Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holmes Crawlmaster expert timing ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Holmes Crawlmaster expert timing ?

Probably a dumb question but searching turned up nothing. What effect does timing have on the motor ? Looking into a 13T Crawlmaster expert for my Wraith cause I'm tired of the 55T. Holmes site has a timing option but I have no idea what the different degrees of timing do. Thanks .
tjcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Holmes Crawlmaster expert timing ?

Advancing the timing 6 degrees will make the motor go faster forward than reverse. You can get more information on time on the HH Website in the timing section. 540 Brushed Motor Care, Installation, and Troubleshoot | The Search for Power

With the Wraith you have to deal with reverse rotation.
reverse rotation motor?

This means you need to specify the type of rig and the amount of advance or keep it at zero degrees timing.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Ok so think im getting this figured out. 0* timing equals longer brush life (right)? The more timing the faster the motor(right)? As for the reverse rotation My ESC is green on forward and the Tx is set to N for the throttle so its set up right (right)?. Also according the above link the 13T torquemaster brushes and commutator may need maintainance every 20 minutes??? What exactally does that mean you have to rebuild the motor? Is the same true with the crawlmasters?
Old 09-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj View Post
Ok so think im getting this figured out. 0* timing equals longer brush life (right)? The more timing the faster the motor(right)? As for the reverse rotation My ESC is green on forward and the Tx is set to N for the throttle so its set up right (right)?. Also according the above link the 13T torquemaster brushes and commutator may need maintainance every 20 minutes??? What exactally does that mean you have to rebuild the motor? Is the same true with the crawlmasters?
Did I get any of this right ? I tried to get ahold of HH to answer questions but no luck. How are you all setting up your crawlmasters for Wraiths ? Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
0 Degree timing will make the forward and reverse speeds the same.

Some advance timing (6 degrees) will improve brush life.

There are a lot of factors that effect brush life including how you drive. Motors with lower number of turns; running higher voltages; switching quickly between forward and reverse; and having a heavy trigger finger can shorten brush life.

I have been getting around 6 hours of brush life with my Wraith with a CrawlMaster Pro 13T on 3S. My first Wraith has a Torque Master Expert 35T. It is still on its first set of brushes (8mm now) and it has run countless hours and is on its third season.

The motor normally runs counter clockwise for forward movement (normal rotation). Some rigs require the motor to turn clockwise for forward movement(reverse rotation)
If you use a normal rotation motor with advanced timing in a reverse rotation rig and just reverse the wires or TX switch, you end up with retarded timing with reverse being faster than forward and multiple motor issues from it.

Hope that helps.

If anyone notices if I have made any mistakes please correct and flame away.

Last edited by k7zpj; 09-10-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

So I should expect to be putting new brushes in it "about" every 6-10 hours? Right now in using a 5000 mah NiMH battery but am going to a 2s lipo. Would going to say a 21T crawlmaster ( or even 35T) set at 6° drastically increase brush /comm life? I just crawl around the house with it so don't want to be tearing it apart every couple of days to rebuild a motor. I'm just wanting more wheel speed than the 55T I have now

Last edited by tjcj; 09-12-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
So I should expect to be putting new brushes in it "about" every 6-10 hours? Right now in using a 5000 mah NiMH battery but am going to a 2s lipo. Would going to say a 21T crawlmaster ( or even 35T) set at 6° drastically increase brush /comm life? I just crawl around the house with it so don't want to be tearing it apart every couple of days to rebuild a motor. I'm just wanting more wheel speed than the 55T I have now
If you are just using for backyard bashing, I would go with a HH Torque Master Expert or Pro 35T on 3s lipo. You would definitely want to go with 3s.
That would get up to the speed of a really fast walk. You could specify 6degrees timing for the Wraith and you would be all set to go.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
If you are just using for backyard bashing, I would go with a HH Torque Master Expert or Pro 35T on 3s lipo. You would definitely want to go with 3s.
That would get up to the speed of a really fast walk. You could specify 6degrees timing for the Wraith and you would be all set to go.
Hmmm now ive got some more research to do. Does the 35 torquemasters crawl decent ?

Last edited by tjcj; 09-12-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Hmmm now ive got some more research to do. Does the torquemaster still crawl decent ?
Yes, the Torque Master is very good for crawling. Unless you are doing comps, you probably won't really notice the difference in crawling between the two motors.

I have a Torque Master Expert 35T in one of my Wraiths. It crawls really well and has decent wheel speed but doesn't break parts. Even with 3s I have been getting a lot of hours on the brushes.

My other Wraith has the CrawlMaster 13T in it and soon to be Tekin Roc412 3300kv. I decided to upgrade the Wraith motor and move the CrawlMaster into a rig that is easier to access the motor.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Yes, the Torque Master is very good for crawling. Unless you are doing comps, you probably won't really notice the difference in crawling between the two motors.

I have a Torque Master Expert 35T in one of my Wraiths. It crawls really well and has decent wheel speed but doesn't break parts. Even with 3s I have been getting a lot of hours on the brushes.

My other Wraith has the CrawlMaster 13T in it and soon to be Tekin Roc412 3300kv. I decided to upgrade the Wraith motor and move the CrawlMaster into a rig that is easier to access the motor.
No comps. My perfect setup would be crawls like my 55T and has the wheel speed of a stock SCX10 20T
Old 09-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If you want all that wheelspeed and low end control, a 13t Crawlmaster would be the best all around choice. It will have lower torque than a 27t TorqueMaster that is similar in speed, but smoother low and and longer brush life.

But if brush life is a concern, then 35t TorqueMaster or 16t Crawlmaster is the next choice. They both run very long without much attention on 3s and proper gearing.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #12

I stumbled into the same question regarding timing while looking for 2 motors for my XR10 based crawler.
I was thinking to get 2 CrawlMaster 16t but I am not sure about timing. From what I managed to understand 6 degrees of timing is the general choice but I would like to make sure that this doesn't compromise the brush life.

thanks
M
macor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by macor View Post
I stumbled into the same question regarding timing while looking for 2 motors for my XR10 based crawler.
I was thinking to get 2 CrawlMaster 16t but I am not sure about timing. From what I managed to understand 6 degrees of timing is the general choice but I would like to make sure that this doesn't compromise the brush life.

thanks
M
6° timing won't compromise the brush life in a crawler. There is lower amp draw in a crawler over a wraith and less brush wear over time.

I run all 13t's in my crawler's, I love there performance!

With either the 13t or 16t, you can't go wrong. You will get long life out of either.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #14

Great to know,
I suppose it is time to spend some money
macor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Ok I finally got my HH Torquemaster expert 35T installed and took it for a drive. When I ordered it I had HH time it 6° and HH connectors installed. The motor is faster in reverse than forward. Still running the stock Axial AE-2 esc hooked up black to black and red to white. Also using the stock Axial Ax-3 remote, with the throttle toggle set on N ( where I use to run it) pulling back is now reverse. I know I can flip it to R but I don't want to run it that way. I can also hear the spur and opinion alot more now than I used to running the 20t and 60t motors that I used to run it . What did I screw up and how can I fix it. Thanks Allen
Old 02-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #16

what rig is it installed into, and looking at the motor pinion when you go forwards does it spin counterclockwise or clockwise?
Old 02-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
what rig is it installed into, and looking at the motor pinion when you go forwards does it spin counterclockwise or clockwise?
Its in a wraith and looking at the pinion the motor spins clockwise with the throttle toggle set on N which moves the rig backwards.

Last edited by tjcj; 02-01-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #18

Most wraiths have reverse rotation, but not all. You will need to at least retime the motor if so. If you can get a small screwdriver on the motor endbell and loosen the timing screws a turn, you won't have to take anything apart to retime it. Then just swap the motor wires for proper rotation.

A pic of your skidplate that shows the motor a bit is enough to know rotation direction.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Most wraiths have reverse rotation, but not all. You will need to at least retime the motor if so. If you can get a small screwdriver on the motor endbell and loosen the timing screws a turn, you won't have to take anything apart to retime it. Then just swap the motor wires for proper rotation.

A pic of your skidplate that shows the motor a bit is enough to know rotation direction.
Do you just need a picture showing the motor from above or the timing marks or what. When you say swap wires are you talking where the hook to the ESC or re-soldering

Last edited by tjcj; 02-01-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #20

We just need to know which way your transmission is mounted and built. Motor on the left or right, spur on the front or back of the skid.

Holmes Crawlmaster expert timing ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on Brush selection on CrawlMaster Expert 13t merin_83 Electronics 19 07-31-2014 05:36 PM
Brand New Budget Motor Option - Holmes CrawlMaster Sport and Expert Harley Axial Wraith 1 07-25-2013 11:27 AM
Good crawling and OK speed: Holmes Crawlmaster 13t and Holmes BRXL chefclancy Axial Wraith 7 07-23-2013 10:48 AM