Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Budget shock advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Budget shock advice

Hello community, first off, Happy New Year! I'm looking for some heads up on some good budget shocks in the 100mm range, give or take e few mm. I'm looking to buy 4 pair and hoping to stay under $100. Not sure if that is possible so would appreciate all suggestions, even those not under my budget. Thanks.
Minoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Budget shock advice

I've read elsewhere in this forum that the Gmade shocks work well but it is advisable to fit the Traxxas X-rings to make leaks less likely.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Yes
Gmade XDs are awesome. For 25$ the diaphragm version comes with aluminum caps and medium springs.
You can buy soft or hard springs and with xrings and green slime, they don't leak at all.

Best 50$ I spent for my Bomber

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:37 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Traxxas big bores are smooth as butter, easily tunable and can be found for cheap as take offs.

They've easily outperformed several others I've tried.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #5

Traxxas shocks are the best "budget" shocks under $100 IMO. Either the Big Bores or the TRX-4 take off shocks.

100mm is kinda long on a scaler. What chassis are you putting these on?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #6

Definetly the traxxas big bores
Thompson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Geez, just noticed I started this thread in the electronics section... Sorry about that! These shocks are going to go on a custom 8x8. I had asked in another section about the various 8x8s on the market, didn't really get much feedback and don't feel comfortable spending that kind of money on an unproven rig so I decided just to build one. I have a friend who is a wizard at 3d printing, has various tools (lathe, drill press, etc) to make whatever we might need so we decided to give it a go.

I'm sure some of you have seen the apocalypse looking 8x8 based on an Exceed 8x8. There are a couple vids online to take a gander if not. Anyway, I seen that and thought, "What an unwieldy, top heavy looking machine. I'm sure there's a way to get better performance outta something like that."

So we talked it over and think we can build something along the same lines...

Since I already have an upgraded Redcat RS10, we decided to start with those axles. I'll be picking up another for the other axles, links, and motors. My friend will be cutting a twin plate chassis from carbon fiber that will be 4 pieces so the chassis can flex on a 3d printed hinge in the middle of the axles. It will also have 8 wheel steer. He will also be printing up a body and whatever we come up with for the rear end. Eventually a sound and smoke kit will be added but we're going to focus on getting it running first.

It'll be powered by 2 hobbywing 880s on 3s, have 4 JX 5830 servos for steering along with a cheap dual stick Flysky transmitter, and stock tires for now. I'll need to get some shocks and some shorter links eventually. This is definitely going to be a budget 8x8 and if it comes comes together well and I dig driving it, I'll upgrade as I go from there. Not only will this be my first build of 2020 but also my first custom build so I'm getting excited about it.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:45 PM   #8
Gold Star Baby!

Maybe some Capra take offs
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:58 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I like the Desert lizard shocks myself, very versatile and they come with a bunch of springs $50 for a set of 4 or 100 for all 8
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:12 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I second the Traxxas, as well as the Desert Lizard shocks. While not the best shocks from Traxxas (that would be the GTRs), the Big Bore shocks are quite good, and you can get an 8-pack for slightly less than $100. Likewise, four 2-packs of the Yeah Racing Desert Lizards will cost the same. As an alternate to the Traxxas Big Bore, you should also consider the Hot Racing Big Bore shocks, which are really good (and the same price).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Right on guys, I'll take a look around. I did try to look for some traxxas big bores before I posted, didn't find any that cheap or the ones I did find came in sets of 2 different lengths.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:22 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Damn, don't know if T-Maxx 3.3 shocks will work but man, those are cheap on ebay. 8 for less than $35. That's the kind of budget I'm talking about!
Old 01-02-2020, 09:06 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Think I'm gonna go with the desert lizards. I like the idea of internal springs, keep 'em outta the way of the tires. Any building tips? I've seen green slime mentioned in quite a few threads, what is this miracle leak preventer? I've never used it.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoa View Post
Think I'm gonna go with the desert lizards. I like the idea of internal springs, keep 'em outta the way of the tires. Any building tips? I've seen green slime mentioned in quite a few threads, what is this miracle leak preventer? I've never used it.
You don't need green slime with internal springs since there is no oil in them. Just a few drops to wet the pistons.

The green Slime is a thick silicone-like goo and it's very good for the shock orings. It seals them while still keeping smooth movement and no leaks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:05 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Desert Lizards would be soft as hell without oil, pretty much useless.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:00 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Yeah, everything I read about the desert lizards mentioned shock oil being used.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoa View Post
Yeah, everything I read about the desert lizards mentioned shock oil being used.
You'll definitely want to use oil. Those shocks are very tunable, just keep in mind they are pita, every spring change requires a complete rebuild of the shock.

Budget shock advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock & spring advice for GCM shock hoops. Ca. Off Roader Vaterra Twin Hammers 11 01-04-2016 12:17 PM
Need some advice on a budget FOFF build jtessmer88 Formula Offroad 2 11-13-2014 03:55 PM
Transmission Advice On a Budget!!! alexchen86 Axial Wraith 4 04-25-2013 03:41 PM
need advice, setup on budget 200$ nitrooxide Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 05-20-2012 12:58 AM
Need ESC and Motor advice (on a budget) JACZOR Electronics 1 01-07-2011 05:06 AM