Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Help with DX4s and FXR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2015, 04:18 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Help with DX4s and FXR?

Hey guys, I looked on here for similar situation and couldn't find one, So please forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, I couldn't find an answer, but I did look...

First... Heres my Hardware:
Battery = 3S 11.1V 3000ma
Motor = Tekin 45T Brushed
ESC = Tekin FXR
BEC = CC 10A
Servo = HiTec 7954sh
TX = Spektrum DX4S
RX = Spektrum SR410 4ch

Issue:
I've double and triple checked everything for wiring errors, Everything checks out All Reds going to Positive, All Blacks going to Negative, all soldering connections are good and everything plugged in correctly to the Receiver. ESC Red wire disconnected and isolated for BEC use.

I am fully able to use forward and reverse, and steering, and speed controller modes have been manually programmed and calibrated.

However, I have to reverse my Steering and Throttle channels on my transmitter. Normally This would not be too much of an issue, but the ESC has one particular reversing mode that is supposed to make it so you can't go immediately from throttle to reverse. you have to leave the throttle at neutral for a second first. However for me it is backwards. I can go from throttle to reverse immediately, but now I have to wait a second before I can go forward again. This is a result of the Channel needing to be reversed on the transmitter. My question is WHY do I have to have my channels reversed to get proper control when EVERYTHING is wired correctly?

Also, The ESC has a power switch, but the Receiver and Servo get power whenever the battery is plugged in regardless of the switch position on the ESC. I assume this is because of the BEC? Is this normal? and can I add a switch for this as well?

Last edited by tomvaillencourt; 07-10-2015 at 04:21 AM.
tomvaillencourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2015, 06:37 AM   #2

Default Re: Help with DX4s and FXR?

Did you follow the directions when calibrating the ESC? Some brands (I know HobbyWing is an example) require you to reverse the throttle channel on your transmitter before calibrating the ESC.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Did you follow the directions when calibrating the ESC? Some brands (I know HobbyWing is an example) require you to reverse the throttle channel on your transmitter before calibrating the ESC.
I followed a video tutorial published by Tekin. I actually tried to calibrate it with the channels reversed first and also with the channels normal first. each way the result was the throttle and steering would only act correct with the channels reversed on the transmitter. Funny thing is when I put the channels in the normal position before calibrating, it will only calibrate throttle when I push forward and will only calibrate the brake when I pull the trigger. I think its a transmitter or receiver issue. The ESC is behaving normally.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

set the ESC the way you want, and reverse the motor lead for the right rotation...
SilmarilS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilmarilS View Post
set the ESC the way you want, and reverse the motor lead for the right rotation...
The motor has to be set with no timing (0°) before you do this.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
After talking to both Horizon and Tekin that was what they suggested as well. Leave it with the Steering channel reversed but swap the leads to the motor.

On a side note, Iv'e been thinking about it and I think the reason for the motor turning the "wrong way" is because of the direction in which it is installed within the truck itself. In both my new builds the motors are positioned with the terminals forward and the pinion pointing rearward. This would result in turning the drivetrain in the opposite direction. I'll just make sure to reverse the poles on my second motor when wiring it up.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-11-2015, 11:11 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I've run the same radio/ESC combo on several rig over the past few years.

Your steering servo direction has no effect at all on the ESC calibration. the signal goes directly from the radio, to the receiver, to the servo. Nothing to consider there.

I wish I could assist you with the throttle calibration, but it seems there's either an invisible glitch in the system or something's been overlooked. I've driven myself crazy tearing things apart and reassembling for days trying to find the source of a problem, only to realize it was one of these two things. I had a similar issue, very briefly, a while back when I had the motor wires on my ESC reversed. My eyesight is kind of crappy and I got the tiny +/- symbols on the ESC confused. Very happy I didn't do it on the battery side!
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:12 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

They're talking about the throttle channel being reversed to calibrate the esc not steering. Also it's not the throttle calibration that's the issue it's that the Trans is spun, making it necessary to have reverse rotation compared to normal, like for a wraith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
I've run the same radio/ESC combo on several rig over the past few years.

Your steering servo direction has no effect at all on the ESC calibration. the signal goes directly from the radio, to the receiver, to the servo. Nothing to consider there.

I wish I could assist you with the throttle calibration, but it seems there's either an invisible glitch in the system or something's been overlooked. I've driven myself crazy tearing things apart and reassembling for days trying to find the source of a problem, only to realize it was one of these two things. I had a similar issue, very briefly, a while back when I had the motor wires on my ESC reversed. My eyesight is kind of crappy and I got the tiny +/- symbols on the ESC confused. Very happy I didn't do it on the battery side!
idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The motor has to be set with no timing (0°) before you do this.
Or reverse timing if the motor is run in reverse...

Some trucks need a reverse rotation motor, some normal rotation.
SilmarilS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:54 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho View Post
They're talking about the throttle channel being reversed to calibrate the esc not steering. Also it's not the throttle calibration that's the issue it's that the Trans is spun, making it necessary to have reverse rotation compared to normal, like for a wraith.
He did specifically address steering in a few spots. Thought I'd offer help on that.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:49 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Sorry I missed this comment... This was the correct solution for this issue.. Thanks for the input!

Help with DX4s and FXR? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin FXR and FXR-pro ESCs in stock JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 35 09-17-2009 09:40 PM