Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: scx10 deadbolt, steering but no throttle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default scx10 deadbolt, steering but no throttle

Ok just ordered 1.9xls new metal horn and installed them today, went out to a course we do. Wasn't impressed with the tires, seemed like I lost power. Made it about half way though the course we usually do, and it started acting like the battery was diying. Thought well this sucks those tires drained my battery. I thought there is no way it drained that fast. I hit the throttle a couple more times and it would go for about 3 ft then stop. Then it woul have no throttle and only steer. I swapped my wife's battery into my deadbolt and still had steering and lurched forward a few times but then would stop. When we got home, I tested the motor, and the motor spun fine. Did I somehow burn up the esc? I tried resetting the esc, but now esc doesn't beep, and now just blinks red... No throttle at all
Jmccallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: scx10 deadbolt, steering but no throttle

Recharged battery to full charge. Put back in truck, esc beeped felt like it had full power again. Ran for about 20 seconds. Then stopped, flashing red light... Turned everything off, tried to reset esc but it won't allow me. When I restart the esc with the throttle pinned, it just sits there and blinks red....?
Old 04-20-2015, 06:09 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Calibrate the radio to the esc
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
MODERATOR™

I assume this one?

http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...Drag_Brake.pdf

Throttle pinned?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I can't get the esc to recalibrate. I have the throttle trim all the way down, turn on the receiver, hold full throttle. Turn on esc, esc beeps twice then esc just blinks red with no beeps. Let off throttle, esc beeps once then blinking red goes away. I then have throttle for the time being?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:36 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Ok don't know if this has anything to do with this, I got new chubs, cv axles, high steer knuckles, and new beadlock rims and 1.9tsl Xls made new aluminum front tie rod and link that goes to servo horn. Also bought new aluminum 25t horn. The rims were too big and hit the knuckles bad( I did not drive it) I got new wider hex nuts and also got Phillips head bolts for headlock backside. They still rubbed vey very little so I filed the knuckle down to where I now have a heavy 1/16th gap between knuckle and head of bolts. The reason I'm listing all this is because I don't know how but if this stuff might have caused a problem. The front tires seem to jump now (elevated on a stand) they do not spin the same speed as the back tires if I barely touch the throttle. I don't know if this is even anything, just trying to be as informative as I can.

Last edited by Jmccallie; 04-20-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

I'll ask again... Is it the AE-5 controller?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I'll ask again... Is it the AE-5 controller?
Oooops Sorry EeePee I took the question mark as a statement! Yes it is the AE-5
Old 04-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

Did you read the link I spent three seconds looking for that tells you to not pin the throttle for calibration? And set your trim to zero?
Old 04-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Did you read the link I spent three seconds looking for that tells you to not pin the throttle for calibration? And set your trim to zero?
Yes, so basically the same steps I do every time I turn the truck on... Except for the trim part, but it's always set at the lowest point anyway.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #11
MODERATOR™

And don't hit the gas. Twice you've said you're flooring it and the instructions specifically say do not. Trim should be at zero, not all the way down (but that infers -100, so that might be a misunderstanding on my part). Trim affects reverse also.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
And don't hit the gas. Twice you've said you're flooring it and the instructions specifically say do not. Trim should be at zero, not all the way down (but that infers -100, so that might be a misunderstanding on my part). Trim affects reverse also.
Well I did as you posted and stated. And I just took it for a test run, ran well full power for at least 10 minutes. It's raining out so didn't want to get it soaked... Still not sure if it's fixed but seems to be. Will know next nice day! Ok so questions, if it somehow did fix the problem, I don't know what I did wrong or why it started messing up in the first place? I have turned the transmitter on first then the esc all but one time when I did it backwards. And I always have the throttle in the neutral position. I did get confused because in another tutorial they said to hold throttle pinned. And second question, on the other thread I was reading it said hold throttle then the esc would beep, then go full reverse, and it would recalibrate and allow you to change drag break and other things? I'm just a little confused on what I did wrong and what the recalibration actually does and allows me to do? I'm sorry I'm completely uneducated on these things. I did post in the newb section but didn't feel I'd get the right awnser. I honestly spend a lot of time researching these things at leas 2 to 3 hrs almost everyday.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:54 PM   #13
MODERATOR™

Looks as if reading comprehension got ya.

You change jumpers to change drag brake. Says so in the manual.

The AE-5 reminds me of a Thunder Tiger/Reedy/LRP (maybe) based Associated B4 buggy ESC that auto programs every time you turn it on. You have to not touch a thing for about 5 seconds. I don't know how it sets endpoints, it makes no sense really if you never tell it this is how far my throttle or reverse goes...
Old 04-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Looks as if reading comprehension got ya.

You change jumpers to change drag brake. Says so in the manual.

The AE-5 reminds me of a Thunder Tiger/Reedy/LRP (maybe) based Associated B4 buggy ESC that auto programs every time you turn it on. You have to not touch a thing for about 5 seconds. I don't know how it sets endpoints, it makes no sense really if you never tell it this is how far my throttle or reverse goes...
Not so much the reading. More of all the names and electronics... Kind of unfair to say well did you use the search button, or did you not read the manual. Granted, these things seem simple, and are probably no brainers for the guys that have been doing it for years, or people that know there way around electronics. But that's like saying well you had a manual why can't you rebuild the motor in a full size. Just like you stated change jumpers to change drag brake. I read the manual the best I can, and I still don't have the slightest clue what you mean by that. So guess what, I'll use the search button. I have 9 tabs open above me trying to figure this stuff out. So ease up on people. It's a forum to help people, not to critique people and make them feel dumb. I appreciate the help, but realize everybody started somewhere and that they to knew nothing about all this terminology....
Old 04-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

So it's the AE-2 that has the full throttle pinned ( which was someone's response in the newb section) to my post over there. so getting bad info is more of the problem. I get shamed if I post anywhere but the newb section, then I get made fun of if I post anywhere else. And you still have yet to explain why the car made it half way through a hour course then all the sudden it starts acting up?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #16
MODERATOR™

You're not being shamed. I'm blunt and brief and expect people to have researched. I'm also the only one offering help, other than novarider's generic post.

A brown out maybe. Meaning you overworked the ESC's internal BEC and it turned off. You were holding the throttle when it turned back on meaning its calibration was goofy and then this. Possible. I don't know though.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Did you take your motor loose? Or did you hit it or maybe did your tool come between your motor and your bolt and nut when tighten the links? If so it could have moved your motor just enough to change the gap between the spur and pinion. Or did you over tighten any of the steering or wheel components. That could have caused the esc electronic speed controller to brown out.

Last edited by snapon boy; 04-20-2015 at 04:41 PM.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Alright EeePee, I can undestand brief, sorry for jumping on the defensive end so fast. But you don't really come across as the nicest guy on this forum, but being the moderator I'm sure you get tired of the same thing over and over.... Thanks for putting it in beginners terms.

I did mirror the trans and the screws that hold the transmission ended up coming out. I replaced with m3 longer screws and it is now tight. The spur gear seems to align with the pinion well.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Check and make sure the longer screws didn't pierce the transmission case as this would cause increased friction and could easily have caused the shortened run time and browning out of the esc.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
Check and make sure the longer screws didn't pierce the transmission case as this would cause increased friction and could easily have caused the shortened run time and browning out of the esc.
Just pulled apart the transmission, the screws did not go through housing or make any indent. Ran it inside for about 15 20 min and the esc and motor were pretty hot. The esc was definitely warmer than being just Luke warm...? Wonder if with the bigger tires I'm making it run harder and causing it to get hot and shut down?

scx10 deadbolt, steering but no throttle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 deadbolt, steering but no throttle Jmccallie Newbie General 11 04-23-2015 01:00 AM
Help. Throttle controlling throttle and steering andneverexhale Electronics 6 08-21-2014 07:46 PM
Steering no throttle moejean Axial SCX-10 9 03-31-2013 12:33 AM
Steering but no throttle 2JSC Electronics 16 05-09-2010 12:18 AM