Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: bad pro4hd?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question bad pro4hd?

Hey guys, almost a month ago, maybe more I had a pro4hd, hooked up to an rx8 gen2. Now for the first day it ran flawlessly, or my approximation of flawless, anyway the next day I was driving over some old truck'in magazines, then my wraith died, upon me picking it up, an walking back to my hobby bench the ESC bursts into flames.....ya, it was my first burnt ESC. In a mad panic I pulled the lipo.
Anyways, now I have the motor just sitting here, but I'm just a bit scurd to be hooking it up to another rx8.

No, I don't have any other types of ESCs to test the motor, just the rx8s. Do you guys have any tricks up your sleeve that I could try? I'd just like to know if the motor is bad, or did I catch a bad ecs. Tekin has already replaced the ESC, but they didn't tell me what hapoened to it.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: bad pro4hd?

If you have a multimeter that you can use to check continuity (mine has an audible continuity check setting), you can tell if the motor is shorted out to the can. You should have continuity between any of the A,B,C wires (A to B, A to C, C to B). You shouldn't have continuity to anywhere else on the motor. Scrape some anodizing off and check between any of the ABC wires and the can (the anodizing can have enough insulating effect to throw off continuity. You can even check between any of the ABC wires and the rotor (where the pinion mounts).

If you have continuity to the can or rotor, you likely have a motor problem. I smoked an MMP into flames this way due to a bad motor, and a buddy of mine just had a bad Castle 2200kv motor in his Yeti XL. Luckily his ESC didn't fry.
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote

bad pro4hd? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro4HD 2500kv or ROC412 3100? sullivanscx10 Axial Wraith 8 05-31-2013 12:18 PM