Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #701

Default Re: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

He's so adamant about clean power that it makes me wonder if his servos have problems with noisy power. I've never seen anybody so bent on running directly from battery power instead of through a high quality BEC. Most people would prefer to run off their main battery via BEC because there's less voltage sag on a larger battery, but John insists that his servos need a dedicated battery, or at least a direct feed from the main (2S) battery. It makes me wonder if his servos won't tolerate noisy power like, well, everybody elses do.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2020, 11:19 AM   #702
I wanna be Dave

Default ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

John is a pilot, and thinks airplanes.
I’ve about died with this threads responses...... But being a long time reader, not unexpected. Jato usually comes off as an ass, But usually has a good point. I know John will test any servo if you spend 4.00 to mail it in.

I’ve always seen the High Voltage servos as needing High Voltage, which starts at 7.4v

I’m not an electronics expert, but I do see a huge difference amp draw at higher voltages, and little torque change. I still run 2, one on the 2.2 Bully(light!) and the other on my VS4, and I turned it down to 7.4 as I wanted slower turning response , as the 4.65 tires are easy on the trails

I will add I did stall out both a PM420 and a Holmes V2, on my 11# Wraith, which has a 2290 and works flawlessly at 8.4v
Yes I always use a bec and a Holmes RX bypass.

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 01-03-2020 at 11:22 AM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #703
I wanna be Dave

Default ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
If you want to get a more appropriate response you email him saying you think there may be an issue with the servo because it is obviously lacking power compared to its stated numbers. Not that his product is garbage.

Last year I did just that, I told him I think I got a dud as it was stalling too easily. Sent it back and they tested it and it passed all of their tests , great but it failed the test of working in a real world application.

I think the most frustrating thing is that these have the potential to be really good servos but they're let down by some sort of bind relief or some sort of safety thats cutting the power to these servo's. Give us a crawler servo with no safeties please!

Here's a short video that I took of the issue and never posted out of respect. This is the 470 run straight off a fully charged 2S battery (which gave me the same results as running off a "garbage" BEC signal)

https://youtu.be/h2WkfUNLOCQ

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-03-2020 at 11:51 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #704
Gold Star Baby!

@humboldt wow I’m surprised that stalled it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I’ve always seen the High Voltage servos as needing High Voltage, which starts at 7.4v
That’s a fine assumption but if the servo can’t function properly off 6V then it shouldn’t even be advertised as such, remove the 6v specs from the page entirely and Jato likely would have never tried it since it didn’t fit his application’s design of a 6v system.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 01-03-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #705

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I backup Jato's claims. It was struggling to turn the tires, and blacking out. If it says 415 ounces at 6 volts it should deliver that. It was nowhere close, looked to me like something was wrong with it, didnt look like a brownout situation per-se. Even so, there's quite a gap between delivering 400+ ounces of power and struggling to turn the tires. Either it runs on 6v or it doesn't.

In any case, I agree the initial wording of your question was a little on the grating side, but if you're a salesperson or business owner you have to suck that up. You simply cannot fly off the handle at your customers. That is utterly unacceptable.
Thanks for posting what you saw and backing up my claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
He's so adamant about clean power that it makes me wonder if his servos have problems with noisy power. I've never seen anybody so bent on running directly from battery power instead of through a high quality BEC. Most people would prefer to run off their main battery via BEC because there's less voltage sag on a larger battery, but John insists that his servos need a dedicated battery, or at least a direct feed from the main (2S) battery. It makes me wonder if his servos won't tolerate noisy power like, well, everybody elses do.
Exactly. Almost like his design is flawed.

Quote:
John is a pilot, and thinks airplanes.
I’ve about died with this threads responses...... But being a long time reader, not unexpected. Jato usually comes off as an ass, But usually has a good point. I know John will test any servo if you spend 4.00 to mail it in.

I’m not an electronics expert, but I do see a huge difference amp draw at higher voltages, and little torque change. I still run 2, one on the 2.2 Bully(light!) and the other on my VS4, and I turned it down to 7.4 as I wanted slower turning response , as the 4.65 tires are easy on the trails

I will add I did stall out both a PM420 and a Holmes V2, on my 11# Wraith, which has a 2290 and works flawlessly at 8.4v
Yes I always use a bec and a Holmes RX bypass.
I don't care how he thinks. I care how he acts towards me. Even if I was terse (which was completely unintentional, but I can see how he took it that way) it doesn't justify his outrageous and unprofessional response. I think everybody so far, except maybe you, agrees with that. I'm not sure why you "died" in regards to the responses. I know you're a big fan of him and his servos and not a fan of mine, but none of the responses here were what I'd call out of line.

If it only runs at 7.4V that's fine, but state it on the page and don't give specs for lesser voltage. He claims it gets 415 oz-in at 6.0V. That would be plenty for me if, indeed, it put out that much power. It doesn't. At 6.0V it's worse than a $25 servo from China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Last year I did just that, I told him I think I got a dud as it was stalling too easily. Sent it back and they tested it and it passed all of their tests , great but it failed the test of working in a real world application.

I think the most frustrating thing is that these have the potential to be really good servos but they're let down by some sort of bind relief or some sort of safety thats cutting the power to these servo's. Give us a crawler servo with no safeties please!

Here's a short video that I took of the issue and never posted out of respect. This is the 470 run straight off a fully charged 2S battery (which gave me the same results as running off a "garbage" BEC signal)
That's exactly how mine acts. It's pathetic. And he claimed that was normal?

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 01-03-2020 at 12:07 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #706
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

That's exactly how mine acts. It's pathetic. And he claimed that was normal?
Not explicitly, he just tested the servo and said it passed.

To be fair those were giant tires but I just find it unacceptable that in some instances it doesn't even try to turn at all.

EDIT: I gave my Brother one of the 470's at the same time and he was also let down by the stalling but didn't want to send it in to get tested.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-03-2020 at 12:11 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:13 PM   #707

Quote:
Not explicitly, he just tested the servo and said it passed.

To be fair those were giant tires but I just find it unacceptable that in some instances it doesn't even try to turn at all.

EDIT: I gave my Brother one of the 470's at the same time and he was also let down by the stalling but didn't want to send it in to get tested.
Crazy that that is passable.

Mine does similar stuff with 4.75" tires on a fairly light TRX-4. I'll have to try to remember to get video.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #708
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I wasn't driving the truck, but that looks to be exactly what Jato's servo was doing.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #709
I wanna be Dave

I guess I’m stupid then, I better get it out of my VS4...... and it’s three years old, run off a castle bec.

I could of written down easily half of this thread without reading and would be spot on.
I call shit shit, YOU don’t. You whine about most things.
You missed the part about how this works. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #710

Quote:
I guess I’m stupid then, I better get it out of my VS4...... and it’s three years old, run off a castle bec.

I could of written down easily half of this thread without reading and would be spot on.
I call shit shit, YOU don’t. You whine about most things.
You missed the part about how this works. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Hang up and Drive
Can you ever just have an adult conversation without the personal attacks?

I make valid complaints like I did in this case.

Also, I did better than reading this thread. I read the specs on the manufacturer's website. Apparently they mean absolutely nothing.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:15 PM   #711
RCC Addict

So I was planning to run this servo in my VS4 Pro up until I read this thread, if it does work good and only some people are having problems I don't wanna be one of the people having a problem, main reason being is the customer service that Jato has spoken about, Jato comes off crude but I really don't think he means to, it's kinda like text messages, sometimes they come off as rude but they weren't meant to be, some people just put it out there with no intentions. These forums are dying with everything moving to Facebook do we really need to argue, I mean really?

With that said most of my crawlers I mostly run the cheap DS3218 servos but I wanna run a good quality one in my VS4 Pro so since this servo is now out of the running what's a good alternative?
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #712
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Can you ever just have an adult conversation without the personal attacks?

I make valid complaints like I did in this case.

Also, I did better than reading this thread. I read the specs on the manufacturer's website. Apparently they mean absolutely nothing.
Attacks? BS buddy, reread....."I call shit shit, YOU don’t. You whine about most things.
You missed the part about how this works. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!"

I didn't miss any of your personal attacks on JB ( he's probably read most of your comments, or your dislike for this product and vendor. I've dealt with JB as a Adult, and found his service equal to the best, and again 3 years on a castle bec.
on my 2.2 bully

You rip a vendor on a normal basis......Not name calling but facts.

You come off as a cheap dimwit, which I know your not.

Internet Warrior??

ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Billet Motorola Droid Razr Case JFAB Vendors Miscellaneous 2 01-14-2013 08:24 PM
Angry Apple Ipod billet case motoworx Vendors Miscellaneous 31 08-15-2012 06:12 PM
metal gears , billet case , coreless motor servo CHEAP BL-4x4 Electronics 2 01-04-2012 09:21 PM