Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #121
Rock Crawler

Default Re: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

I'm with j slick on this one I didn't know servo were even made that weren't programable so I didn't bother to ask. it's mocked up on my sporty and doesn't appear to be an issue but it just barely works for my application.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Constant Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #122
Quarry Creeper

i bought several of these only using 2 so far one has been beat on and is awsome the other i just put in a new mantis build and it's getting hot quickly... with in a few minutes. not saying servo's fault as i'm new to rc and learning. i'm running 3s with a cc bec set at 7.0 and a rc4wd electric dig (which burnt up 2 esc till i added the bec and still doesnt work right sometimes it wont work till i unplug and replug battery?? any ideas? back to the servo it gets hot and starts acting weak with in 5 minutes of crawling on rocks and foam. however you cant hear anything from servo there super quiet and the other day my dsx4s lost its spring or what ever automatically centers steering wheel so it does not recenter just stays whereever its at.... is it possible servo is very quietly and with no glitching or twitching be trying to center itself and thus overheating? or any other ideas?

thanks
james
jamesthe1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #123
Rock Crawler

Reliability update - 39 days into my testing and there's trouble in paradise! I took my Wraith out for a crawl this morning and after about 30 minutes the servo started acting up. It would occasionally stick at various positions and wouldn't return to center unless the wheels were given a bump. Once I got it back on the bench it was obvious the pot was the culprit, probably due to moisture which was also present inside the servo case. Despite my best efforts to get it dried out, I have been unable to resolve the issue. I sent an email to John for assistance so we'll see how that turns out.

As a side note - I usually waterproof my servos with Super Lube but did not with this one on account of it having o-rings on the screws, case, and main shaft and conformal coating on the pcb. Plus I wanted to see just how well it would hold up without additional waterproofing. I guess that question has been answered!
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #124
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthe1v View Post
is it possible servo is very quietly and with no glitching or twitching be trying to center itself and thus overheating? or any other ideas?

thanks
james
I'm thinking it may be that the servo is "working" constantly trying to hold the wheels in whatever position you had them in last. Just a thought I don't really know.
FloridaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #125
Quarry Creeper

Still running great in my sons Wraith w/ Vanquish Ti Steering and Vanquish Steering Knuckles, BEC @ 7.4v, this servo is a beast!
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #126
Quarry Creeper

James,

Have you checked if both of your front wheels are parallel to each other? If not, adjust rod ends to get them parallel.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:14 AM   #127
Quarry Creeper

front wheels seem to be fine and if i leaveit sit on bench with wheels all way left or right or halfway either way its fine for 10-15 min but as soon as i start working them back and forth while driving with in a few min gets hot and quits and sticks then works then gets hot and quits and i stop.
will have to find johns number again and see.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #128
Quarry Creeper

Vague guess.....seems like mosfet issue. Mosfets overheat when they are not fully drained, allowing current to pass when it should not.

Since you have purchased more than one servo, try changing the servo to see if problem persist.

I think this should be an issue with the said servo only.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #129
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthe1v View Post
front wheels seem to be fine and if i leaveit sit on bench with wheels all way left or right or halfway either way its fine for 10-15 min but as soon as i start working them back and forth while driving with in a few min gets hot and quits and sticks then works then gets hot and quits and i stop.
will have to find johns number again and see.
So you leave the servo holding the wheels at full lock for 10-15 mins? That means the servo is hsving to work that whole time. I suspect that is causing your issues. Fix the controller so it auto centres and see how it goes. I wouldn't use another servo incase that's killing them.
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #130
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by honchojoe View Post
So you leave the servo holding the wheels at full lock for 10-15 mins? That means the servo is hsving to work that whole time. I suspect that is causing your issues. Fix the controller so it auto centres and see how it goes. I wouldn't use another servo incase that's killing them.

servo didnt get warm at all or make a sound when sitting at full turn.
but i played with dx4s and went to servo speed... all were at 100% default i guess? anyhow switched steering servo and at 20% still as fast as 100 starts slowing from 20% so at 20% it steers very fast quiet and smooth and crawled for an hour roughly and servo worked flawlessly and barely warm to touch no where near hot . seems problem is solved and probably not servo fault. however servo did overheat and glitch stall and lock up for a few seconds....and is now working perfect i think that shows that do to user error they can be beat overheated and take the misuse
Old 12-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #131
Rock Crawler

So is the general consensus on this servo by those who have one a (+ or a -)
I am thinking of getting one for my bomber build, either that or a Hitec 7954sh
Or waiting to see the new Holmes Hobbies servo.

Cheers,
Wade

Last edited by Wade; 12-15-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #132
Rock Crawler

I've been very happy with mine despite having sent it back to have the pot replaced. I've abused it pretty good including lots of wet and muddy driving. I had not done any waterproofing beyond stock so when it comes back I'll definitely be packing it with grease. I'm also curious to see what the new HH servos have to offer and am convinced that brushless is the way to go.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:17 AM   #133
Pebble Pounder

Still as happy with mine as day one. No issues so far. Super quiet, enough speed and torque, never gets hot. Very hot down here in Australia this time of year, cannot comment on wet and muddy but high temp days (30-40C) for hours on end without issue.
Slayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:14 AM   #134
I wanna be Dave

I have not had enough run time on mine to give it a + or - yet.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #135
I wanna be Dave

Wait, so one of these servo's failed due to water intrusion, which the manufacturer has warned us could happen...

And they are replacing it under warranty anyway? That seems to good to be true.

I'll be filling mine with grease before playing submarine.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #136
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Wait, so one of these servo's failed due to water intrusion, which the manufacturer has warned us could happen...

And they are replacing it under warranty anyway? That seems to good to be true.

I'll be filling mine with grease before playing submarine.
Yes, John is covering mine under warranty. I will also be packing the case with grease before it goes back in.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #137
Quarry Creeper

I just ordered up a V3 yesterday. I read up all I could....the good and the bad. It was the customer service that sold me(though I hope I dont need it)

I will give a trail report later
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #138
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman71 View Post
I just ordered up a V3 yesterday. I read up all I could....the good and the bad. It was the customer service that sold me(though I hope I dont need it)

I will give a trail report later
Funny timing, I bought one friday, and recieved it monday. I have a couple packs through it so far. You're right about the customer service. I already had a great conversation with John.

I was expecting to have size issues, but once it was under the hood I couldn't believe the clearance I had, compared to a mg996 or the solar.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #139
I joined the Band!

After running my HV500 for about 3 weeks , Comping. Mine started acting wonky, Not wanting to center. Just generally shitting the bed when in a bind my 7950 would steer out of with ease..

I messaged John about it, Got a very generic reply after about a week of waiting, Just said f-it and put a 7950 back in, and the HV500 will be sitting in a box.. Its a shame too, Because I tell people all the time to buy HH, This is one I have trouble recommending tho.

The biggest issue I had with it was it did not know where center was, Sometimes it was here, Sometimes it was a there.
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:21 PM   #140
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn View Post
After running my HV500 for about 3 weeks , Comping. Mine started acting wonky, Not wanting to center. Just generally shitting the bed when in a bind my 7950 would steer out of with ease..

I messaged John about it, Got a very generic reply after about a week of waiting, Just said f-it and put a 7950 back in, and the HV500 will be sitting in a box.. Its a shame too, Because I tell people all the time to buy HH, This is one I have trouble recommending tho.

The biggest issue I had with it was it did not know where center was, Sometimes it was here, Sometimes it was a there.
Well you never know with CS

I have seen John all over the fourm and you would think his CS would be a bit better than that
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote

ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Billet Motorola Droid Razr Case JFAB Vendors Miscellaneous 2 01-14-2013 08:24 PM
Angry Apple Ipod billet case motoworx Vendors Miscellaneous 31 08-15-2012 06:12 PM
metal gears , billet case , coreless motor servo CHEAP BL-4x4 Electronics 2 01-04-2012 09:21 PM