Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: I need help.2 BEC's? One for winch/stearing servo, and the other for lights/receiver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default I need help.2 BEC's? One for winch/stearing servo, and the other for lights/receiver?

Ok folks, I'm a bit confused. I understand what a BEC is, how it works, and why we need them. What I'm trying to figure out is how many I need, and at what voltage they need to be tuned to.

My plan is to (for now) run 3S 11.1v 2200 Lipo packs in my SCX10, with the AE2 ESC on a 21T 550 Titan motor. I have the Warn winch installed, and a Hitec metal gear high torque servo. I have ordered a few light bars, and crawling lights that I am going to attach to a couple of different channels on my receiver. (I run a DX6i) The larger bars are rated at 12V, and the smaller ones are rated at 6V.

Can I put 2-4 small LED's on the same BEC for the winch and steering servo? Do I need a BEC for the Winch, then another for the servo? Where does the receiver get power from? Should the Receiver be on the same line as the winch / steering servo / small LED's?

Sorry for the noob questions.
4x4Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I need help.2 BEC's? One for winch/stearing servo, and the other for lights/recei

There are several different ways to do it. The simplest way is to plug in the BEC directly into the Rx to power it full time. Pull the red wire from the ESC rx plug and heat shrink it. You will just be limited to the max voltage the Rx can recieve. If you want to run the lights off the 3s directly, solder two wires right at the deans plug for an extra 12v lead to power the light bars.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: I need help.2 BEC's? One for winch/stearing servo, and the other for lights/recei

the 12v lights directly to the batt, I get. Should I be running multiple BEC's for the steering servo, and winch/LED's? Or would one BEC for the small LED's and the winch, and the servo be just fine?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

If I only need 1, would the "10 AMP CC BEC" and the "Castle Link" be what I need?

Links to what I think I need. Yes?
CC BEC
Castle Link
Old 09-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Jay View Post
If I only need 1, would the "10 AMP CC BEC" and the "Castle Link" be what I need?

Links to what I think I need. Yes?
CC BEC
Castle Link
i think you will be fine with the 10amp CC BEC (feeding the rx) powering your steering servo+winch+plus 6V leds. (assuming you only want to run 6v to your steering servo....) i wanted to say i ran this setup for most of a year but i actually did not. my winch controllers ( Heyok 4a relay, and later a 1/18 brushed motor esc) were powered directly from battery, so they didnt pull from the BEC

if you need more than 6v on the steering servo or winch (or both) then you would want the BEC to power these directly, and leave the ESC red lead in place to power the rx and 6v leds. i tried running this way, but had issues with my servo not responding to input

and like szczerba said, the 12v leds only need to be tapped off the battery leads. a BEC for these would only prevent a fully charged 3s lipo from blowing the lights if they cant handle the extra little bit of voltage

Last edited by nharkey85; 09-12-2014 at 07:07 PM.
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote

I need help.2 BEC's? One for winch/stearing servo, and the other for lights/receiver? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Savox 1256tg servo issues. Winch in/out, lights flicker ?? Hoosierdady Electronics 3 04-26-2014 04:13 PM
traxxas stampede stearing servo losiminicrawler Newbie General 0 10-06-2009 08:59 PM
powering a 3 racing winch , servo & receiver Badd Electronics 1 07-28-2009 05:31 AM
Stearing servo going CRAZY ! Flashing red light !!! Please help 86 Iroc Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 04-05-2009 10:10 AM
Wiring 2 bec's, one for each servo rockmike Electronics 19 04-03-2008 10:57 AM