Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need some help with which is the best motor choice..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #1

Default Need some help with which is the best motor choice..

Hi everyone.

Here i am with a big question here: I am changing some parts of my Axial SCX10.

Now i have here:

MIP drive shafts;
Axial HD gears;
Axial AX10 steel CVD;

But my Honcho still have OEM combo: AE-2 esc and 27T brushed motor. But i want to change these parts.

So i choose the esc allready, it will be a Castle Sidewinder 3 but i don't know what is the best brushed motor?

1 - NOVAK TERRA CLAW;
2 - TEKIN HD or PRO;
3 - HOLMES HOBBIES.

I want to use something between 35T and 55T, i think 45T is the best ratio.

So, what is the best calling when we tlking about motors?

Thanks

Marcelo
MARCELO CAMPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Need some help with which is the best motor choice..

Run a few tekin motors not too bad but price wise for reliability and smoothness the crawlmaster 16t in my sons scx10 is a perfect motor imo and he also runs the sidewinder 3 esc hh offers replacement parts and awesome customer support.
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I've been very happy with my 35 turn Holmes Hobby motors on 3S.
TrailSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

35t torque master pro on 3s.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #5

Hi guys.

First i would like to thank you for the replies.

Well i am not a fan of 3S batteries. Here where i live it is very expensive. So i run with 2S battery.

So, after reading all the answers , I believe that common sense would be the engine of Holmes.

Well what Holmes motors will be a better choice to make?

1 - HH TORQUEMASTER EXPERT 540 / 35T;
2 - HH TORQUEMASTER EXPERT 540 / 40T;
3 - HH TORQUEMASTER PRO 540/40T.

Just remember that i will use Castle's ESC Sidewinder3...

Thanks again guys.

Marcelo
Old 08-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Best is all opinion. If we want to base it from opinion from our customer response, in sales and feedback:

CrawlMaster Expert 13t- very smooth, plenty of speed, very popular
CrawlMaster Pro 13t- the smoothest startup, even more speed, more torque, most popular handwound motor

TorqueMaster Expert 35t- most popular machine wound motor, more torque than CrawlMaster Expert, better startup than stock motor
TorqueMaster Pro 35t- Second most popular handwound. Very high torque, smooth startup.

My own opinion, CrawlMaster options are my personal favorite. I only run other brushed motors for testing, and go back to 13t or 11t CrawlMaster Pro.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Best is all opinion. If we want to base it from opinion from our customer response, in sales and feedback:

CrawlMaster Expert 13t- very smooth, plenty of speed, very popular
CrawlMaster Pro 13t- the smoothest startup, even more speed, more torque, most popular handwound motor

TorqueMaster Expert 35t- most popular machine wound motor, more torque than CrawlMaster Expert, better startup than stock motor
TorqueMaster Pro 35t- Second most popular handwound. Very high torque, smooth startup.

My own opinion, CrawlMaster options are my personal favorite. I only run other brushed motors for testing, and go back to 13t or 11t CrawlMaster Pro.

OMG, it's a honor to talk with you sir.

Well, my car is an Axial Honcho, originally equipped with a 27T motor and an ESC AE- 2 by Castle Creations.

So, lie i will use a Sidewinder 3, the limit of this esc is a 19T motors. And another thing is i don't like much speed in my crawler. I need a little more torq.

Said that i want to chnge the OEM motor by one more powerful with more torq like 35T or 40T max!

What do you suggest?

Thanks Marcelo
Old 08-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #8

Crawlmaster 13t is like a 27t, your esc is ok.

Torque does not necessarily go up with higher turn motors. The 27t Torquemaster and 13t crawlmaster have the most torque on 7.4v. Anything will be better than the stock motor.

If you don't want as much speed as stock, then 35t or 40t TOrquemaster or 20t crawlmaster.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well, you already mentioned it in the beginning. But first, personally i am not a huge fan of expensive motors. Due to my driving style. I like (strange habbit) driving through water and i've killed several motors that way. Also expensive ones. However, strangely enough i had the least problems with the Novak Terra Claw 35T, which is the cheapest on your list. It's endurance is fenomenal! For a photosession i had my SCX10 parked on the shoreline of the sea (salt water). It has been submerged several times, but has driven 60 miles since then. Way too much fun for € 15,-!

For the money it has been and still is the most reliable motor i ever ran and still do run. It has "pulled" my G6 over any obstacle i threw at it. Has been in mud, snow, several kinds of water. My No1!

I run them in a dual setup on the SCX10 rubicon, drive the sh.. out of them and it just keeps on going.
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Crawlmaster 13t is like a 27t, your esc is ok.

Torque does not necessarily go up with higher turn motors. The 27t Torquemaster and 13t crawlmaster have the most torque on 7.4v. Anything will be better than the stock motor.

If you don't want as much speed as stock, then 35t or 40t TOrquemaster or 20t crawlmaster.
Thanks Mr. Jonh. I don't like much speed in my crawler. So i've decided here. But any other sugestions are welcome...Thanks Mr John.

Marcelo
Old 08-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaFoDes View Post
Well, you already mentioned it in the beginning. But first, personally i am not a huge fan of expensive motors. Due to my driving style. I like (strange habbit) driving through water and i've killed several motors that way. Also expensive ones. However, strangely enough i had the least problems with the Novak Terra Claw 35T, which is the cheapest on your list. It's endurance is fenomenal! For a photosession i had my SCX10 parked on the shoreline of the sea (salt water). It has been submerged several times, but has driven 60 miles since then. Way too much fun for € 15,-!

For the money it has been and still is the most reliable motor i ever ran and still do run. It has "pulled" my G6 over any obstacle i threw at it. Has been in mud, snow, several kinds of water. My No1!

I run them in a dual setup on the SCX10 rubicon, drive the sh.. out of them and it just keeps on going.
Sealed can type motors do handle water better. Lack of brush tube , low power, and hard brush compounds make them a good choice for water and mud when power is of no concern.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCELO CAMPOS View Post
Thanks Mr. Jonh. I don't like much speed in my crawler. So i've decided here. But any other sugestions are welcome...Thanks Mr John.

Marcelo
You say you don't like wheel speed now, but im sure you will change your mind like everyone else, it does help in some situations so why not have it just in case? Get the 13t, which is basically a 27t and drop a few pinions to slow it down. Then later on when you want more, you will thank me later and can go up in pinion. Holmes knows his stuff over 95% of the people, so I would listen to him and give him your money.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #13

Hi guys...

Well, let me tell one thing; i really don't know why i will change a 27T (OEM motor) for a 13T if they are equivalent, with almost the same specifications.

Second, i am looking for a brushed motor, with less speed and more torq because my trails are very hard, with some mud and a lot of rock climbing.

I don't know why i will need more speed. I don't want to convert my SCX10 - Honcho in a rock racer like Wraith or Yetis.

I have a few more question here:

1 - can i use the OEM gears (pinion/spur gear) of my SCX10-Honcho?

2 - where can i buy the HH torquemaster expert 35T because at the Amain and Rpp this motor is OUT OF STOCK.

Thanks a lot.

Marcelo
Old 08-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Pro 13t
"Features
Hand-Wound Armature – Our pro-level armatures feature a 1-3 pattern hand-wound wind with specific wire sizes developed to take all that your high power electronics can dish out. We optimize copper fill for best power and torque. Wind termination is reinforced using high-temp silver alloys, with state of the art epoxy resin impregnated coils. All armatures are then dynamically balanced with epoxy and the commutator is diamond trued. All armatures are stamped with wind. One cannot build a finer or more precise armature!
Standup Brush and 7.5mm Comm- Maximizes power and motor longevity
Gold plated copper brush hood to resist corrosion and provide lowest resistance
5 slot armature- offers the finest low speed control and efficiency
Epoxy balancing for highest torque and efficiency
Can – 1.4mm thick can features minimal venting and two high-power FB12 magnets to maximize torque and efficiency
Dual Ball bearings
Adjustable timing
0.55mm extra Heavy springs for consistent drag brake
6.15 ounce finished weight with medium wire fill All Kv (rpm per volt) measurements taken at zero timing, no load, and 7 volts. Rock Racer speeds 11t- 2675Kv 13t- 2250Kv Rock Crawling speeds 16t- 1850Kv 20t- 1500Kv 28t- 1250kv Ordering details: For a standard motor, just select your wind and we will take care of the rest!tock"
Thats why
rpp does have the Torque master expert 30T in stock tho
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #15

Hi hi guys...

Well i made my choice here.

ESC CASTLE CREATIONS SIDEWINDER SV3;

HOLMES HOBBIES TORQUEMASTER 40T.

shoud i keep the OEM pinion gear and spur gear?

Thanks.

Marcelo
Old 08-20-2015, 07:03 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

You should order a couple different pinion sizes so you can tune for heat in the motor. I would also convert to 32p gears.
fish-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #17

Hi guys.

Well. For a while i will run with an OEM gears.

is there any problem if I run with the orginal gears (SCX-10 pinion and spur gear)?

Thanks Marcelo...

I have a 15T pinion here. Can i use it with the original spur gear of my SCX-10 Honcho?

Thanks

Marcelo
Old 08-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Sealed can type motors do handle water better. Lack of brush tube , low power, and hard brush compounds make them a good choice for water and mud when power is of no concern.
I wanted to agree with you. However i remembered that my Novak's (with all respect for HH) drive on 3S and lack of power is something i never noticed. I go out crawling twice a week (± 5miles) and treat my cars like i should have treated my former mother in law (not too kind that is). They also take my 9 pounds Rubi everywhere.
But, maybe someday is shipping from the US to europe isn't that extremely expensive i'll give HH's a try
Old 08-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCELO CAMPOS View Post
Hi guys.

Well. For a while i will run with an OEM gears.

is there any problem if I run with the orginal gears (SCX-10 pinion and spur gear)?

Thanks Marcelo...

I have a 15T pinion here. Can i use it with the original spur gear of my SCX-10 Honcho?

Thanks

Marcelo
Yes you can! You can run stock gears. However you might find your rig a little too fast for doing some decent crawling.
My SCx's are geared 15/87 with 35T motors. Drives just a little bit faster then i can walk.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

My Integy 45T lathe motor lasted for years on 2s and then a couple more years on 3S. On 3S the Traxxas Titan 21T 550 motors work very well and last a long time even without much maintenance, but they are kinda slow on 2s imo. I like 3s, but understand OP wants to stay with 2S, therefore I would go with the Novak sealed can 35T or any 35T lathe motor.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Need some help with which is the best motor choice.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor Choice Outfitter Arizona 0 02-28-2013 07:04 PM
Motor choice sandrocks Axial XR10 12 10-16-2012 08:15 PM
motor choice lifted_xj Axial SCX-10 14 05-03-2011 07:24 PM
motor choice dents101 HPI Wheely King 5 12-01-2010 05:15 AM
Motor choice Neutron Electronics 6 06-21-2010 08:00 PM