Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Can anyone tell me if this is how a sensored motor should run?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Can anyone tell me if this is how a sensored motor should run?

I have a new HH Trailmaster brushless running on 3S, MMP ESC, 56/10 gearing. I have tried every setting in the MMP using CastleLink and nothing seems to change it's behavior. I have tested the sensor cable, and it's continuity is good. The motor seems to start better without the sensor wire connected. Once the motor starts to spin, it runs OK, both with and without the sensor wire, it's just starting it acts strange. With the sensor wire connected, it will whine and jitter a bit, then suddenly start spinning.

Here are a few videos showing what I mean. I am new to RC trucks, so perhaps this is how a brushless motor works, but I'm just looking for some input.

Sensor wire removed

Sensor wire attached

Trying to crawl in my basement with sensor wire connected
flyboy320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Can anyone tell me if this is how a sensored motor should run?

Somethings not right, you should be able to control the wheel speed 100% without the sudden speed. Have you tried the throttle curve setting with Castle Link? Also, try negative exponential on transmitter for your throttle.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

No something is wrong.
I had the same issue with that motor, I had to send it back to HH under warranty and the new one is super smooth.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Somethings not right, you should be able to control the wheel speed 100% without the sudden speed. Have you tried the throttle curve setting with Castle Link? Also, try negative exponential on transmitter for your throttle.
Tried both those suggestions yesterday, but same result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
No something is wrong.
I had the same issue with that motor, I had to send it back to HH under warranty and the new one is super smooth.
I will contact John and see what he says. Perhaps the sensor board in the motor is bad. He has already sent out a newer front plate since the one I got is very thin and only has about 2 threads for the mounting bolts to screw into.

The MMP I'm using is a used one, is there any chance the MMP sensor port is bad, or is that a very rare thing to go bad?

Last edited by flyboy320; 02-16-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The only way to find out if the MMP is faulty is to try another sensored motor.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy320 View Post
I will contact John and see what he says. Perhaps the sensor board in the motor is bad. He has already sent out a newer front plate since the one I got is very thin and only has about 2 threads for the mounting bolts to screw into.
You are right about that paper thin mounting plate and lack of threads, the motor I sent back due to the sensor problem also had a warped plate. Unfortunately the new motor they sent me still has it.
Hopefully they start putting the upgraded face plate on them before they are sold instead of people that find it to be a problem.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The front on mine is paper thin too. It starts up super smooth, but I run out of rpm way early, 9mph geared 4.6:1

It also runs super hot, like burning electronics smell hot. Outside temp is 50*.

Good thing I saved $50 over the roc412
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If the sensor head is clocked too far off the MMP will not like it.
I've seen similar issues on an old Speed passion 550 motor on a MMP. Retard the timing on the endbell (if adjustable)
It may be over timed mechanically.

That's the best guess I have currently.
GLwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLwagon View Post
If the sensor head is clocked too far off the MMP will not like it.
I've seen similar issues on an old Speed passion 550 motor on a MMP. Retard the timing on the endbell (if adjustable)
It may be over timed mechanically.

That's the best guess I have currently.
I don't think the HH Trailmaster has adjustable timing, it's fixed I believe.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:55 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I'm pretty sure the timing is fixed.

I was under impressed with the build of it. Definitely feels like the silver can special of the brushless world, and I got the pro version.

Compared to the fancy machined housing of the tekins, this motor is kind of cheesy.

I also went for the $10 motor leads. While the quality seems good, they're all red and unmarked. Not a problem if you have the motor next to the esc and can read the back of the can. If you had to run the wires under an interior, through a panel and in to a separate area it would be a bit confusing.

Also stripped one of the screw holes out the first time I tightened it. It's holding for now but won't survive another attempt.

If the low end wasn't so good I would be mailing it back. But the low end (the only end I have) is really good.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #11
KMK

I have the exact same problem with a crawlmaster sensored motor I got from Holmes last month.

I contacted him and he sent out a new sensor board to try, but the new board did not fix the issue.

I have yet to take the next step, need to send this guy in and let them figure out what's up.
KMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK View Post
I have the exact same problem with a crawlmaster sensored motor I got from Holmes last month.

I contacted him and he sent out a new sensor board to try, but the new board did not fix the issue.

I have yet to take the next step, need to send this guy in and let them figure out what's up.
John just emailed me to say he has sent out a replacement board so I'm hoping that fixes the problem. My worry is like your motor, it won't fix the issue. I guess if that's the case, perhaps it might be the MMP ESC that's at fault.

What ESC are you using?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #13
KMK

Quote:
John just emailed me to say he has sent out a replacement board so I'm hoping that fixes the problem. My worry is like your motor, it won't fix the issue. I guess if that's the case, perhaps it might be the MMP ESC that's at fault.

What ESC are you using?
MMP, but it runs all my other motors just fine.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
MMP, but it runs all my other motors just fine.
Are your other motors the Trailmaster as well, or are they another brand?
Old 02-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
I'm pretty sure the timing is fixed.

I was under impressed with the build of it. Definitely feels like the silver can special of the brushless world, and I got the pro version.

Compared to the fancy machined housing of the tekins, this motor is kind of cheesy.

I also went for the $10 motor leads. While the quality seems good, they're all red and unmarked. Not a problem if you have the motor next to the esc and can read the back of the can. If you had to run the wires under an interior, through a panel and in to a separate area it would be a bit confusing.

Also stripped one of the screw holes out the first time I tightened it. It's holding for now but won't survive another attempt.

If the low end wasn't so good I would be mailing it back. But the low end (the only end I have) is really good.
We can replace that faceplate for you, and I agree that the finish of the Pro motors isn't where it should be. In general the factory we have been using has gone from supurb to marginal with every passing batch, although the motor performance is unaffected. We are in the middle of switching to a new partner that has been able to provide a finer product finish, because Pro quality needs to look the part and not just perform it.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
We can replace that faceplate for you, and I agree that the finish of the Pro motors isn't where it should be. In general the factory we have been using has gone from supurb to marginal with every passing batch, although the motor performance is unaffected. We are in the middle of switching to a new partner that has been able to provide a finer product finish, because Pro quality needs to look the part and not just perform it.
And I suddenly remember why this forum is so awesome

I'll let you know if i need a faceplate, it's holding strong now.

Any chance these take a little "break in"? I didn't have any heat issues today, and the mid range has definitely warmed up. Ran an hour straight, motor reads 115* MMP is getting worked, the fan runs almost all the time.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #17
KMK

Quote:
Are your other motors the Trailmaster as well, or are they another brand?
No not Trailmaster, I have a Tekin and a Novak both sensored brushless that work just fine.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
No not Trailmaster, I have a Tekin and a Novak both sensored brushless that work just fine.
Keep us updated if you solve the issue...
Old 03-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Thought I would post an update to my situation. John sent out a replacement front plate, but unfortunately one for a different motor was sent to me. John then sent a replacement for the replacement and it fits great with a few more threads for the mounting bolts to grab in to.

I also received a replacement sensor board and the motor now runs great. Starts slow and crawls much better.

Now I just have to wait for spring to arrive so I can actually crawl with it instead of playing in the snow in my back yard!

Can anyone tell me if this is how a sensored motor should run? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sensored motor and non sensored esc?? Turtlejon Electronics 1 09-19-2014 12:19 AM
Sensored Motor and NON Sensored ESC. Timmahh Electronics 7 12-11-2008 09:21 PM