Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Trying to make custom 5 LED light bar work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2015, 09:40 AM   #1

Default Trying to make custom 5 LED light bar work

I bought some warm white LEDs
5mm LED - Warm / Soft White - Ultra Bright Round Top

and a few 150 ohm resistors to make a custom LED string in series for my Axial 5 bucket light bar.
I want it powered by the Rx and controlled by a remote switch.

I knew it's not going to have enough voltage from the RX or my Lipo 2S 7.4v battery to power the lights. I pluged it into my Axial simple LED controller and only 4 of the lights work.

How can I get all 5 to work? I would need some sort of voltage up thing stronger than Axials one? It's my 1st LED wiring job so im a total Noob .

I've read on here about LEDs and used the calculator, but I want the lights in a series and not parallel. Too many wires in a parallel. Also im using 22 gauge wire.

Last edited by Brickman; 03-19-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Trying to make custom 5 LED light bar work

if you are intent on series only wiring then you will need to get a voltage step up booster, i made and use one for my lighting needs but thats because i need it small and branded for my circuits, however you could probably get one from fleabay for a few dollars.

as they are only standard leds and max 20ma per led you dont need 22awg wire if you want something more flexible and thinner, i use 28/30 awg for my leds and they tend to be running up to 100ma per string and they have been reliable on that wire, and i have made a hell of alot of them lol.

also worth mentionong the leds may be rated 20 ma but when doing your resistor calcs you dont need to run them at 20ma, maybe 15 at most, an led is just as bright at 15ma or even 10ma as it would be at 20, but it is more efficient and produces less heat in the die, also as an led warms up from use its current draw increases slightly so if you run them at 20 ma and they get warm from use and start drawing more current than they are rated for then they will self destruct.

unlike most other components in circuits that only draw as much current as they need led's are different in the fact that they are greedy and suicidal, they will draw all the current they can until they kill themselves so 15ma max gives you a safety margin for when they have been on for a bit and warmed up and will probably be drawing more than the initial resistor calculation was set for.

this is my step up boost circuit, 6v in and 18v out or whatever i need upto 40v, it can allow me to do series strings pulling a few hundred milliamps which is good for my custom lightbar and other things and it can go up to 40v and still give me just over 100ma but it costs more than the cheap ebay offerings

also you may want to look at cool white led's instead of warm white, they will appear brighter than the warm white ones

tony

Last edited by Awesome-Sauce RC; 03-19-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Awesome-Sauce RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the input.
A step up converter like this will work?
XL6009 DC DC Adjustable Step Up Boost Power Converter Module 1pc | eBay

I'll defiantly get some 15ma resistors. Don't want to change out the LEDs anytime soon.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:41 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

yep that would work, only downside to those is they are bigger than the castle bec's for example.

i use the alternative step down version of that for my breadboard circuits and its taken lots of abuse quite well lol

tony
Awesome-Sauce RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #5

Finally had time to work on my lightbar. Got it 90% done.

Instead of using resistors I bought some LED drivers so no matter the input voltage the LEDs wont burn out.
20mA LED Driver - Never Worry About Resistors Again

Left the lights on for a half hour and only get 80 degrees and 75 in my room.

Just need to mount the bar on my Wraith, run the wires through the body, seal up the electronics box and ready for night driving
Old 04-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #6

That current limiter looks very cool!

I put a nice bright light bar on top and was all stoked but when I got it in the dark I soon realized I was blind where it counted...on the rocks! Couldn't see jack to pick a line. Ended up putting LED strips of green rock lights on the horizontal side panels and another small green light bar up front aimed down for 270 deg of rock lighting. It is awesome!
Cammmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #7

All done

DSC05402

DSC05401

Receiver and LED stuff in the radio shack project box. Blue thing is the step up voltage converter for the 5 bucket light bar.

DSC05377

Last edited by Brickman; 05-02-2015 at 07:40 PM.

Trying to make custom 5 LED light bar work - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Larry 8 LED Pocket Work Light as cheap scale light bar spoo76 General Scale Talk 8 12-15-2014 06:38 AM
Stock G6 light mounts for a led light bar? s102000 Axial SCX-10 3 04-02-2014 06:59 AM
How would I make a custom light bar??? jonesssy123 Electronics 2 03-18-2014 12:09 PM