Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Best way to handle 3s power for lights and servo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2015, 07:30 AM   #1

Question Best way to handle 3s power for lights and servo?

I would like to add lights to my wraith and switch from 2s to 3s batteries. I have an AE-5 axial esc, And a Solar D772 servo. I will be mounting the five bucket light bar and the light bucket set. Is there a way run the servo and lights off the battery?? if so what will i need to complete it?. Thank you for your time and help!!!
Bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Best way to handle 3s power for lights and servo?

The AE-5 does handle 3S, but it then kills it's BEC output, so my recommendation:

Buy a CC BEC (~$21)
Buy a HH Bypass (~$6)

Let the ESC power the receiver (keep red wire in the ESC to receiver plug), but the BEC power the Servo (Use HH Bypass) and the Lighting powered direct from the battery (I solder light wiring to the ESC side of the Deans plug myself).
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:02 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Get a cheaper BEC than the CC. No need to spend $21 when a <$5 BEC will do the same job just as well.
Throughout my R/C career I've been using this BEC everywhere where a BEC is needed (including to feed my crawler servo, Hitec HS-7954SH), and have had no problems.

The main practical difference between this BEC and the CC BEC is that this one can only be set to 5.0V or 6.0V out, while the CC BEC's output can be adjusted to any 0.1V value within a broader range. I never need that.
The 10A output limit of the CC BEC is way more than I've ever needed. 3A continuous and 5A peak is plenty for any application I can think of.

Last edited by Olle P; 09-29-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
Get a cheaper BEC than the CC. No need to spend $21 when a <$5 BEC will do the same job just as well.
Throughout my R/C career I've been using this BEC everywhere where a BEC is needed (including to feed my crawler servo, Hitec HS-7954SH), and have had no problems.

The main practical difference between this BEC and the CC BEC is that this one can only be set to 5.0V or 6.0V out, while the CC BEC's output can be adjusted to any 0.1V value within a broader range. I never need that.
The 10A output limit of the CC BEC is way more than I've ever needed. 3A continuous and 5A peak is plenty for any application I can think of.

Doesnt work to well if you have high voltage servos. Your 7954 can run at 7.4v and make more torque. Kind of shorting yourself only giving it 6.0v.
68_f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:40 AM   #5
RCC Addict

The 7954 is, by my experience, as strong as I ever need on 6.0V. The 20.6 kg-cm is plenty.

If I feed it more voltage it's more likely to break parts on the crawler rather than get me out of a tight spot. With this servo I've never encountered a situation where I've thought that more servo torque would solve the problem.
29.0 kg-cm (at 8.4V, as fed straight from a fully charged high capacity 2S LiPo) is just silly to use for my rig.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:53 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

What you want isn't what others want. I've run over 6v for years now, before servos were rated to run that high.

3A isn't enough IMO to power a high end servo. and of course I need more than 6v output.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:37 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I run the Hitech 7954sh in my yeti with a cc bec I run it at 7.0 volts plenty of power works great never had a issue ( thanks Ninja Turtle).
BigBlokBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
... 3A isn't enough IMO to power a high end servo. ...
Even high end servos draw much less, typically <0.5A, most of the time. More than 3A is required only for shorter periods, and my BEC has a peak rating of 5A which does cover that.
(When I've measured the current consumption on the 7954 it's still stayed very close to 3A at stall torque though.)
Old 10-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #9

Ok guys thank you for the help I have ordered a couple of the HH by pass wires (one for a friend) and bought a cc bec. I will also wire in for my lights but lack knowledge on the best set up. Can I wire it in with a switch? Or what do i use to wire in on the esc side? Thanks again
Bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
RCC Addict

If you have a 3 channel radio get a HeyOk light controller! You can do everything from your radio.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote

Best way to handle 3s power for lights and servo? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how does the stock rear axle handle power? Hayden RC Axial Wraith 11 12-29-2014 05:22 PM
How much power can a brushed motor handle? LEADFOOT82 Electronics 1 01-06-2013 08:28 PM
So, what kind of power will a wraith axle handle? Slowkrawl Axial Wraith 11 10-08-2012 11:27 PM
How Much Power Can TLT's Handle? crazyorigin General Crawlers 0 12-04-2009 07:08 PM
how much power can a pede really handle?? slobin3d Non Crawler RC's 9 02-19-2007 10:26 AM