Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Thinking about a new radio..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015, 07:00 AM   #1

Default Thinking about a new radio..

Since i bought my first revo 3.3 who knows how many years ago, i've been using traxxas radios. Never had any issues with them. Raced carpet, then clay, bashed, crawled, used them in my boats, they've always been reliable for me. But i think it's time to step it up to a big boy radio.

I plan on using the new radio mainly for the yeti xl kit i have coming, but also for my xr10 thats going to be running dual ESCs. Also plan on doing some racing with it too. The AVC seems pretty cool, but i'll probably be racing on carpet again, so it's not really an issue.

I'm having trouble deciding between the dx4s, and the 4pls. I do have a dx2l that came with my kemora, and have 1 extra receiver which would be a plus for the dx4s, but i didn't really like the way it fit in my hand. felt small. My LHS wouldn't let me put the larger grip on so i have no idea how it would feel with it. Also, the dx4s just felt and looked cheap, IMO. On the same hand, I've never held a a 4pls, so ii have no idea how they feel.

Now, i've had a hard time finding info on how well the MOA works with the dx4s. I know it can do it, but it doesn't seem like anyone is using it, where the futaba is proven. plus all the spectrum receivers are waterproof, but that's nothing a nice silicon conformal coating couldn't fix on the futaba.

Cost... i can get the dx4s today for 250 at my LHS with the 2 receivers. The 4pls, i can order through tower for roughly 250ish, with a second 4ch receiver.

I'm stuck on which one to buy. Any input here?
JBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Thinking about a new radio..

Since you plan on racing indoors with your radio too, I would suggest the Futaba over the Spektrum. Spektrum radios have been known for some weird glitching issues when running indoors.

I would also recommend checking out the Airtronics MT-4 which can be had for under $200. I have an Airtronics radio that I use for all my fast stuff but I used it for my SCX10 for a while and had no problems setting up all 4 channels for various uses. I know it has some elaborate mixing functions for dual ESC trucks that I kinda skipped over in the manual. It also has no external antenna so you don't have to worry about it getting broken off. Just holding the radio makes your realize it is a whole other level of quality compared to holding a Spektrum.

When I was shopping for a radio, I ultimately decided that Airtronics was my top choice, followed by the Futaba, then the Spektrum.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Futaba....I owned a Spektrum first, had nothing but problems with it in a go fast environment....as soon as I switched, I had no problems ever again.
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:07 AM   #4

I love my Spektrum. I have never had issues with it in any environment. When I was racing last year, most of my competitors had Spektrum. Nobody lost control. No babies died.

Whatever you get, make sure you can get cheap receivers. I have a Futaba 3PM-X and the receivers are so expensive that I only use it in my HPI Baja. For everything else I used Spektrum.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

How about running MOA and 4ws on one rig with these remotes? Are they capable of running them at the same time?
Old 02-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I know the Airtronics can do independent control of 2 ESCs on a MOA rig and it can mix 2 servos for 4 wheel steering but I have never tried using either function, much less both at the same time. The radio also has a variable lever that can be used to control independent rear steering instead of having it mixed into the front steering.

I'm sure someone else can tell you about the Futaba and Spektrum radios.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The 4pl is a good radio, I have one. With help sites out there it is simple to set up. Having said that have you considered a FlySky hacked GT3C? I also have one of these and are also great radios. TX and RX alot cheaper than futaba but a little more intimidating to setup, but hack, has way more options!
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Another option is the hacked GT3C. You can get up to 8 channels depending on which receiver you use and has the advanced features including steering mixing and esc mixing.

The really nice part is that you can get on for around $100.

Flysky GT3C
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #9

I've looked into those before, but never really considered it. How do they compare, to say, the futaba for speed?
Old 02-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Here is a pretty good comparison (see chart in first post):
Which surface radio system is the best? - Radios & Servos @ URC Forums
Old 02-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Futaba! Purchased my 4pls for 219$ at the LHS awesome radio! Can't wait to get the telemetry sensor for battery pack voltage they are a little expensive if you want to add more than one sensor. Great feel and very durable.
Minirider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I've been enjoying my 4PL immensely over the last four years and would also recommend it. I've owned three Spektrum transmitters and each had its bugs but the 4PL has been flawless. It is a little heavier than the 4R/4S but I find it to be very comfortable.

Ultimately, it's your radio and your preferences that you need to appease but if you go with the 4PL you should check out the 1900 mAh LiFe pack for it as well...worth the money, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by CreepyCrawl; 02-27-2015 at 10:01 PM.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:21 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBryant View Post
How about running MOA and 4ws on one rig with these remotes? Are they capable of running them at the same time?
MT-4 is Amazing!!!

I run all my rigs off of one.. 2.2p motor mixing makes it as easy as running a scaler! No buttons to push, no stopping mid crawl to figure out where you are..

On my scx, my winch is on the lever. But had 4ws setup on the lever and the winch setup on a button.

On my TF2, the shifter is setup on the lever.

Response is Ridiculously fast with airtronics!
Price to quality over other radio systems isn't in it's own price range, it should cost twice as much!

A few guys(RIcrawler, Jslick, Samu: off the top of my head) are running there supers off of the MT-4.. I don't have that personal experience yet. Mines still mid build..
But I have crawled with there's a little. It seems pretty straight forward and pretty simple.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I have a MT4S 40th anniversary edition on the way.

http://www.airtronics.net/media/cata...7/5/751573.jpg
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroTom View Post
I have a MT4S 40th anniversary edition on the way.

http://www.airtronics.net/media/cata...7/5/751573.jpg
Who's jealous? THIS GUY!!! ;)

I have a MT-4s here, NIP.. it doesn't look that Sharp tho.. That wheel is Sick!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #16

Thanks for all the help guys. Still trying to decide, but I'm now leaning towards the mt-4s, with the 4pls close behind.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:53 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Another vote for the MT-4. I've used Spektrum for years with most of my stuff (planes, helis, cars) but I needed something easier for my MOA's. Bought the MT-4 and I have to say it's the easiest radio to setup, feels very good in my hand and has all the features I need for crawling. The lever is absolutely ideal for burn/dig.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #18
RCC Addict

+1 on the Aitronics. I've got two, an MT-4 and an MT-4s. Couldn't resist a good sale. Love them both. Use them for my comp crawler, SCX-10 and a couple of go fast kinda cars. You could choose worse. I really like the way they fit my hand.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I am also looking for a new radio. Has anyone here themselves had problems with the Spektrum dx4c radio? I crawled with someone that had one yesterday and he really liked it. I only plan on using it with my scx10/Wraith and both have a winch and that's it. No 4ws or anything crazy like that.

The mt-4 looks like a great radio but if the dx4c is a decent radio its only $99 as opposed to $239 for the mt-4
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

How do the the 3rd and 4th channels on the MT-4S work with the levers, dials and buttons. I currently have a DX3C that I might replace. I like the 3rd channel on it because I can activate it with my thumb and I can set it to 2p, 3p, or linear. I currently have it 3p, for a winch and shifting. Looking through the MT manual, it seems that for multi-point, I have to use a trim switch?
EDIT: Basically the same question for the 4PLS. Can DT3 be set to multipoint?

Last edited by Jeckler; 03-03-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote

Thinking about a new radio.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking of a new radio rcaddict747 Electronics 6 02-14-2013 10:12 AM
Im thinking thinking about whats next...lol buggynutt Kyosho Crawlers 6 03-08-2012 09:04 AM
Radio help. Thinking of an affordable FM. RickM Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 02-16-2010 02:18 PM
Thinking of getting stick Radio boisetrucker Electronics 5 01-25-2009 10:57 AM
Thinking of getting a new radio CrawlerRon Electronics 2 07-31-2006 07:53 PM