Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 07:01 PM   #641
ROCK STOP HOBBIES

Default Re: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

WT, your inner sidewall is separating from the main tread. glue it when you got a sec.

Everybody else, carry on.

Jk. These are crawlers. A hey ok no brainer bec works just fine for servos. You can actually adjust the output voltage to the servo. Also, I've never had a castle bec fail.

Even on planes, I have never heard of using a separate battery to power the servos from the esc's.. Ihave a pop wing that has only 1 spot for a battery.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #642
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
WT, your inner sidewall is separating from the main tread. glue it when you got a sec.

Already fixed, there were a handful of spots coming apart. Prepping the rig for a comp Saturday so all the tires got a once over.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #643

Default ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
OK, strap a WATT meter to your rig temporary like and go for a crawl. See what the voltage did. And airplane bubble or not, we still come back to the central question, why on Earth do you want a variable voltage supply for your controls? Don't you understand that means variable output from the servo - any servo. What's the fetish of using one pack instead of isolating the pack for control from the pack used for propulsion? A battery costs like $15-20 bucks and supplies the best juice money can buy. Or buy a BEC for more than that and it supplies garbage. I mean I grok why you use a BEC with a toy truck and a child because responsibility for managing two packs may be a bit much, but you guys are men and you definitely aren't running toy trucks. BECs exist for one reason, saving the manufacturer money. They have zero to do with performance. Zip. And variable voltage is nuts for every conceivable reason. It means your servo reacts differently as voltage changes. Why would you desire this? I really, really am perplexed why you'd want inferior performance after spending a lot for superior capability. It's like taking a world class sprinter and forcing him to run whilst carrying a 100lb sack of corn when competing with others not encumbered, e.g. handicapping him. Variable voltage handicaps the servo. Any servo, not just mine. But I remain with an open mind for a performance reason for doing this. What is the reason, having to do with performance, for wanting to operate your controls off a variable voltage source? I mean we bust a nut trying to extract the most possible performance from all the components and package them into our servo and some of you are basically telling me performance isn't important? Now I am really confused. Have you ever looked at the specs chart for our servos. We publish torque and speed for several voltages ranging from 4.8 through 8.4VDC and they mimic that of any other servo on the market. Less voltage means reduced torque output and increased transit time - weaker and slower . . . and this is a good thing?!? Note; this is true for every single servo on the planet. So when the propulsion pack voltage varies, the amount of torque you have available from your servo varies - and - the steering response is slower. Just for a moment imagine driving to work where your cars has less power steering sometimes and more power steering at other times. You'd take it to the dealer to have it repaired! Or perhaps driving it when the brakes are easy to operate sometimes and very hard to operate at other times. This would make for a very difficult car to operate. Same thing with these rigs when the voltage to the servos is varying based on the demand being placed on the battery pack by the propulsion motor. Reflect back on how throttle is applied to your rig. Is it a smooth application of power, or are you on and off the throttle constantly as you find a line and work your way up or down the course? Every time you vary throttle, not to 100% just varying it a little bit means the voltage is varying. Yet we design controls for the most steady source possible so that you get a consistent result. I keep seeking analogies. Imagine riding a bicycle with rubber handle bars so that as you apply torque to steer the bars bend and thus, you can't ever predict what the front wheels will do. That's in effect what some of you are saying you want, variable results.

Lots of words, no data....maybe someone should set up an experiment with a crawler with meters on everything in different configurations to resolve this debate....BTY, I love my Promodeler servos and I run them off castle BECís

Last edited by Discohair; 06-13-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Discohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #644
Pebble Pounder

For me it isn't that I don't want the best performance. For most of my rigs space is limited and trying to find room for another lipo vs tucking a smaller castle 10amp bec is a lot easier. Or even with some of the newer esc with high amp outputs I can even eliminate the external bec. These setups give me more then satisfactory performance, so in the few models I have that I could put a extra pack in I don't because it works good enough for what I do with it.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #645
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druxus View Post
For me it isn't that I don't want the best performance. For most of my rigs space is limited and trying to find room for another lipo vs tucking a smaller castle 10amp bec is a lot easier. Or even with some of the newer esc with high amp outputs I can even eliminate the external bec. These setups give me more then satisfactory performance, so in the few models I have that I could put a extra pack in I don't because it works good enough for what I do with it.
This is pretty much the answer. The BEC is very small and can be stuck somewhere on the truck more easily than a 1000mAh 2s battery most times. Outside of what the servo sees power wise I also doubt many will notice the difference.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote

ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Billet Motorola Droid Razr Case JFAB Vendors Miscellaneous 2 01-14-2013 08:24 PM
Angry Apple Ipod billet case motoworx Vendors Miscellaneous 31 08-15-2012 06:12 PM
metal gears , billet case , coreless motor servo CHEAP BL-4x4 Electronics 2 01-04-2012 09:21 PM