Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Best mid-level radio for a crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Best mid-level radio for a crawler?

I'm building a Wraith kit and I don't think my 15-year-old FM transmitter is going to cut it. What would you recommend for an entry to mid-level 3 or 4 channel radio? As this is my first RC in 12 years, I hardly need pro features, but would I be happy with a Spektrum DX4C or Futaba 3PL?
DX4C DSMR 4CH Tx w/SR410 (SPM4200W): Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology
FutabaŽ 3PL 2.4GHz FHSS 3-Channel Computer Radio
Are there other transmitters I should consider? What should I look for? I'm budget conscious, but don't mind spending a little more if the features are worth it.
Benbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Best mid-level radio for a crawler?

DX4C will work well with your crawler.
grimacium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
I joined the Band!

The 3PL is what I went with when I upgraded from the RtR short course remotes, I bought a second one for my crawlers. Although it's a 3-channel radio, it has an odd feature that allows you to use the included 4 channel receiver to implement 4-wheel steering and keep the third channel available for something else. It's got more features than I need but it's not overly complicated and it's Futaba quality. Also seems to be easier on the batteries than my other 2.4 and older FM and AM radios.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I suggest you get a hacked flysky. I ordered mine from overkillrc.com. I got the GT3C.
Sapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Futaba vs Spektrum--is one brand better than the other, or is this just a matter of personal preference?
Old 08-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Save yourself the worries of glitching and buy a Futaba. I use a 3PMX and my only complaint is the cost of the receivers but in the nearly two years I've used it with multiple crawlers I've never once had an issue.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

People around me had some glitching issues with Flysky. Personally: no experience. But i am very happy with my Radiolink RC4G. Bought it at Asiatees and i find it to be a very reliable radio for $65,-
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbot View Post
Futaba vs Spektrum--is one brand better than the other, or is this just a matter of personal preference?
I've read a lot of complaints on Spektrum (receiver incompatibility, unbinding issues, range issues), they're not all bad and knowing which receivers work with the new Spektrums helps, but I prefer the 20 years of 100% reliability I've gotten from Futaba.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

What's your budget?
Jeff@TireBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TireBalls View Post
What's your budget?
I would like to keep it under $200.

The Futaba 4PLS looks pretty nice with its real-time telemetry, but I really don't see what I would want those features for.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbot View Post
I would like to keep it under $200.

The Futaba 4PLS looks pretty nice with its real-time telemetry, but I really don't see what I would want those features for.
That's what I was going to recommend for that price. It's a great radio! I don't use the telemetry but it's nice to know that it can if I ever need it. I like the 4th channel as I run a winch and LED lights that I can turn on or off with the remote. It's been stone reliable for the 2 years that I've had it.

I have been thinking about adding a temp sensor to my high dollar brushless motor which would be nice to have.
Jeff@TireBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The Airtronics MT-4 fits into your budget ($180 from Tower after coupon) and is one of the best radios on the market. It has all the features you could ever use and rock solid signal reliability. Telemetry is nice for monitoring your motor temp and battery voltage just by looking at your radio.

The downside of all Airtronics radios is the receiver cost (but there are 2 waterproof versions available).
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

IMO the Futaba 4PL is very user friendly and very dependable probably the best value to function radio available. I've have two that have been heavily used and abused without any issues of any kind. Its just a solid performer and easy to use.

I also have a Spektrum DX3R for years its worked flawlessly as well but I'm not a fan of the function selector wheel its sloppy and just seems like a weak point. The pistol grip to trigger distance is way to large for comfort IMO and the receivers are also over priced unless you buy Hobbykings orange ones.

Good luck a radio is a very important piece of equipment you'll have for a long time so buy the best one you can afford they get better as the price goes up.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
I've read a lot of complaints on Spektrum (receiver incompatibility, unbinding issues, range issues), they're not all bad and knowing which receivers work with the new Spektrums helps, but I prefer the 20 years of 100% reliability I've gotten from Futaba.
Ive run a dx3c and a dx4s for the last 3 years now the 3 in a scx10 and the 4 in my tf2 lots of water and mud and have never had a glitching issue.
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Dx4c offers very little adjustment when using its aux channels in 2 or 3 pos. It just won't work with a 3 pos winch control. Futaba may cost more, but offers up a lot of features.

Flyskys made all sorts of glitching at the last comp I went to. Annoying, felt relatively rtr compared to dx4c and above. I have no interest in the flyskys, and while it fits budgets I wouldn't ever recommend one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:31 PM   #16
RCC Addict

+1 on the Airtronics MT-4. Fits my hand better than the Futaba. I've got 2. Great radios.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I love my 4PLS. I chose it over the Spektrum because I didn't really care for the click wheel thing.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
Dx4c offers very little adjustment when using its aux channels in 2 or 3 pos. It just won't work with a 3 pos winch control.
Might be missing some fine tuning but 3 pos mode works fine with the HeyOk winch controller.
grimacium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacium View Post
Might be missing some fine tuning but 3 pos mode works fine with the HeyOk winch controller.
Doesn't work with my heyok 3 pos. Regardless of what switch I assign. Works flawlessly on futaba
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:17 PM   #20

I've only ever used Futaba. You can pick up a 3pm for cheap.
oldbugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, transmitter, wraith

Best mid-level radio for a crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultra cheap, mid level machine wound, or nicer hand wound, worth it? mdchris Axial XR10 7 12-02-2011 07:39 PM
best entry level radio for ARTR scorpion? cybersniper Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 01-06-2009 05:12 PM
First Mid MO Crawler comp JohnRobHolmes Competitions 18 11-14-2005 10:00 PM