RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Calling all evx-2 & summit experts!!! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/526915-calling-all-evx-2-summit-experts.html)

Dtomblin 02-20-2015 10:40 PM

Calling all evx-2 & summit experts!!!

Ok guys, I got me a new summit. I have a hobbywing 150a sensored brushless esc on it's way and a 1950kv leopard motor. Initially I wanted to stay brushed but feared I wouldn't get acceptable speeds. I read of many people using Dewalt motors on 5s with the 3s on the non bec side. I thought to myself what if put a cc bec on and put 3s on each input. So I tried it. I've ran it twice today and it's perfect! Tons of torque and fast enough for my liking. The warmest temp I've ran in is 22' F but results have been good motor and esc are both still cool at the end of my runs. I'm really liking the setup and figure the stock motors brushes will go fairly quick but I have an 18v dewalt on standby and a few spare evx 2s.

So here's my questions:
1: has anyone else tried this?
2: how does the lvc work on the evx-2 I haven't fully drained my packs to see if it would recognize 3s. In order to arm the esc you kinda have to trick it and power it up with one pack on the internal bec side then plug the second in. Does the lvc monitor total voltage or the voltage of the bec battery which would obviously drain fastest?

meatmonkey 02-21-2015 07:35 AM

Re: Calling all evx-2 & summit experts!!!

I believe the lvc on the EVX-2 only reads off of the battery powering the BEC, since theoretically it's voltage drops a little quicker.

I do not believe that the LVC will properly protect a 3s battery, as it is only designed for running two (2) 2s packs. While I don't think that your setup will let the smoke out, you will have to pay particular attention to avoid overdischarging your packs. An external voltage moniter or "beeper" might be a good idea.

I've run the Dewalt 12V version in an E-maxx, and it is certainly a beast of a motor. Geared 20/68 on 4s had plenty of wheelie popping, axle snapping torque, and top speed was still similar to the stock dual brushed motor setup.

Crawlibility was limited by the EVX-2. The downsides for my application was that I was literally bending motor plates and pulling the crimpings of the motor housing apart within a few packs. Something about big air and poor landings. I ended up tack-welding the motor housing together and doubling up the motor plates. This lead to cracked transmission housings. Eventually had the brushes crumble into peices and destroy the commutator. Everyone else claims that the Dewalts are super durably and long lasting, so maybe I'm just hard on equipment.

The Dewalt is so heavy that IMO it really needs a secondary mounting ring off of the can of the motor to prevent damage to the can/motor plate/trans case.