Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Electronic Problems? You probably need an External BEC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2020, 03:46 AM   #61

Default Re: Electronic Problems? You probably need an External BEC

Hello guys. I would like to ask you for your opinion to the following. I have just installed HH SHV500V3 servo to my 1/8 crawler (7-8 kgs) and I have the same problem with buzzing servo as many guys here so I would like to ask you or John to confirm me that it is normal for this servo and it will not affect the servo:-) ESC HW 1080, FS-GT5 combo, 3S Lipo.. When I turn the rig on, everything is ok, steering to the both sides is without problem but when I let the wheel go back to the neutral possition, servo still lightly buzzing - trying to go to the neutral possition. When I lift the rig, everything is OK with no buzz sound and the same when I go forward so it center the wheels.. so it seems it is becuase of weight/counterweight. I tried everything, center the servo, rebinding, check if everyting goes smoothly.. still the same.. and mainly when I turn slowly.. It seems it is becuase of the adhesion of wheels to the surface but.. I have 2 other digital servos and they don´t do that but they are not a high voltage/torque servos.. It is my first experience with this kind of servos so I prefer to ask before to wait and then solve a failure. thank you!

EDIT: I wrote to the HH support and they confirmed me it is normal..

Last edited by Billy CZ; 07-15-2020 at 11:24 PM.
Billy CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #62
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelon_Crawl View Post
I have purchased the SHV500V3 steering servo from Holmes Hobbies and will have it paired with a Hobbywing 1080 esc and Crawlmaster Pro 12t brushed motor running in my Trx-4 Sport kit.

Should I run a battery directly to the servo? If so, what all would I need, parts wise? This is the first time dealing with an external BEC. Just trying to figure out what would be best for my rig to get the most performance out of it.

Thanks,
Matt
I have a hobbywing 1080 esc and I am loosing my mind trying to figure out which servo to run with. Then I fell down the BEC rabbit hole and decided I think the best route is to go with something that powers directly from the battery. Seeing your set up, I think I am just going to add myself to the wait list for the SHV500v3. Are you happy with the set up?
Boomer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:02 AM   #63

Boomer,

Yes, I am most definitely satisfied with the setup. The servo was installed on my Trx-4 Sport kit and fit flawlessly. It provides a ton of torque and whips those 1.9’s around like a rag doll. The only thing that I have noticed is that it is louder than my other servos with a constant buzzing sound. That could also be due to this being my first “high-torque” servo so from what I understand, the louder buzzing sound is normal. Definitely not a negative thing though. Holmes Hobbies makes an amazing product and I would highly recommend. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watermelon_Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #64
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelon_Crawl View Post
Boomer,

Yes, I am most definitely satisfied with the setup. The servo was installed on my Trx-4 Sport kit and fit flawlessly. It provides a ton of torque and whips those 1.9’s around like a rag doll. The only thing that I have noticed is that it is louder than my other servos with a constant buzzing sound. That could also be due to this being my first “high-torque” servo so from what I understand, the louder buzzing sound is normal. Definitely not a negative thing though. Holmes Hobbies makes an amazing product and I would highly recommend. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I am on the waitlist so hopefully my patience will hold out. I appreciate the heads up on the buzzing. It may have concerned me if I didn't know it was normal. There was a similar question above from Billy_CZ regarding the buzz and he said HH confirmed that it is normal as well. So it looks like that will be the set up for me once it is available.

Thanks again
Old 07-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer75 View Post
Thanks, I am on the waitlist so hopefully my patience will hold out. I appreciate the heads up on the buzzing. It may have concerned me if I didn't know it was normal. There was a similar question above from Billy_CZ regarding the buzz and he said HH confirmed that it is normal as well. So it looks like that will be the set up for me once it is available.

Thanks again

Just so you are aware, Team Garage Hack still has the SHV500 v3 in stock if you are still looking.

https://www.teamgaragehack.com/colle...shv500v3-servo

HH had them in for a short time yesterday.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #66
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Just so you are aware, Team Garage Hack still has the SHV500 v3 in stock if you are still looking.

https://www.teamgaragehack.com/colle...shv500v3-servo

HH had them in for a short time yesterday.
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one from Team Garage Hack. I had not heard of them prior to your suggestion. Thanks again
Old 04-01-2021, 02:45 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Can you tell me the pro's and con's of an ESC with an internal BEC vs an external BEC and the pro's and con's of using a splitter vs removing the red wire?
Den72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:41 AM   #68

Hmmm sometimes they don’t get back to you or takes awhile. But wish I saw the mini brxl before ordering the regular one. But it’s all good make it work..
So apparently I really need a crawl master mini esc but heard there’s a new
One out October with a internal bec? Is that still a go?
Price? Maybe I’ll wait fir that. But.. I’ve come across a
Lovely team driver gspeed and probably not a lot of options to change bc it has the tgh creeper trans and the original is plastic printed so heat is a problem or would be.
It’s a great setup. But has a mamba micro x and a 3 bros yellow jacket out runner I pretty sure 2000kv on 3s.. how it was built.
I know super loud and don’t care as much about that but will quiet when parts available.. my question bc it’s balanced for weight but also bc the trans case appears it’s the old 3D printed plastic. What are some other options for either a motor or motor/esc? Still want to climb don’t care a lot about top speed.
But we will say a quieter application. ? And is this setup still used and the best thing anymore? I’m RC for long time but not to crawling. Missed a lot .
I do have a HH TMexpert21t for another truck and the brxl.
And then it has the micro x in it. I want to run the 3s at least. Lipos I have and purchased small ones more.
So not a extra pricey motor but yea what’s some options here?
Keel this setup enjoy it for what it is and eventually quiet it down? Or options for better or etc.
thank you for the time of any and all’s thoughts ..
Either way I stoked to get this thing. It’s a V2 with dravtechs and incision shafts and good stuff
On it.
What would you guys do in this situation?’it does
Come with a castle link and cord so I need to download program. Of that adds to choices.
Vertikal Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Electronic Problems? You probably need an External BEC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External BEC Chip73 Axial Yeti XL 6 05-03-2015 04:37 PM
internal esc bec or external bec 3sgte Electronics 15 01-15-2015 08:23 PM
Do I need an external BEC? clockworks Electronics 24 04-07-2014 12:26 PM
Yes, you need an external BEC! JohnRobHolmes Electronics 0 11-04-2012 06:22 AM
using external BEC & esc's internal BEC.... slowlearner Newbie General 2 02-14-2010 01:35 AM