Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Yeti Electronic Poltergeist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Yeti Electronic Poltergeist

In my Yeti I run a RX8 T8 combo that is perfect for the truck. The one issue is that I like water, so to combat that I dipped the ESC and sensor board in Corrosion X. Worked great, flawless even, until a couple weeks ago. I got the truck stuck in some nasty mud, power cut out, I eventually got it to run for another 30 minutes before it died again. That ESC is pretty much a lost cause, but I might be able to send it back to Tekin for a $120 replacement? Either way I wanted to do something different this time around, something more permanent.

I used MG silicone conformal coating this Second round. Applied 3 generous coats for extra protection and wired everything up. When I plugged it in, I had fully functioning ESC, but no servo(savox). I later realized it was because I had the RX8 set at 6.0 and plugged the BEC (CC 10A) in too. I thought I smoked the servo and ordered a new HH servo that was dead on arrival. It was then I tested the original savox, and found it was NOT burnt out. Using what I had, by cannibalizing my other rigs, I tried 2 other RX's I had (Running a Spektrum DX4C). One let me use the ESC, the other gave me nothing, no servo MOVEMENT on either (I think it was holding the wheels center, at least on the better of the two). So I ordered a new Sprektum 4ch with some of their water protection.

Thinking I had finally paid my way through this issue I plugged everything in, and again no success. Frustrated, I used another radio system I had (AX-3 rtr). That acutally got the servo working, but the ESC was very glitchy. By glitchy I'm talking about the motor trying to move with not input, the esc showing reverse input, and what felt like sticky throttle. That doesn't work for me, so I stole a HH Trailmaster Pro BLE I had and plugged it in, with no ESC or servo response (on Spektrum system).

I am pretty much out of ideas. I don't understand why this is happening, and I am hopping that someone could help lead me to an answer. For everyone following, I'll put this into a cliff notes version. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

-Corrosion X RX8 Failure

-MG Silicone Conformal Coating RX8

-Plug in both RX8 6.0V BEC and CC 10A BEC

-Try 2 rx's I had on hand

-Try with RX8 @ 6.0V and CC 10A BEC @6.0

-Try different CC 10A BEC

-Try AX-3 System, works but glitchy

-Try HH Trailmaster Pro BLE ESC

EXTRA:

-When it has been close to working (both ESC and servo working at the same time) it is VERY glitchy, drives under own power, shows input that hasn't been in-put, sticky throttle

-When the ESC works with the Spektrum rx's, it is glitchy as well

-I have not had success with using a Spektrum rx and the original servo

-I Corrosion X'd the guts of my DX4C when I had it open to replace a spring
kstowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Yeti Electronic Poltergeist

Did you calibrate the Holmes esc to the radio? It's also possible the savox is actually bad. A servo that's bad or going bad can shut down everything, I've had it happen. Try a known good servo or just remove the servo plug from the rx and then calibrate the esc again and see if you get throttle.
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Yeti Electronic Poltergeist

Novarider, I've tired just about every combination of ESC/motor/servo/rx-tx that I have. I've calibrated the esc, with no effect. I think the RX8 might be the issue, now it just give me the 1,3,5 LEDs flashing (low voltage). I might send it back to Tekin, unless someone has any other suggestions to try.
kstowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti Electronic Poltergeist - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Yeti XL Monster Buggy Electronic Upgrades RcMan2727 Electronics 4 02-10-2015 06:56 AM