Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: RC4WD XR4 4-Channel 2.4Ghz Transmitter & Receiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default RC4WD XR4 4-Channel 2.4Ghz Transmitter & Receiver

I am thinking of picking one of these up, I just need any opinions on this or the flysky fs-gt3b
schmaged88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC4WD XR4 4-Channel 2.4Ghz Transmitter & Receiver

I would say the FlySky hacked from LosiKid.......cheap and lots of options.

Other choice is a Futaba 4PL. More of a decent mainstream radio.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I am not a serious competitor, just a weekend warrior $ is a factor
Old 12-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
RCC Addict

flysky, mines been going strong for over a year, with the hack kit its money well spent.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

for the money the hacked gt3b beats the xr4 hands down. ive been using my gt3b for over a year and have had it hacked since losikid first came out with the kit and use it on all but 2 rc's
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

What is the "hack"?? Any pics??
Old 12-23-2011, 05:21 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmaged88 View Post
What is the "hack"?? Any pics??
OverkillRC is LosiKids site..... Home - OverkillRC , the hack is changes to the TX as well as new TX firmware. Read the info in the link......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have 2 RC4WD XR4 and have had no trouble with them. Easy to set up and no glitches.
I also have a Futaba 3PM. A great radio. But if you have more than one car the Futaba receiver is $90. The receiver for the XR4 is $30.
I can't speak on the Fly Sky. But the XR4 is a good radio at a good price.

Last edited by drywallguy; 12-23-2011 at 04:47 PM.
drywallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
Defy Gravity

well, i highly enjoy my hacked gt3b, thing is about future proof with dual esc mixing, 4ws mixing, and i have the 8 channel version. rx's are 8 bucks a pop too, kinda a no brainer imo.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

You can't beat $8!!!
drywallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

GT3B!!!!

The XR4 is a joke now that the hack is available.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
www.team3sixrc.com

Not to be a jerk, but how is it all of you are pitching tents over the losikid flysky hacked version. And yet none of you have posted reviews or pics?

So just to be clear, im not bashing on losikid.
I have been intrested in checking out why this radio and hack is so great.
You would figure that showing off what your bragging would promote sales.

So lets see your review.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
Defy Gravity

well if you want a review:

first off, unboxing the radio, i'm greeted with nice Styrofoam packaging to keep everything in place. included in the box is an rx, antenna tube, bind plug, and computer connection cable to allow you to use the radio as an analog joystick, nice touch imo.

the radio itself has a great feel to it, this is subjective from person to person, but it feels natural in my hands. the buttons have a solid click to them, and even without bearings, the wheel is pretty smooth. the wheel is undersize from the spektrum's and i personally welcome it. i don't have too much dexterity left in my right hand, and gripping the spek wheels for long test and tune periods did get painful. also welcome to me is the rubber covering on the wheel instead of foam. i frequently go from fab to test drive, and the foam wheels get very grimy after a while. with the rubber, just wipe it down and done.

to the setup and program of the radio. this is very simple with just a skim of the online manual. binding is a standard affair, insert bind plug, power on rx, and while holding the bind button on the radio, turn it on. power off both, remove the bind plug from the rx, and then you're set on the next go. going into the menus, every button is map-able to what your preferences are, and there are mulitple mixes built in as well, more on those later. the button mapping (long hold on REV) is very nice once you get the hang of the acronyms, i have my dig setup on momentary, and is setup on the 3rd trim (3 in menu) and then on the d/r slider, i have a throttle expo. from there i have the steering speed and return setup on the steering and throttle trims respectivly. the lap counter i have set to the C switch in the menu, and that would be the handle button. i use this to count reverses, very handy. on the end button (E in menu) i have the reset for that.

there are dual esc dig and 4ws built into the radio (long hold on E. POINT), and its more than capable of running both at the same time. for a proof of concept, i ran 2 servos to test both of these. on one test, standard dual esc dig function, with an override to full dig on the grip button. 20% step or 1% step, it works wonderfully. did the same with the 4ws function, with the rear steering set to the 3rd slider, independant control is easy enough, an can also set a button to do a crab-no crab mix at an instant.

i have the 8 channel version and all channels have end points, and can be setup with a lighting circuit or what have you really, i'd have no problem running dig with 4ws at the same time, and being able to have a winch or 2 thrown into the mix is an option without touching the truck to switch circuits, or running a stick radio. granted some like the sticks, but they just weren't for me.
basically you're only limited by how many buttons you want to press.

my one gripe is that the radio has a big affect on wireless routers, i can't really play with mine and post, not a deal breaker, but it is a brute about getting it's bandwidth.

and 3six, you really did come off as a jerk, at least to me. you can call me biased being a team overkill driver if you want, but this is a good radio, and you can't beat it with a stick for the price. the extras that you can order are awesome (improved vr, lipo, bearings, up to 8 chan.) and losikid really does a great job on the prehacked kits, nothing even looks like it was touched on mine other than software. i personally do not have experience with the actual hack, as i said, mine was prehacked, but in the hacks tips and tricks thread, you could have found what you where looking for.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
www.team3sixrc.com

Well really im not intending to be one.

Look, I can get 500 buy this you won't be sorry comments. But that doesn't sell the product to me.
You being a team driver. It took for me to ask the question in order to get a review.

So thank you, im looking forward to more.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

+1 I really enjoyed reading your review, my only hold back is that I am kind of leery about peaking and tweaking something I have no idea of what I am doing
Old 12-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #16
Defy Gravity

3six, actually, you could have found that in my thread as well, and that was written about a week ago. i review every piece of equipment i get in my thread in the losi section, thats a trimmed back nice version of my review in thread. there's about a page of q&a following what is written, and that would have answered your questions as well. you could have saved face (twice now) by searching. in my thread i do a direct comparison write up between my old dx3e and the gt3b. the dx3e feels like a cheap toy compared to the overkill-gt3b. and at least in my opinion, the menus are easier to navigate than futaba, but that's another subjective thing, some love the futuba menus, they just didn't feel intuitive like the hacked gt3b after one skim of the manual. i can easily change servo direction or dial back endpoints without looking at the radio, same with trims and dual rate, and none of that is mapped to any button. i'm thinking that you just don't like losikid at all, and nothing will sway you to buy a quality affordable radio from him.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
www.team3sixrc.com

Look, im not trying to argue this with you. I have been asked to try this radio several times now. The reason I haven't is simple.
No feedback or Reviews on it to base anything on it.
OverkillRC does an excellent job pitching it. But no one who owns one has really done a review, pictures, demo, RC video. So now your telling me its in your losi thread. So tell me why is it I would go to your Losi thread to see a review on a radio from someone who is the first I ever heard of. Including if I have no reason to be in the Losi section??

I don't want you to take offence on this, but seriously bro. If this is a product you believe in, your an overkillRC driver, should you not take the time to pitch your sponsors product in a thread that matters to the product. i.e. (electronics, or your sponsors electronics vendors section)

Example: When I was testing my winch lines for competition Crawlers. I took the time to find 5 guys to review it and all I asked for was an honest review and video of each being tested hard.

Now you can go to youtube and see those tests anytime.
the guys who reviewed them made threads here.

Anyone can pitch line for a winch
But I wanted to show why my stuff was better than what they had. And my stuff isn't even for fishing purposes.

Losikid has a good game and seems pretty smart.
Now let's see the proof behind the pitch.

I hope you understand my point. But thanks for the review. I would love to hear others too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
3six, actually, you could have found that in my thread as well, and that was written about a week ago. i review every piece of equipment i get in my thread in the losi section, thats a trimmed back nice version of my review in thread. there's about a page of q&a following what is written, and that would have answered your questions as well. you could have saved face (twice now) by searching. in my thread i do a direct comparison write up between my old dx3e and the gt3b. the dx3e feels like a cheap toy compared to the overkill-gt3b. and at least in my opinion, the menus are easier to navigate than futaba, but that's another subjective thing, some love the futuba menus, they just didn't feel intuitive like the hacked gt3b after one skim of the manual. i can easily change servo direction or dial back endpoints without looking at the radio, same with trims and dual rate, and none of that is mapped to any button. i'm thinking that you just don't like losikid at all, and nothing will sway you to buy a quality affordable radio from him.

Last edited by team3six; 12-24-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #18
Got Worms?

Interesting little conversation going on here....

Norm, just because no one has actually posted a new thread called GT3B review, doesn't mean that they arn't posted. I've seen afew pop up in build threads, theres a few in my gt3b hack thread, there's a testomnial button on my website with afew, i think there's a afew quick reviews in the feedback section as well.

Since august when i first offered these, i've sold 33 radios and 96 hack kits if you want some numbers. and not a single complaint so far.

People wouldn't be "pitiching a tent" over the product if it didn't deserve it. and 90% of my customers are lurkers and newbs. So it doesn't surprise me there's not alot of reviews.

As for where pete posted his original review. He's only had it for a week or so...once he has a full grasp on the product i'm sure he'd post a good in depth review in the elec section.

I don't ask people for reviews because the best review is from someone who wanted to give a review about it, not someone who was asked for one and in exchange got a free product or discount or some sort of incentive...But just for you i'll look for some reviewers
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #19
www.team3sixrc.com

Im gonna send you a p.m. and see if I explain it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Interesting little conversation going on here....

Norm, just because no one has actually posted a new thread called GT3B review, doesn't mean that they arn't posted. I've seen afew pop up in build threads, theres a few in my gt3b hack thread, there's a testomnial button on my website with afew, i think there's a afew quick reviews in the feedback section as well.

Since august when i first offered these, i've sold 33 radios and 96 hack kits if you want some numbers. and not a single complaint so far.

People wouldn't be "pitiching a tent" over the product if it didn't deserve it. and 90% of my customers are lurkers and newbs. So it doesn't surprise me there's not alot of reviews.

As for where pete posted his original review. He's only had it for a week or so...once he has a full grasp on the product i'm sure he'd post a good in depth review in the elec section.

I don't ask people for reviews because the best review is from someone who wanted to give a review about it, not someone who was asked for one and in exchange got a free product or discount or some sort of incentive...But just for you i'll look for some reviewers
Old 12-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
Defy Gravity

simple fact is, you have an argument, losikid has a youtube video up of him using his, there are many people on this forum that would give you a review for the asking, which i did. and bringing up the team drivers thing, how many seat sales have you made because of your team drivers? or winch line sales, or sales of anything for that matter. i am not the only one pitching this radio either, you'll notice that there are more people in this thread that are confident enough to recommend it than me, and since i'm the only other overkill driver, why are they pitching it then? my job isn't to pitch overkillrc products, or even to go out to comps, you can ask losikid yourself on that, my job is to sit at a drawing board, make prototypes, and test and review any products that come my way. the fact that i am a team driver means about nothing with this argument, you'll notice that i do not comp. now you're borderline attacking losikid and myself, one of which is vendor bashing, the other is just plain trolling.

the reason that futaba is where its at can be directly contributed to harley and other team futaba drivers putting in r&d input and testing, you can't deny that one bit. still trying to figure out who pitched spektrum, probably just a racer holdover, because horizon has done very little to cater to crawlers at all.

norm, you make good products, you are not the only one on this board that does. accept that there are electronics vendors out there that have the same passion for crawling you do. losikid may not have written the code, but he was in the development process while it was being written. he bends over backwards to make sure his customers are happy, and believe me, most of them are. i don't know why you're being so stubborn about this, especially when a basic prehacked version is 45 bucks, you spend more on tires for one project i bet. the programming of this radio is very, very comprehensive to any crawling need, be it 2.2 comp, 1.9 comp, super, or very detailed scaler.

Last edited by ghtpdm5; 12-24-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: got a little heated.

RC4WD XR4 4-Channel 2.4Ghz Transmitter & Receiver - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venom VR3T 3-Channel "2.4Ghz" Transmitter & Receiver THE CRAWLER KING Newbie General 5 02-28-2010 10:22 AM
Rock Crawler 2.4Ghz 3-Channel Transmitter & Receiver Mudsy Electronics 2 02-15-2009 10:51 AM