Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Best mid-level radio for a crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Best mid-level radio for a crawler?

I do feel it's worth mentioning....the Futaba 4PLS has a backlit screen. The Airtronics (Sanwa) MT-4 does not; however, there is a kit you can install to add it later on. Runs about $30 I believe. Food for thought.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #42
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Now let's return this thread
Maybe next time you could refrain from derailing it to begin with, just "bump" your poll thread next time you want to discuss your poll thread.

Last edited by Eric0424; 08-19-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Changed discus to the proper discuss
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #43
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbot View Post
I think I'm just going to go for the Futaba 4PLS. Anyone know of any deals going on right now or the near future on radios?
Tower Hobbies always has some coupon codes (01653 saves $20) you can use and right now the Futaba 4PLS ships free. If you spend $20 more when buying the radio you could use code 01654 to shave $30 off the total.

...and this may not make your decision any easier, but Graupner has a nice 4-channel for the same price and it also ships free. Both of which are eligible for Tower's Easy Pay plan as well.

TowerHobbies.com | Graupner X-8N 4-Channel HoTT System
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #44
Scale Detail Engineering

I started with Spektrum.
Gave it away for free the glitching was so bad.

Then I bought a Futaba 4PL and loved it.
Great radio, no glitching, nice menu and just feels like quality... but, not enough channels once you really get into scalers.
I still run it on a couple rigs but

Now I run most of my trucks on a hacked FlySky.
Doesn't have the same fit/finish as the Futaba and the menu is a bit wonky (IMHO)
but it's the best functioning radio for scalers and a lot cheaper.
I love it way more than the Futaba for 4ws and winching... you can not beat that momentary switch.
I have never experienced glitching with it.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I do feel it's worth mentioning....the Futaba 4PLS has a backlit screen. The Airtronics (Sanwa) MT-4 does not; however, there is a kit you can install to add it later on. Runs about $30 I believe. Food for thought.
So does both my GT3C.

I'm not saying the 4Pl isn't a good radio, because it is. What I'm saying is for the money a hacked GT3c is the best radio you can buy.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 08-19-2015 at 01:41 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
Maybe next time you could refrain from derailing it to begin with, just "bump" your poll thread next time you want to discus your poll thread.
You completely missed the point. What good does it do me to bump my poll thread? The poll is closed and my radio has been purchased. Besides...my initial post was completely in line with the original question. You're the one that decided to derail it by bashing my credibility based on your opinion of my poll.

If you want to continue to argue this with me....please....PM me. Let's not do it here where the OP was asking a legitimate question.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Also, you could go for Sanwa MT4S, with backlit screen from factory.
wajahebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:30 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
So does both my GT3C.

I'm not saying the 4Pl isn't a good radio, because it is. What I'm saying is for the money a hacked GT3c is the best radio you can buy.
Gt3b also a great radio.many people have hacked this model.but for me,its hard to get the discovery board at my place..sadly..

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk
black.parallax49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

4PL! 4PL! 4PL!
DX4C works but my switch assignments get lost sometimes
DX4S works good
But i loooooovvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee my 4PL you can adjust so much more
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

What would uall recommend to a guy that's never used anything but rtr but wants to upgrade for more channels

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk
Squirral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:39 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

Futaba make a good solid radio but their mid-level is 4 channels. The next surface radio Futaba offers is the 7PX which is very much high-end. A lot of rigs, mine included, suffer from owner caused feature creep.

First we add some lights, then a winch, then we want to see how a brushless motor works in our rig so we end up with Castle's aux wire which is great but takes up another channel and maybe we install a dig. Problem is we now need at least 6 channels. That's without all the bells and whistles we get with a TRX-4.

That makes the hacked Flysky systems look a lot better. You just need to change out the enter SMD switch and find a replacement steering return spring.

If you're thinking about adding more toy trucks to your fleet and choose the kit versions the high-end Futaba looks better as you can justify the cost spread over more trucks.

If you have steely willpower (and no TRX-4 in your future) you can get by with the 4 channel systems. I'm waiting on delivery of the 7PX and a couple of 8 channel receivers to replace my hacked GT-3C.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
brian.brigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

I've got a Futaba 3PV that I haven't used yet, though it was my first radio purchased for my first kit - ended up using a FlySky GT3C instead.

One of these days I might pick up a FlySky Noble - 8 channel firmware is out for it.

However, I might have to go for the Spektrum DX5 Rugged purely for the water resistance - my pet peeve is that more radios aren't weatherized.

If I am caught out in the rain, and my vehicle is at least somewhat waterproof - why the heck can't my radio be the same way?

It's annoying to have to call it a day because of weather - and I don't want to "bag" my radio to stay out and crawl, that's ridiculous.

Only problem is, I'm not a huge fan of Spektrum electronics.

Hurry up, FlySky - we need a 5 to 8 channel radio that stands up to the elements and doesn't cost an arm and a leg!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #53
Slow is the new Fast

I have a couple of Spektrum DX4c Transmitters. I really like them, but am not running a bunch of gadgets and do-dads. It gives me a channel for the aux port on the Mamba and another for lights. Best part is I can bind more rigs to one of them then I ever will( can’t remember exactly how many bind but I think it’s twennty something on one transmitter)

If I got another I would also likely get the DX5 rugged. All of these transmitters seem fragile to me
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirral View Post
What would uall recommend to a guy that's never used anything but rtr but wants to upgrade for more channels

FlySky FS-GT5

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
nzrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by black.parallax49 View Post
Gt3b also a great radio.many people have hacked this model.but for me,its hard to get the discovery board at my place..sadly..

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk
You don't need the discovery board, the cheap ST Link V2 from eBay or Bukalapak (42.000 rp + ongkir). See video link below. GT-3C is also available on Bukalapak 600 ribuan.

https://youtu.be/8oxODTOkecE

brian.brigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:08 PM   #56
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.brigg View Post
Futaba make a good solid radio but their mid-level is 4 channels. The next surface radio Futaba offers is the 7PX which is very much high-end. A lot of rigs, mine included, suffer from owner caused feature creep.

First we add some lights, then a winch, then we want to see how a brushless motor works in our rig so we end up with Castle's aux wire which is great but takes up another channel and maybe we install a dig. Problem is we now need at least 6 channels. That's without all the bells and whistles we get with a TRX-4.

That makes the hacked Flysky systems look a lot better. You just need to change out the enter SMD switch and find a replacement steering return spring.

If you're thinking about adding more toy trucks to your fleet and choose the kit versions the high-end Futaba looks better as you can justify the cost spread over more trucks.

If you have steely willpower (and no TRX-4 in your future) you can get by with the 4 channel systems. I'm waiting on delivery of the 7PX and a couple of 8 channel receivers to replace my hacked GT-3C.

Have three trucks at the moment but don't mind if not all binded to same transmitter. Don't plan on using much more than a light kit and winch. Have read that the fs-gt5 gets glitchy and the dx5 is over priced. Im not interested in real fancy just something reliable and that will control the two extra add ons.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

The dx5c is not terribly expensive imo and a good deal unless you plan on running dual esc's. Some of flysky radios are pretty inexpensive like the b and C modules but have a heafty enough following I would say they are worth the price as well but I don't own one.

If you want a simple 3ch people sell their kit tactic 3300 on eBay for as low as $20.

Edit, didn't realise this thread was 60 posts long and from 2015...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 11-16-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #58
Rock Stacker

No duel esc's as stated just lights and winch.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Well there is multiple dx5 radios and I didn't know which he meant was expensive. I just didn't want to tel him $150 is not expensive I don't know his situation. And I rember thinking 150 was a lot when I bought my first radio. But everything cheaper felt like a toy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #60
Rock Stacker

I meant that I had read they where over priced for what you get not expensive I don't mind paying a couple 100 for a good transmitter.

Tags
radio, transmitter, wraith

Best mid-level radio for a crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultra cheap, mid level machine wound, or nicer hand wound, worth it? mdchris Axial XR10 7 12-02-2011 07:39 PM
best entry level radio for ARTR scorpion? cybersniper Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 01-06-2009 05:12 PM
First Mid MO Crawler comp JohnRobHolmes Competitions 18 11-14-2005 10:00 PM