Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Best mid-level radio for a crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Best mid-level radio for a crawler?

You can find used Futaba 4PL's for a good price, I would pic up a 4PLS. I have been using Futaba for 30 some years now. If you want a glitchy radio buy a Spectrum. 700 something people at Axialfest this year and the people who had issues were Flysky and Spectrum people.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Airtronics mx v is a good choice ive got 2 of them use both daily with 6 receivers. Can be had for 75 Yes the receivers are 50 easy to bind also waterproof. They can control 10 models and 3 channel. Me and my son switch between all our rc no problems. I had 3 different flysky set ups always glitches loads of headaches. I'll be honest my brother has a hacked gt flysky never had any issues.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:48 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
You can find used Futaba 4PL's for a good price, I would pic up a 4PLS. I have been using Futaba for 30 some years now. If you want a glitchy radio buy a Spectrum. 700 something people at Axialfest this year and the people who had issues were Flysky and Spectrum people.
What is this glitching? Ive never had one issue with either of my spektrums? If they had such big issues then why would they be the radio system of manufacturers choice in so many on/off road vehicles aircraft and watercraft? Not trying to be a dick but seems like alot of people have one problem with their radio get rid of it and have never tried one again saying their garbage. Spektrums are updatable through an sd card slot. So how are these radios causing issues glitch could be anything from the display not working to not transmitting if your going to say a products no good explain the details so people know exactly what the issue,s are.
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Glitching happens when multiple people are running the same radio in the same area. Makes your vehicle stutter, jerk, stop, ect usually at the worst possible time. I watched multiple people having glitching issues w/ FS systems last sunday during a comp. 20yrs exp w/ Futaba not a single issue besides I lost the battery cover on my old AM pistol grip when I was 13.
FloridaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Ok so whats to say its going to affect the original poster? And whats to say if there were as many Futaba radios there they wouldnt glitch as well?
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I was a Axialfest also, I have a futaba radio, and I had zero problems with glitching with over
700 people running there rigs at the same time
BigBlokBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
Doesn't work with my heyok 3 pos. Regardless of what switch I assign. Works flawlessly on futaba
Something with your specific controller or setup then. Done it with multiple dx3c/dx4c's w/ heyok 3positions.
grimacium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:18 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

When I raced stadium trucks and buggies flysky was what I tried to use. Every week I had issues. At home with no one around no problem. So I switched to airtronics and never had another glitch at race day or comps etc.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
Dx4c offers very little adjustment when using its aux channels in 2 or 3 pos. It just won't work with a 3 pos winch control. Futaba may cost more, but offers up a lot of features.

Flyskys made all sorts of glitching at the last comp I went to. Annoying, felt relatively rtr compared to dx4c and above. I have no interest in the flyskys, and while it fits budgets I wouldn't ever recommend one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Have you used one, I have a 4pl and 2 hacked GT3b skyfly radios. The 4pl is setting on the shelf gathering dust. "Flyskys made all sorts of glitching at the last comp I went to." I think that is what you said, are you saying the skyfly was glitching or it caused other radios to glitch?
I would recommend these radios very highly. For the money a hacked gt3c is the best radio you can buy!
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemadness View Post
Ok so whats to say its going to affect the original poster? And whats to say if there were as many Futaba radios there they wouldnt glitch as well?
If you have FaceBook, read this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/939264866097861/ Scroll down a bit and you will see the radio thread.

Not one Futaba complaint. Like I said, 700 people and Spectrums and Flysky's (not so bad) were the radio's I saw glitching out. A bunch of my buddies had issues that I saw first hand. Mind you, this was only a few people telling of there experience at Axialfest. Expand that by 700+ people.

If I were to go with another system other than a Futaba, Airtronics MT4!

Futaba: 67 years experience.
Spectrum: Not quite.

Funny thing was most Axial RTR radio's didn't have to many issues.

Last edited by Norton; 08-18-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:25 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Norton I was at your event this weekend, DPC had a great time and my futaba had no glitching issues and worked flawless
BigBlokBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:27 PM   #32
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemadness View Post
Ive run a dx3c and a dx4s for the last 3 years now the 3 in a scx10 and the 4 in my tf2 lots of water and mud and have never had a glitching issue.
I'm not the one looking for a radio and those were just random examples of the complaints I've seen. Some of which were right here on these forums.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:07 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

I have had zero problems with Spektrum. I ran a DX4s at Axialfest and it was flawless. My dad also ran a DX3c there and it was great as well. The only problem he had was that some of the buttons stopped working after it was dropped; we rebound it and everything was back to normal.

On the other hand, my very first radio, a Futaba 3PRKA, had to be sent back to Futaba to fix some pretty bad glitching. If you turned the wheel all the way to the right, the steering re-centered, and the throttle went crazy. (Yes, I put a BEC in and that was not the problem...) Got it back from Futaba (under warranty), it ran fine for a month, then started back with the glitching. I would say that this was a fluke (maybe somehow user error, being a complete noob at the time), but I have since seen two other people have the exact same issue.

Also, we sell Spektrum DX2e's all day at the hobby shop I work at, and we haven't had any problems with them in my two years there.

Back to the OP's question: just pick a radio from either Futaba or Spektrum that fits your budget and functionality. Personally, for the price and functionality, a DX4c is the way to go...
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:16 AM   #34
RCC Addict

I'm not saying there not good radio's, I'm saying when your around a ton of people they have a tendency to interfere with each other.

Local crawling events with 30 or so people, I don't see issues.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:07 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I'm not saying there not good radio's, I'm saying when your around a ton of people they have a tendency to interfere with each other.

Local crawling events with 30 or so people, I don't see issues.
I think 400 radios is going to be an atypical situation. Even with ofdm tech the 2.4GHz band has physical bandwith limitations. Granted maybe fhss (futaba) is better at avoiding interference than dsss (spektrum), but it could also be a cause. Hate to be the guy to quote wiki's but why not.

Quote:
FHSS can, however, cause interference with adjacent DSSS systems.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freq...pread_spectrum
grimacium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:40 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

I think I'm just going to go for the Futaba 4PLS. Anyone know of any deals going on right now or the near future on radios?
Benbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Starting to look like this has turned into a debate on whether the FlySky radios are a quality product or not.

OP....I just went through this same delimna a couple weeks ago myself. Even have a thread up on here about it. In the end, I chose the Airtronics (Sanwa) MT-4 because of the features and the included telemetry. Not that you'd really ever need it unless you're racing, but it's nice to be able to look at your radio and see what temp your motor is running at or what RPM's it's turning. Two telemtry sensors are included with the radio when you buy it and I think with the rx's when you buy extras. Yes, the RX's are expensive @ about $100, but I think there are some Hobbyking ones that work with it, too, that are half the cost. The Futaba 4PLS does have telemetry functionality, but you have to buy the sensors separately @ $50-$60 ea.

Funny thing about the thread & poll I started on this when I bought my MT-4 is this:

More people voted for the 4PLS....but....of the 11-12 votes that came in for it, there were only 2-3 people that actually justified their vote with a post. I think there were either 7 or 8 votes for the MT-4, but almost everyone that voted for it justified their choice with a post explaining why. I don't know if there are just a lot of Futaba fanboys out there or what, but I found that sort of odd. Don't get me wrong....Futaba makes a great, reliable radio. Had one of their AM radios years ago and loved it.

I'm surprised it hasn't been advised yet, but do this:

Go to your local hobby shop and see if they'll let you hold a few different radios in your hand. Then choose the one that is above all else the most comfortable. And then make sure it has teh features you're looking for and fits your budget.

BTW: The Futaba 4PLS and Airtronics MT-4 both run about $220, but as has been mentioned, you can pick up an MT-4 from Tower right now for $180 with their current promotion.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #38
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
I don't know if there are just a lot of Futaba fanboys out there or what
That sentiment right there is why some people will simply vote and move on. Some would rather not bicker with Brand-Y "fanboys" if/when they infest a thread. This applies to any Brand-X vs. Brand-Y flame starter thread. Also, if the OP has already expressed his choice in his opening and subsequent posts, that will get you anonymous votes. And after reading your poll thread that's likely what happened.

You started a poll then chose to buy the loser of that poll. You've also tried twice now to "call-out" the Futaba voters to defend their decision to an Airtronics owner/fan, once in your poll thread and again right here with the added insult of "fanboys". These won't help with any future poll threads you may start.

Another important fact to consider, a fanboy is by no means subtle. They'll scream loud and proud and as often as possible to defend and support their pet products. They're usually not the kind of people who would click-to-vote anonymously.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
That sentiment right there is why some people will simply vote and move on. Some would rather not bicker with Brand-Y "fanboys" if/when they infest a thread. This applies to any Brand-X vs. Brand-Y flame starter thread. Also, if the OP has already expressed his choice in his opening and subsequent posts, that will get you anonymous votes. And after reading your poll thread that's likely what happened.

You started a poll then chose to buy the loser of that poll. You've also tried twice now to "call-out" the Futaba voters to defend their decision to an Airtronics owner/fan, once in your poll thread and again right here with the added insult of "fanboys". These won't help with any future poll threads you may start.

Another important fact to consider, a fanboy is by no means subtle. They'll scream loud and proud and as often as possible to defend and support their pet products. They're usually not the kind of people who would click-to-vote anonymously.
I never "called out" anyone, so much as I was merely asking what people were buying and why. I saw in the poll what people voted for, but didn't base my decision on the poll alone. I was more looking for feedback or rather someone to "sell" me on one or the other. And while yes, the poll showed more people chose Futaba, the actual responses I got leaned more toward the Airtronics. That information coupled with what I was actually getting for my money is what finalized my decision. Going into it, though, I really was neutral.

I'm not calling out Futaba owners here, either. Just found it odd that my poll/thread ended up the way it did. I have nothing against Futaba radios, as I know they are among some of the best on the market and have been for years. So I have no reason not to buy a Futaba product. Just in my case this time, the MT-4 seemed to fit the bill a little better for my application.

Now let's return this thread to the OP's original question rather than trying to figure out what happened in my thread and discredit my posts/polls in the future. I have absolutely nothing to gain no matter which direction the OP chooses to go here. He asked a question...I answered with as much information as I could....plain and simple.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbot View Post
I think I'm just going to go for the Futaba 4PLS. Anyone know of any deals going on right now or the near future on radios?
If its me i would have hunt for Airtronics, say Sanwa MT4
wajahebat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, transmitter, wraith

Best mid-level radio for a crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultra cheap, mid level machine wound, or nicer hand wound, worth it? mdchris Axial XR10 7 12-02-2011 07:39 PM
best entry level radio for ARTR scorpion? cybersniper Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 01-06-2009 05:12 PM
First Mid MO Crawler comp JohnRobHolmes Competitions 18 11-14-2005 10:00 PM