Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #281
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

I think about the Losi 5t owners with their $400+ 1100oz/in+ servos.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2016, 09:01 PM   #282
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I think about the Losi 5t owners with their $400+ 1100oz/in+ servos.
I want to see a scale nerd mount that in a CMS setup.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:12 AM   #283
Rock Crawler

Ability to hook up directly to a 3S would be cool. Eliminate 1 more piece of electronics.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:41 AM   #284
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Good job for taking that down, he mentioned twice not to share the info. Lol.

Anyways, make that 600oz servo happen!

That was the other things.....

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #285

Would the current V4 fit the CMS location of the scx10 II?
macdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #286
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdon View Post
I believe so. This servo is longer but the rest is stock standard. So it would just stick up a bit higher.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #287
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdon View Post
Yes, but approximately 2mm spacers are required under the mounting ears to raise the servo up so that the suspension doesn't bind with the steering linkage.

bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:03 AM   #288
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
Hi folks,

You guys have been talking about one of my products. How's it holding up?

Here, or in private (info AT promodeler DOT com) let me know what you think - good, bad, or indifferent. Naturally, when a customer has a bad experience we freak out (and it becomes our top priority), but good experiences inform us also. And no detail is too minor. Of course we'd like you to tell us how it's performing for you. But we're also interested in the little things like . . . did you approve of how we package it? Could we do 'anything' better? Also, did your order arrive in the time expected? Or did we drop the ball somehow? And is a competitor doing something better than we are? What about the information on the website; is this up to snuff? Anyway, now's your chance to tell me because I'm not afraid of your opinion - even in public!
Thanks for your dedication to the community and putting it all out there ! I previously purchased 390$ worth of Hitec 7950TH..Long story short.. after 2 months 25 runs the lower seal blows out and short circuits from moisture infiltration.. HT service said "send it in its covered under the 2 year warrantee ..no issues" well the email 5 days later consisted of a 80$ bill... They wouldn't meet me half way at 40$... So I figured I'd give you a try!I just ordered 2 420v4 for my Yeti XLX 4ws. They will be featured in my build series Thanks again
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:20 AM   #289
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Wait, so one of these servo's failed due to water intrusion, which the manufacturer has warned us could happen...

And they are replacing it under warranty anyway? That seems to good to be true.

I'll be filling mine with grease before playing submarine.
Today I found out from John Beech that there's a good reason he warrantied mine for the water intrusion back in December - it gave him the opportunity to tear it down to see what went wrong. They don't get many of these servos returned and the postmortem also revealed the cause of excess backlash which resulted in the brass inserts for the v4. Would any other servo manufacturer done this kind of root-cause analysis? Aside from Holmes, I highly doubt it.

I've known for a while now that this is an awesome servo and this little scenario blew me away. I hope John's shop is up to the task because I have a feeling the S420v4 is going to get real popular.

Here's the relevant excerpt from the S420 revision history:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beech on audacitymodels.com
S420v4 - by mid-2015 pilot reports of excessive backlash resurfaced. However, this time the hobber reported gear-wear well within spec. Hmmm, we're baffled because the bore centers are correct and if the gear wear is within spec, why are we getting excess backlash? The critical clue came when a crawler owner returned his S420v3 for potentiometer repair due to water intrusion. This presented an opportunity to disassemble and measure a servo we knew had suffered accelerated wear (rocks are harder than air). We're shocked to realize the bores (where the steel gear shafts fit in the aluminum top case) are loose, and not because of manufacturing-error but because under extreme stress, the aluminum itself deforms. It basically becomes pear shaped under the extreme pressure exerted by the steel gear-shafts! In turn, this allows the gear shafts to wobble - end result is excess backlash - who'd a thunk? Especially because the other guys choose instead to fit their gears really tightly (and simply offer replacement gears for sale when they wear in too much). Fortunately, we had an easy fix; this one merely involving a brass insert thus creating a hard point for reinforcement (just like we do for our plastic servo cases). Nobody else in the world does this - who wants the over on how long it takes Oriental manufacturers to copy us? Anyway, after a minor case redesign (for the larger boss to accept the hard points) plus slight reprogramming of the CNC mill, we began making our now super duty case and re-released our flagship - this time as the S420v4. That was early June 2016 . . . and so far, so good - yipee!
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #290
Rock Crawler

I received some more info from John, specifically regarding the torque of these servos. To make a long story short, there was a slight misalignment during prototype testing and the advertised torque of 420oz-in is not exactly correct. All 50 of the first batch of servos tested at 450-460 oz-in on 7.4v. Re-testing of the protoype revealed the alignment error and it produced the same 450-460 oz-in of torque. These servos are also fine to run on 8.4v where they will output 470-480 oz-in of torque. At this time John doesn't feel the need to update the torque numbers on the packaging but it's reassuring to know that we're getting the advertised power, and then some.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #291
Quarry Creeper

You just can't get a better servo for the money

What really sells me is the customer service. I like the personal touch. I may never need the CS but its nice to know that somebody cares at the other end.

As long as I still have a need for a servo ... John has my business
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #292
RCC Addict

Put mine to the test this weekend & it seemed really nice actually with maybe a lil less grunt than a 7950 but still a great servo & i will run these in the future!
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:26 PM   #293
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
I received some more info from John, specifically regarding the torque of these servos. To make a long story short, there was a slight misalignment during prototype testing and the advertised torque of 420oz-in is not exactly correct. All 50 of the first batch of servos tested at 450-460 oz-in on 7.4v. Re-testing of the protoype revealed the alignment error and it produced the same 450-460 oz-in of torque. These servos are also fine to run on 8.4v where they will output 470-480 oz-in of torque. At this time John doesn't feel the need to update the torque numbers on the packaging but it's reassuring to know that we're getting the advertised power, and then some.
Still waiting for a S74600BLHV to come out from him. Lol And of course puts out 650oz at 8.4v.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #294
Quarry Creeper

I've ordered one for my bomber. I to would pay the extra for 600oz for my gas race boat,it would save weight and money over the 1/4 scale servos that are less powerful and have to be replaced every season. 80+ mom puts a hurting on servos and it would be a real test for one of these.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:58 AM   #295
Pebble Pounder

I had my scx out over the weekend and the servo performed flawlessly, as it has since I purchased it. This post though, is not about the servo. I received a padded envelope taped completely shut with heavy packing tape and thought what is this? I opened it to see a trifecta of packaging around a peppermint candy! This might be the silliest thing I've received in the mail but it really shows how awesome John and Lynn are. #WhenItsMoreThanAHobby #NoAnts
redneckracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #296
I wanna be Dave

Crawler innovations sends bubble gum with his foams.

Not sure if I'm the only person who doesn't eat it, it's like getting candy from a stranger.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #297
I wanna be Dave

Candy and gum is nice but I swear dlux sprinkles a bit of crack in the package because every time I open a package from him I can't wait to order again.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #298
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Candy and gum is nice but I swear dlux sprinkles a bit of crack in the package because every time I open a package from him I can't wait to order again.
Sounds like I got the same problem!!!
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:31 PM   #299
RCC Addict

CI Gum: Side effects may include obsession over foam and foam types. Call your doctor if urge to take a dremel to your tires lasts longer than 4 hours.

Otherwise, I'm finally caving in...my stock SCX10 servo died and these things are cheaper than the Xpert servos I've been using, so I think it's time to finally give my truck the steering it deserves.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #300
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
I spoke with John today to ask what voltage to set a BEC at for maximum safe performance from the servo. I asked him about setting it to 8.4 volts, but he recommended 7.4 volts. Interestingly, he also recommended running it off of a small separate 2S lipo over using a BEC (I'm running 3S otherwise).
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Billet Motorola Droid Razr Case JFAB Vendors Miscellaneous 2 01-14-2013 08:24 PM
Angry Apple Ipod billet case motoworx Vendors Miscellaneous 31 08-15-2012 06:12 PM
metal gears , billet case , coreless motor servo CHEAP BL-4x4 Electronics 2 01-04-2012 09:21 PM