don’t know squat about electronics
three2won is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Receiver, ESC, or something else???

my wiring set up

imgur: the simple image sharer
Old 08-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Sounds like a receiver issue. Try binding the truck without the bec. Use the ESC to power the truck to isolate issues. Rebind.
Do u have steering with the new rebind?
Throttle?
Try another receiver.
Seems like you've got a gremlin
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Why don't you plug the CC BEC into the AUX port? Then you can use your Bind plug and port for that purpose only! Just an idea, maybe?
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

just tried it with a different receiver (that worked yesterday in my twin hammers) with only the bind pack plugged into the throttle slot, the servo into steering, and the bind plug in the bind slot. same problem where I can connect to the receiver but it loses it once I try to steer

I'm going to figure out how to bind my old dx3e and see if that works

I'm starting to think something is wrong with the binding function on my transmitter

Last edited by three2won; 08-26-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
Why don't you plug the CC BEC into the AUX port? Then you can use your Bind plug and port for that purpose only! Just an idea, maybe?
I've put the bind plug in the bind port every time, there seemed no reason to do anything different, the BEC is plugged in there while driving to leave aux for the winch that's currently incapacitated

I tried with the regular battery tho, BEC in aux, ESC in throttle, servo in steering, and bind plug in bind port. I try to bind and it'll flash, stop flashing for a second, and then start back again, the whole time my Holmes ESC is beeping a relatively slow beep

It seems to have a better chance binding with the bind battery pack thingo than when a regular lipo is plugged in

Last edited by three2won; 08-26-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

just tried to bind the receiver with only the bind battery pack and the bind plug in. The SR301 just did the same flashing thing, but the SR300WP flashed then stayed lit. I unplugged the battery pack, then the bind plug, and plugged everything up: BEC in aux, ESC in throttle, servo in steering, and bind plug in bind port. Plugged lipo in and receiver is flashing, the transmitter was never turned off after binding so the receiver should have found it when I powered up(?)

this is really annoying, it sucks not being able to see a physical problem!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

same exact thing happened when trying to bind the dx3e with both receivers, flashing LED, solid for a second on the SR301 then goes back to flashing, on the SR301WP, it'll stay bound until I try to steer

WTF IS GOING ON
Old 08-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

AGGGHHHHH!!! IM LOSING MY MIND!!

Just successfully rebound the DX3C with both receivers when plugged into my twin hammers with the lipo powering it, what the HELLLLLLLLLLL

Could it be something with the servo in my SCX10? it's a SAVOX SC0251mg, is this even a possibility?
Old 08-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

well damn, figured out its the servo I put an old one in (stock from TH) and the everything bound perfectly with the SR301

That Savox had always buzzed but I was told all digital Savoxs do that, like it buzzed constantly, not just when at full lock, but I had recently upped the travel on the DX3C to 150%. This servo had also started to change its neutral point while driving, I'd have to adjust the trim to about 60 either left or right (can't remember which). So maybe the servo just died, but why would that mess with the receiver?

Anyone know if there's a way to fix this? I liked the Savox, even though it was a noisy little thing, had enough power and wasn't too expensive. Anyone have any suggestions on a new servo with 225ish oz torque and a decent speed?

Also, has ANYONE ever had this happen before? or is this just how a dead servo effects the receiver?

Last edited by three2won; 08-26-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:20 AM   #11

Try binding the truck without the bec. Use the ESC to power the truck to isolate issues.
mckameyzhiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:41 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by three2won View Post
... So maybe the servo just died, but why would that mess with the receiver?
It might if an electronics error either produce a voltage on the signal cable and/or cause a more generic electromagnetic interference.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics, esc, esc problems, receiver, receiver problem

Receiver, ESC, or something else??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AE2 ESC to Receiver wire/cable polarity & AE2 ESC switch position. Tread Well Newbie General 7 06-18-2013 02:14 PM
Receiver or ESC? deeve Electronics 6 06-25-2010 08:15 PM
NEED HELP esc or receiver? dexcrawler Newbie General 0 05-10-2010 12:55 AM
ESC or Receiver SeanD Electronics 12 06-27-2007 07:27 PM
Help with esc and receiver yamaharider308a Electronics 2 12-28-2006 05:31 PM