Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need help choosing a 2.4 ghz Tx/Rx combo under 100$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need help choosing a 2.4 ghz Tx/Rx combo under 100$

I've been running my now ancient (7 year old) TLT based Gopher tube framed rig off of an even older 27mhz AM radio that came RTR with my Losi XXX-T over a decade ago. I think it's time to upgrade.

I am looking at getting a 2.4 ghz pistol grip radio and receiver combo. I am thinking I should go for a 4 channel as I plan to eventually get a scaler kit and eventually have a winch on it, and maybe a 2 speed tranny. I want my new radio to be able to handle whatever might come up needs wise down the road.

I have pretty much ruled out driving comp rigs at this point as things have escalated a lot since I took a break from crawling 5 or so years ago. Practically all the comp rigs in my state's group have about $1K invested in them at least. There is no longer a sportsman comp class for lesser rigs, just pro comp, and then 2.2 and 1.9 scalers. I also prefer scalers anyway. It's easier to find fun terrain to drive on, and I would like a rig I can take a hike with.

So, basically I need a 2.4 ghz 4 channel pistol grip radio and receiver combo who's 2 extra channels can run a winch, 2 speed tranny, or anything else I am forgetting (post up suggestions). I looked around and saw there are several to choose from, but I've been away for a while and could use suggestions as to what is trustworthy at this price level.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2015, 11:20 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Need help choosing a 2.4 ghz Tx/Rx combo under 100$

Get a hacked flysky gt3b from losikid.
$50 I believe. You can program up to 8 channels. With the appropriate RX.

https://overkillrc.3dcartstores.com
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:36 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Their unavailable right now, but yes best choice for that price, can't go wrong.
Bully2RockRomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:14 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Glad to hear your moving forward again T-man. I've heard nothing but good things about the Flysky radios sold by Lossikid @ Overkiil RC and the price is amazing for the features vailable.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:45 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

This is what I use.
Turnigy GTX3 AFHDS 2.4ghz 3 Channel Radio System

You can hack these the same as the Flysky. Same guts internally.
There is a thread explaining the differences between the GTX3 and the GT3B.

I've had no problems. You can buy whichever one you want and hack it later.

FLY SKY FS-GT3B Digital 3-Channel 2.4ghz TX & RX LCD Transmitter & Receiver If you want the GT3B link.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:27 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

A hacked GT3C/GT3B is the best for future expandability since it has the option for so many channels and the extra receivers are cheap. I prefer the GT3C to the GT3B for the lighter weight and lithium battery. A good off-the-shelf option is the Spektrum DX4C (the version without the AVC receiver), not as flexible as the Flysky system but its 4 channel and available at most hobby shops for $99.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I think I'll look at the getting the GT3C. I like the rechargeable battery it has. They are out of the 8 channel receivers at the moment, so I will either wait to order, or see if they will sell me one when they come in, but with the discount I could have gotten by buying it bundled with the radio since it wasn't available at the time.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

FlySky 2.4G 6-Channel Receiver (R6B) for CT6B 6-CH TX
Six channel is in stock. If that helps.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm having second thoughts about one of these hacked radios. I went to losikid's profile page and several people were complaining of failures of the radios. Also, I don't think I will be needing more than 4 channels any time in the near future, and in a year or two I'll be out of college and have a well paying career, so if I really needed a crapload of channels I could upgrade then. I doubt I'll have the money to create a rig that uses more than 4 channels before then, and I don't need stuff like a mixer for a moa rig as I have no plans to have an MOA rig.

Anyone have experience with this radio? RC4WD XR4 4-Channel 2.4Ghz Transmitter & Receiver
Old 05-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't have a second thought about the GT3C, you run the same risk of having a Flysky radio fail as you would any other radio. All the guys I run with have at least 1 hacked GT3C they use on a regular basis, some even have 2 or 3 of them for their kids.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I have 2 Turnigy radios. Both hacked, by myself. I have no issues.
Cheap, and even if you don't hack them, they're still 3 channel.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The Spektrum DX4C's have really small trigger's, so if you have large hands, they are not comfortable to use at all, but the Flysky has an excellent trigger that is big enough to suit larger hands which is great.

Last edited by Bully2RockRomper; 05-05-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Bully2RockRomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjpjr View Post
Get a hacked flysky gt3b from losikid.
$50 I believe. You can program up to 8 channels. With the appropriate RX.

https://overkillrc.3dcartstores.com
Or just buy unhacked from HobbyPartz and you can hack later if need to. I have GT3B and GT3C both un-hacked since I have not needed the extra channels, bought a half dozen extra receivers when I bought the radio, since they are inexpensive.

BTW, any radio can and some do fail whether it's high dollar name brand or not.

EDIT: At the price of this radio, buy two so you have spare.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I have 2 GT3C radios and a Futaba 4PL. Both GT3Cs are hacked, one I bought hacked, and are you ready for this, The other my wife hacked!!! I use both of them while the 4PL sets on the shelf.
You will be missing the boat if don't go with the Skyfly radio. For the price you won't find a better radio!!!!!!!!!!!
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Okay, I guess I will go for the GT3C after all.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

You will like it!
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTman View Post
I think I'll look at the getting the GT3C. I like the rechargeable battery it has. They are out of the 8 channel receivers at the moment, so I will either wait to order, or see if they will sell me one when they come in, but with the discount I could have gotten by buying it bundled with the radio since it wasn't available at the time.
I don't have any 8ch rx's on order and have no plans to order any.

I recommend buying them off ebay or hobbypartz.

FlySky 2.4G 8 CHANNEL AFHDS RECEIVER
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I don't have any 8ch rx's on order and have no plans to order any.

I recommend buying them off ebay or hobbypartz.

FlySky 2.4G 8 CHANNEL AFHDS RECEIVER
I was wondering about some stuff on the GT3C's page on your site. It lists an option to have a more reliable power switch installed but does not provide a check box for it. There is also no check box to have a programmer shipped with it. Only the check box to get a programming port is on that page. I would like the power switch mod, as well as a programmer with it rather than pay extra for a programmer with the hardware for modding the radio which I would have no need for.

Edit: I looked over the guide for installing the programming port, and it looks like something I can do just fine. I've done simple circuit board soldering like this before. I was worried it was more complex, but it isn't. I think I'll look at ordering a radio with the latest firmware but no programming port, and then buy the port+programmer kit separate. I know only ones with the port installed are in stock, but I can wait. I'll have to look into what it takes to mod the power switch as I might be able to do that too.

2nd Edit: Looked into it and found that buying the programming kit, and the radio separate of amazon is about the same cost as buying the pre-programmed radio without a port installed. I read up on the power switch and that is an easy fix I can do. I have all the necessary tools and supplies for it.

Last edited by theTman; 05-06-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #19
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTman View Post
I was wondering about some stuff on the GT3C's page on your site. It lists an option to have a more reliable power switch installed but does not provide a check box for it. There is also no check box to have a programmer shipped with it. Only the check box to get a programming port is on that page. I would like the power switch mod, as well as a programmer with it rather than pay extra for a programmer with the hardware for modding the radio which I would have no need for.

Edit: I looked over the guide for installing the programming port, and it looks like something I can do just fine. I've done simple circuit board soldering like this before. I was worried it was more complex, but it isn't. I think I'll look at ordering a radio with the latest firmware but no programming port, and then buy the port+programmer kit separate. I know only ones with the port installed are in stock, but I can wait. I'll have to look into what it takes to mod the power switch as I might be able to do that too.

2nd Edit: Looked into it and found that buying the programming kit, and the radio separate of amazon is about the same cost as buying the pre-programmed radio without a port installed. I read up on the power switch and that is an easy fix I can do. I have all the necessary tools and supplies for it.
Flysky has fixed the power switch issue.

Due to limited inventory and website inventory tracking, I'm not currently offering the programmer with the radio. Very, Very few people order the radios with a programmer so I have omitted that option for afew months.

Also, due to having to order radios in bulk from china. I'll only be stocking the option with programming port. The extra money I make off these radios has been going towards repaying my personal bank account for some recent investments and getting a much better customer support system up and running. I need to get another 30-40 radios sold before I'll bring back the more economic version of the already modded radios. $100 bucks is already a great bargain compared to other radios on the market. If you want to save afew bucks and want a programmer. Buying a radio and a kit will do it.

Here's a preview at the future support support system. Still have a month or two of writing kb articles. They are very in depth and contain pretty much all of my knowledge about adjusting parameters on the new firmware. I'll also have plenty of articles written on modding procedures, info, tips, etc. And articles helping out with my other products.

losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Flysky has fixed the power switch issue.

Due to limited inventory and website inventory tracking, I'm not currently offering the programmer with the radio. Very, Very few people order the radios with a programmer so I have omitted that option for afew months.

Also, due to having to order radios in bulk from china. I'll only be stocking the option with programming port. The extra money I make off these radios has been going towards repaying my personal bank account for some recent investments and getting a much better customer support system up and running. I need to get another 30-40 radios sold before I'll bring back the more economic version of the already modded radios. $100 bucks is already a great bargain compared to other radios on the market. If you want to save afew bucks and want a programmer. Buying a radio and a kit will do it.

Here's a preview at the future support support system. Still have a month or two of writing kb articles. They are very in depth and contain pretty much all of my knowledge about adjusting parameters on the new firmware. I'll also have plenty of articles written on modding procedures, info, tips, etc. And articles helping out with my other products.

Aww, sorry I would have bought a radio from you in that case, but my Fiance just ordered one off of amazon. It's my anniversary present from her, but we are both in college and can't afford a heck of a lot. Turns out she could only afford about 50 dollars, and I'm not quite up for shelling out 50+ on top of that as well as more money on her gift, but to support this modding and upgraded firmware I would have.

I'll see about getting on the backorder list for the programmer.

Edit: There, I just put in an order for a programmer kit.

Last edited by theTman; 05-06-2015 at 04:03 PM.

Need help choosing a 2.4 ghz Tx/Rx combo under 100$ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help choosing my motor and esc combo for my 1.9 tuber SCALER14 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 03-19-2013 08:38 PM
Sxc10 truggy in da works , help me decide: fxr combo or Holmes combo trialsallday Electronics 5 07-18-2012 02:00 PM
Whose quote is give 100 people a chassis and they'll build it 100 diff ways? Rig Rocker Chit Chat 6 10-05-2010 10:40 AM
choosing an electronics combo. opinions? yjdavid Electronics 23 07-26-2010 12:29 PM
novak goat brushless combo or rooster brushed combo? killerklod007 Electronics 6 04-08-2009 08:35 AM